Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Tuscan town and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 02:38 PM
jparis

Thanks for all the help on travelling from Florence to Venice by train. <BR>Now I would love to hear what people's favorite towns in Tuscany and why - setting up a visit for 3 days - thanks so much

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:59 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

No way to give one answer. So, here are my choices: <BR>Large--Florence--it all happened here <BR>Medium--Siena--a museum unto itself <BR>Small--Volterra--authenticity

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:00 PM
betsy

Hi Bob! Glad you're back. How'd it go?

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 06:22 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hey Betsy, The Doc said I was a perfect uuhmmmm----specimen. As Larry told me, the prep was worse than the procedure. I am good for another 40,000 miles of travel, but there is no warranty.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 06:48 AM
betsy

Bob <BR> <BR>Been there; done that. Likewise, I survived--there were moments that I wasn't sure about that! Congrats on your clean bill of health. Happy new year and happy travels in 2001. I eagerly await your Italy report this spring.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Elsa

There must be lots of people who can respond to this question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Larry

Hi, that is a tough question and are you including Florence?? We stayed in Castellina in Chianti and really enjoyed it - quaint, good restaurants and convenient for exploring

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:10 PM
liz

Lucca, a wonderful medieval town where one can sometimes feel like you are the only tourist around. <BR> <BR>Volterra, another quiet gem, alabaster everywhere! <BR> <BR>San Gimignano, amazing after 5p.m.! Arrive after the tour buses have left, do some shopping, visit some galleries, have dinner, then head for the piazza for some music with your gelato! <BR> <BR>Pienza, the perfect renaissance town, wander the streets and pick up some amazing pecorino cheese. <BR> <BR>Montalcino, home to the best wine IMO the Brunello di Montalcino, wander through the town and check out some of the many Enoteca for tastings.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Santa Chiara

No one can really respond to this question. Look at the squabbles on other threads about Siena versus San Gimignano. <BR> <BR>You say cities or towns in Tuscany. Okay. There were 12 original Etruscan cities; look at the floor in the duomo in Siena, and you will see. By this definition, my favorites are Arezzo, Bologna (I know, I know, but look to history), Cortona, Siena and Volterra. <BR> <BR>But you may be looking for the more popular Tuscan tourist sites. (Florence is a given). I recommend Lucca, Siena, Volterra, Arezzo, and Pitigliano. I liked San Gimignano back in the mid '80s. It is now Pisa south for me. <BR> <BR>It all depends all on what you want to do: art, history, atmosphere, scenery, something new and different. For me, the art of the city, such as Piero della Francesco wfrescoes in Arezzo and points north, as well as some of the smaller, provincial musuems in the untouristed sites interest me. For others, it is the ability to go back and tell neighbors "been there, done that." This phenomenon and Rick Steves, thank-you-very-much, have led to the Cinque Terre phenomenon, but I digress. . . <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:36 PM
kam

Agree that this is an impossible question, but I also like Arezzo for the beautiful della Francesca frescos if nothing else! If you do go there, also make the trip to the minute little town of Capresse Michelangelo where himself was born and baptised. Up in the Garfagnana is a lovely little hill town, Barga--very typical of Tuscany.Almost anywhere in Tuscany is wonderful--throw away the map and follow the little roads!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 03:47 PM
John

For me, going to Cortona is like a trip to heaven. And while you are there go to its small art museum which has the MOST beautiful painting by Fra Angelico of the Annunciation. The angel in that painting keeps the viewer, as well as Mary, in continual suspense. John.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Sherry

My votes for my favorites visits are <BR> <BR>Lucca <BR>Volterra <BR>San Giminango (yes, when no tour buses are there!) <BR>Poppi(not a tourist to be found) <BR>Florence (David rocks) <BR>