Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing to do in Italy?

Jan 30th, 2001, 10:13 AM
liz

Just curious, I love all the art, architecture, just getting lost in small hill towns, gelato, pecorino, and of course wine wine wine. What about you?

Jan 30th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Carey

some of my favorite Italian things:
The people! The wine! The men (sometimes)! The food! The desert! The art/architecture! The coast! The language! The passion for life! Basically everything!

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:57 PM
T.E.Lawrence

I didn't know there were deserts in Italy !

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Thatīs good

Deserts = candies! lol

Jan 30th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Dottie

getting "lost" in Venice, so much to see, the people are so friendly! Food & shopping terrific! Florence, absorbing all that art and LEATHER!! Best wines I've ever tasted!!! Rome, take the time. see all the usual sights first!

Jan 30th, 2001, 05:28 PM
will

My favorite thing that I did was in Rome... one morning I woke up to find that it was raining very hard. So, I left the hotel & got on a city bus & rode around all morning long. I have absolutely no idea where I went. When the rained stopped just before noon I got off the bus and found something to eat. I was somewhere in a residential area outside of the city walls! It was the most fantastic morning!

Jan 30th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Jeanette

Everything all above mentioned, yes desserts too, but most of all I love the light. The light looks irridescent blue shot with pure gold. I have seen many beautiful places and some more majestic/ awesome (like Yosemite) but the sunlight in Italy has a quality that makes the light seem a solid. Didn't understand the Italian focus on art until I saw the sun embrace a mountain of lemon trees. Only remotely similar light I've seen has radiated from inside the glass ceilings of some
skyscrapers in Chicago- but never outside.