Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   When is an International Driver's License needed? In France? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/when-is-an-international-drivers-license-needed-in-france-990825/)

kenav Sep 5th, 2013 05:35 AM

When is an International Driver's License needed? In France?

My husband got one for Italy and we're glad we did because 5 minutes after leaving the parking lot from Venice Airport we got stopped by police. However, we're gong to Corsica (first Nice without car) tomorrow and now he's a bit nervous that he didn't get one for that country.

Also, there's something called a "Translated Driver's License". Ever hear about that? Sounds the same as an International one.

StCirq Sep 5th, 2013 06:31 AM

As of May 26, 2013, the IDP has been required by law in France. I've never heard of a Translated Driver's License, but since that's all the IDP is, it's probably the same thing.

Robert2533 Sep 5th, 2013 07:45 AM

There is only the IDP, International Driving Permit, issued by AAA in the States and Canada. There is no legal instrument known as an International Driver's License, or Translated Driver's License.

The IDP contains your name, photo and driver information translated into 10 languages, nothing else, and is pretty much of a waste of time, but required in Italy, Spain and now France. An IDP is valid only when accompanied by your U.S. or Canadian-issued driver’s license.

You can read about the scams at: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...-license-scams

joannyc Sep 5th, 2013 08:14 AM

If you don't have time to get a new IDP, take your old one even if it is expired.

fmpden Sep 5th, 2013 08:31 AM

Just to confirm Robert's comments, there is no such thing as an International Driver's License. You need an International Driver's Permit which is only a translation of your current driver's license. Both are required to be presented together when requested by law enforcement. Someone recently reported that they made a illegal left turn, was stopped, didn't have a IDP, was fined immediately 250E, and were threatened with impoundment of vehicle. So for $30 why take a chance even if you think it is a waste of time.

kenav Sep 5th, 2013 08:36 AM

We just called Avis about our rental in Corsica and they told us we didn't need an IDP!

We don't have the expired one. Yow. And we don't have time to get one since we leave tomorrow.

kenav Sep 5th, 2013 09:00 AM

OK. Called AAA - We can get there today and they give it you right away. Hopefully we got someone on the phone who knows what they're talking about!

janisj Sep 5th, 2013 09:06 AM

>>We just called Avis about our rental in Corsica and they told us we didn't need an IDP!<<

Actually has nothing to do w/ the rental agency. Doesn't matter if they require one or not. It is a legal requirement . . i.e. a French law not an Avis rule.

joannyc Sep 5th, 2013 09:23 AM

Yes, AAA will give it to you on the spot.... 2 passport-size photos and $15 if I recall the cost correctly. Need to show your US license so they can transfer the info.

kerouac Sep 5th, 2013 10:34 AM

An IDP is obligatory in Italy and useless and unwanted in France.

kerouac Sep 5th, 2013 10:37 AM

Should I sign that "former Avis France employee and cousin of a French highway patrolman?"

Michael Sep 5th, 2013 11:08 AM

Kerouac,

If "former Avis employee" predates May 26, 2013, it grants no expertise standing.

Sarastro Sep 5th, 2013 11:12 AM

I wouldn't worry about the IDP as long as you have your official and legal license with you. The French Police are very adept at finding your name and your address on your license.

lemarais Sep 5th, 2013 11:14 AM

IDP not necessary in either France or Italy! I was in both countries this past July, and was examined a couple of times by the police and no problem with my NJ Driver's License only.

IDP is NOT an official document, it is issued for profit by a private Companyh, AAA, and has no legal status in any country.

janisj Sep 5th, 2013 12:00 PM

lemarais: >>IDP not necessary in either France or Italy! I was in both countries this past July, and was examined a couple of times by the police and no problem with my NJ Driver's License only.

IDP is NOT an official document, it is issued for profit by a private Companyh, AAA, and has no legal status in any country.<<

sorry, but that is Terrible advice. Even though YOU didn't need it, it IS a legal requirement. If one were to have a problem and the officers DID ask for it . . . not only would you have a problem w/ them, your insurance would very likely be void because you were driving illegally.

Consider it like cheap insurance - 99.9% of the time one doesn't need it -- but that .1% can be a killer.

TPAYT Sep 5th, 2013 12:15 PM

bookmarking

alohatoall Sep 5th, 2013 12:21 PM

I agree with Janisj that the advice given by lemarais is terrible with respect to Italy, and now it looks like France too. I've found 2 web sites that indicate a translation or IDP is now required in France: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...rs/F1459.xhtml and http://www.ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article376. Is this what you were referring to, StCirq and Michael, or do you have some additional info you could give those of us who are going to France soon? Thanks in advance!

fmpden Sep 5th, 2013 12:38 PM

I wonder if Lemarais is willing to put his money on the table and pay any fines? Probably not. Remember he has nothing at risk when offering that advice. On the other hand -----

Bob H, Decorah, Iowa, 1/6/12 ...... My valid Iowa license was not good enough for them and I was fined 250 Euros on the spot. They also threatened to impound the car. A visit to the U.S. Embassy the next morning provided no help. I should have gotten the IDL before we left. ......

So who do you want to believe ??? - an opinion or an experience.

alohatoall Sep 5th, 2013 12:51 PM

Fmpden, where was the Iowa license not valid?

kerouac Sep 5th, 2013 12:57 PM

Ha ha, get an IDP if you want to waste your money before you come to France. You will return from your holiday with a totally untouched souvenir.