Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Whats your favorite place in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-your-favorite-place-in-europe-697887/)

Chenoa7 Apr 17th, 2007 09:10 PM

Whats your favorite place in Europe?

Im planning a trip to Europe this summer with a friend. We are going lots of places Ireland, England, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland and maybe more. I just wanted to know from all of you travelers, or people who live in the area, what's your favorite place in Europe? What cities, places or activities should we be sure not to miss?

hausfrau Apr 18th, 2007 12:45 AM

I happen to be particularly fond of a country called Germany that is not on your list... ;-)

Seriously, though, are you traveling for three months or more? I have a feeling you are trying to do way too much in too little time. Tell us what you like to see and do and how much time you have and you will get more helpful responses.

ferdia Apr 18th, 2007 12:55 AM

County Clare, Ireland.

SuzieCII Apr 18th, 2007 05:18 AM

Paris then the rest of France

ira Apr 18th, 2007 05:27 AM

Hi C,

>We are going lots of places Ireland, England, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland and maybe more.

How many months do you have?

((I))

jgwagner4 Apr 18th, 2007 05:35 AM

I have to agree with Hausfrau. Germany is the best place to visit in Europe from <b>my experience</b>. I believe it is also the best value for the number of great sites you can see, the level of safety you can enjoy and the amenities you receive.

missypie Apr 18th, 2007 05:42 AM

Paris will always top the list.

The Swiss Alps for scenery (the classic &quot;calendar&quot; view of mountains reflected in a lake, with cattle grazing nearby).

Barcelona.

Florence.

lucielou Apr 18th, 2007 05:44 AM

Northern Italy:)

jelane Apr 18th, 2007 05:45 AM

I don't know how you are doing this, I am in the process of planning our trip for June and it is driving me nuts. Just figuring out the train schedules for Switzerland and Italy are a task for me. As far as the cities, London and Paris are wonderful cities, but hang on to your money with the exchange being so high. I have never been to Austria, that is for next year. Have a wonderful trip.

bettyk Apr 18th, 2007 07:19 AM

We are very partial to Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The scenery can't be beat and you will find a lot of diversity from mountains, lakes, museums, castles, big cities, tiny villages, wine growing areas, beerhalls, etc.

The roads are easy to navigate by car and the trains run on time.

blh Apr 18th, 2007 07:52 AM

As you can already see, everyone has a favorite country and/or city. We have been all the places you mentioned except for Ireland and Austria. Our favorite country by far is France and our favorite city is Paris. We love Burgundy and Provence. We leave next week for a two-week trip to France. This trip we will be in Normandy and Brittany and Paris. Good luck planning your trip - just don't try to see too many countries on one trip. Fewer is better.