Reload this Page >

What's your opinion on Cortona, Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:35 AM
kate

I'm planning on making a side trip to this town.<BR>On a side note (a little bit OT), is Frnaces Mayes' house still there?Just curious, I'm no fan of hers but rumor has it that since her 2nd book didn't do well in the best seller list, she either has moved or planning to move.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 11:47 AM
ellen j

I loved Cortona. There was a cross bow shoot when we were there---lots of fanfare, costumes and many laughing locals. It is enough off the beaten path, that you can avoid some of the tourists that haunt the hilltowns. We saw Mayes house from a distance and as of two years ago, she was still there. Cortona, Mayes or not, is still worth a visit.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Capo

Hi Kate. My girlfriend and I visited Cortona this past April and we both loved it. We originally intended to spend only a few hours there and then continue on to Arezzo and a few other nearby towns but we enjoyed it so much that we stayed the entire afternoon.<BR><BR>There are fabulous views of the Tuscan countryside, including Lake Trasimeno, from Cortona (especially from the Piazzale Garibaldi) and the town itself is wonderful for strolling. The hike up to the church, Santa Margherita, on top of the hill is taxing but it passes through some nice greenery and is very good exercise. <BR><BR>Three other things I'd recommend:<BR><BR>. If you're there in the late afternoon, stay for the passeggiata in the Via Nazionale, the main street which connects the Piazza della Repubblica with Piazzale Garibaldi. <BR><BR>. As noted above, the view south from the Piazzale Garibaldi is great, and Piazzale Garibaldi itself is quite the scene in the early evening. Also, at the nearby entrance to the public gardens is a very moving war memorial statue, an angel cradling a dead solider. <BR><BR>. I'd highly recommend a visit to the Il Papiro paper store on the Via Nazionale, just a few doors east of the Piazza della Repubblica. Not only does it have gorgeous paper products but the owner, Allesandra, was one of the funniest and most delightful Italians we met on our entire trip. <BR><BR>Here's a nice online map I found of Cortona, with a suggested sightseeing tour marked in red:<BR><BR>http://www.ian.pv.cnr.it/~qr97/tour1.html

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:23 PM
kate

Thank you both Ellen and Capo. I will then make it a point to visit this town.<BR><BR>Kate

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Betsy

We were in Tuscany last September, visiting Siena, San Gemignano, Chianti, and Cortona. Cortona was our least favorite -- stayed at Hotel San Michele and had a miserable dinner at the restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel. Don't think we'll go back to Cortona but would like to go back to the area around Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, etc.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Sonney

Spent a week last Aug using Cortona as a base. Very nice town. Yes Frances Mayes is still around. She actually lives a ways out of the city. Nice buildings to see etc. The town is on the side of a hill with the main street the only level street in town. Going into town turn right and climb up or go left and walk down the hill. Trains do not go into town must take bus from the base of the hill. Cars are not allowed into the main (old) part of town. The streets are to narrow. But Enjoy I would go back in a Second.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Kay

Kate:<BR><BR>We were in Cortona last summer. It is<BR>a wonderful walled town and you will be<BR>happy that you have chosen to go there for a visit. We stayed at Il Falconiere, which is outside of the town and very nice. After visiting many other towns in the area, Cortona remains our very favorite.<BR>Have a wonderful trip.<BR>Kay

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Kay

I didn't stay in Cortona, but I went out of my way to go there because I had read both of Frances Mayes books. I was very disappointed in it and drove right through.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Santa Chiara

You really can't "drive right through" Cortona. And I would take Cortona over tourist-trap San Gimignano any day.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:15 PM
arney

Italian friends of mine who know Mayes say she still lives in Cortona and still owns Bramasole but does not live in it. She moved a mile or a kilometer (forget which) away because all the tourists looking at her house interfered with her privacy.<BR><BR>arney

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Grandma

Good Grief!! I agree with Santa C......you can't drive THRU Cortona. you can't even drive up the main street unless your staying at one of the hotels in town. Unless.. by some chance one does get a car into town and then has to get out!!! ( That's happened to us a few times... but long ago before auto restrictions became so prevalent.) In any event.... there is NO WAY one can see Cortona from a car.]Sigh.....

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Kay

I didn't plan to see Cortona from a car. It just didn't appeal to me enough to stop.