Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

when did Fodors put a limit on the length of the posts?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

I noticed that I had a lot of probs trying to post a long, thorough message to a message. I just noticed that another person on this board has been trying unsuccessfully to post an evidently long message too - he has tried about 5 times from the looks of it (blank messages, like mine).

is there a problem right now, or is this permanent?

just curious. I can tend to be long winded, I thought it was the cyberspace gods telling me to shut up already...

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:43 AM
mike

I have been having trouble and like you I was trying to produce a lengthy post. I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for letting me know it was not just me.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Lesli

Don't know what the problem is, but rather than starting a new thread, may I suggest that those trying to re-post their information do so by "replying" to their original post? That way, there will (hopefully) be something attached to that heading, and there will not be three different headings without any content. Just a thought....

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Thelongpost

Get a clue, folks!

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Dawn

The same thing happened to me when I wrote up my trip report. The second time I wrote it in word and pasted it in but it still came out blank. Then I did it in one post but replied to myself and completed it this way (I did it town by town by doing a reply for each different town) Well this worked but the message only stayed up for 2 days then disappeared, no matter how hard I did a search for it. I've left it at that and haven't posted it again.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Chris

All computers, even those belonging to Fodors have storage capacity limits.

This is supposed to be a travel related forum and yet so much space is wasted in storing posts about whether ladies should still wear bras, etc.

While some of these comments may be entertaining, it is no wonder they are trying to get our attention regarding space concerns.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:47 AM
frank

The amount of space occupied by text is MINISCULE.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:01 AM
frank

If storage space is the problem, surely they are being over-zealous.Text takes up a miniscule amount of space.More likely it's something to do with the size of file they allocate when they send all the messages against a post for viewing (when you click on a post).
Long posts are usually valuable.Deleting valuable data on the grounds of slight inconvenience is the hallmark of IS nerds.
I remember we were preparing to shut down our entire facility for a week so that the nerds could install some new revs.(shutdown cost of millions)
While we were organising it I asked "what happens if we don't do this?"
The nerds were aghast."well, we'd have to come in over Xmas & do it"
Exit nerd pusued by bear.
Sorry if I don't have much time for these guys, but bitter experience has led me to it!
Try the BOFH tales in theregister.co.uk

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Wendy

You're right, Frank, I work with computers a lot so I know it's not a storage space problem at all and disk space is dirt cheap nowadays. It would make more sense just to delete posts that are real old rather than limiting current ones (I don't know what Fodors does about the old ones, I presume they archive them eventually, but have never looked). I've seen this happen on other BBs, it's some file limitation size thing as Frank says, Fodors isn't as bad as some boards. I've seen some very long posts on here so those truncated posts must have been whoppers--just post in parts, that's all. Sometimes it's just traffic though, and no post will take regardless of the size, so it could have just been that. Storage is cheap and it really isn't a matter of certain posts taking up valuable space that more high-minded posts should be occupying (even though I thought the post on bras was dumb, not to mention the women looking for cyber-admiration when disingenuously seeking advice about going topless et al on the beach, being sure to describe their physical attributes and claiming they aren't "hung up" on physical stuff, they just want to be "comfortable" in front of their adolescent son). I think your IQ should be bigger than your bra size to be allowed to go topless.