Wheels or no wheels on luggage

Jul 2nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Liz

Wheels or no wheels on luggage

I have a "which suitcase" question. I have two small Eagle Creek suitcases. One is definitely carry-on (7 x 14 x 21"), very light, converts to a backpack, but is just a tad too small (I think my cosmetics case takes up a third of it). The other is a bit bigger, expandable (8 x 14 x 22", expands to about 16"), may not qualify as carry-on when it's fully packed, has wheels and a pull handle, and also converts to a backpack. However, because of the wheels, it would be rather heavy as a backpack, I think.

I know in airports the wheeled luggage is great, and I take it whenever we are going on an airport-to-rented car kind of trip. However, it seems to me it would be impractical on cobblestone streets or going down subway stairs--I'd have to carry it then.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the pros and cons of wheels in European towns and cities (we will be carless in Venice, Florence, Milan, Levanto).Thanks.

Liz

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:06 AM
elaine

Hi Liz
Regarding carry-ons, be sure to check with your airline as to size and
WEIGHT restrictions--some are quite strict.
I've traveled with wheelies and without, and to some of the cities you mention. It's true that wheels don't help much on stairs or uneven streets, but I'd for sure rather have them than not have them.
Someone here once mentioned "testing" your luggage at home before traveling by
trying to walk it around the block--if you can't manage it at home, you surely can't manage it while traveling.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:18 AM
Liz

Hi Elaine,

The reply function doesn't seem to be working for me at Fodors. When I click on send I get a bizaar warning about security risks in downloading files from the internet! (I got the dimension of the expansion wrong--it expands from 9"to 11").

Thanks, Elaine. So in Venice what did you end up doing--wheeling or carrying?
Good idea about trying it around the block.

Liz

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:24 AM
Wheels

I agree. Definitely better to have wheels than not to have them! We were in Florence and even though we stayed out in the countryside, it was still always convenient to roll our luggage when we had the opportunity.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:24 AM
Liz

Odd--the reply function did work in Internet Explorer, just not in Netscape.

My second post reads a bit oddly because I was all set to send you an email and then just copied and pasted it into a reply.

Liz

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:32 AM
elaine

Flew into Milan then on to Venice, with wheelies. From my final Vaporetto stop, wheeled my luggage for about a 5-minute walk to my hotel with no particular problem, even up and down a bridge. And thanked myself for having the wheels because my suitcases were MUCH too heavy, a mistake I will try not to repeat this fall.
What I will never do again, from another trip, is try to
adapt a non-wheelie suitcase by attaching it to a folding
luggage carts with wheels. The attaching and the unattaching and the folding and the unfolding and the stowing and the unstowing drove me crazy.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:03 AM
lisa

I have the same 8x14x22 Eagle Creek bag and love it and it is all I travel with. I don't think I've ever been disallowed from carrying it on board. You should check with whatever airline you're flying though. You DEFINITELY want wheels. I rarely use the backpack straps unless I have to climb lots and lots of stairs (for just a couple of flights it's usually easier just to pick it up).

Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:03 PM
Robin

Sorry to intrude with a peripheral question, but I wonder if anyone can help. Do any companies have wheeled luggage with longer-than-average handles for taller people? I love my wheeled bag, but sometimes have to hunch over a little to pull it. Over long distances this actually gets really uncomfortable. I also wondered if some sort of "extender" existed. I have seen people just add a strap, but I suspect that this would be too sloppy.

Any hints? Thanks.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Art

Robin, I have a samsenite on wheels where not only does the handle come up higher, but also has a retracting strap to hook other bags on to. I've been using if for traveling for 7 years now. It barely qualifies as a carry on, but it does except maybe on VA.
Regards
Art