Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's your favorite Paris jazz club? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-your-favorite-paris-jazz-club-606368/)

sandypaws3 Apr 9th, 2006 07:47 AM

What's your favorite Paris jazz club?

We loved the Bilboquet on the rue Saint Benoit, but we'd like to try a different jazz club in Paris. What's your favorite? Here's one I came across, the Café Universel, located on the rue St. Jacques, that has no cover charge and a good website. Has anyone ever been there?

http://www.cafe-universel.com/home

Le Bilboquet
13, rue Saint Benoît 75006
Tel: 01 45 48 81 84

Café Universel
267, rue St.-Jacques
Tel: 43 25 74 20

Sandy

Travelnut Apr 9th, 2006 10:13 AM

That's a new website just put up for Café Universel... I saw an ad for the place in the Paris Voice magazine months ago.

While waiting for responses to 'fave jazz spots', I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
My husband and I usually drink beer and wine for our alcoholic beverages. Do these type of clubs readily sell these by the glass, or is it more cocktails/liquor that is sold?
Do you buy your drink directly from a bartender or do they have table service?
If you buy from the bartender can you then take your drink to a table? (or is there a 'tier' system in bars, too).
Thanks..

cigalechanta Apr 9th, 2006 10:15 AM

7Lezards in the Marais.

cigalechanta Apr 9th, 2006 10:19 AM

The New Morning Jazz Club
7-9 rue des Petites Ecuries (10th arrondissement) Metro: Chateau d'Eau, reservations:01 45 23 51 41 - This well known club, celebrated it's 20th year of existance in Paris in November 2001. Sometimes thought of as the place for jazz, Latin music, and blues in Paris

DucDesLombards
42, rue des Lombards (1st arr.) Metro:Chatelet Some of the best French jazz players can be heard here.

Baiser Sale
58 rue des Lombards (1st arr.) Metro: Chatelet reservation: 01.42.33.37.71.

Small ambiant club know for it's mostly Latin or Afro Jazz.

Sunside (Sunset)
60, rue des Lombards (1st arr.)Métro: Châtelet, les Halles. reservation : 01.40.26.21.25.
Another celler of jazz, that attracts French and American jazz artists.
Petit Opportun
15, rue des Lavandières-Sainte-Opportune (1st arr.)Métro: Châtelet. reservation: 01.42.36.01.36. Jazz celler of instermental variety:New Orleans sounds and bebop.

Slow Club
130, rue de Rivoli (1er arr.) Métro: Châtelet, Pont-Neuf.
reservation: 01.42.33.84.30.

7 Lézards
10 rue Rosiers, (4th arr.)(Sunday jam sessions)

Caveau de la Huchette
5 rue de la Huchette (5th) 01 43 26 65 05 Metro:St.Michel
Jazz club located in a medieval cellar filled with great sound and comfortable atmosphere.

Le Caveau des Oubliettes
52 rue Galande, (5th arr.)---SUN thru WED

Petit Journal Saint-Michel
71, bd Saint-Michel (5th arr.)Métro: Luxembourg. reservation: 01.43.26.28.59.

Hippocampus

81, bd Raspail (6th arr.)Métro: Saint-Placide, Sèvres-Babylone.
reservation: 01.45.48.10.03.
La Nouvelle Eve
25, rue Fontaine (9th arr.)Métro: Blanche. reservation : 01.47.70.51.22.

Le Poulfanc
310, rue de Charenton (12th arr.) Métro: Dugommier, Porte-de-Charenton. reservation : 01.44.75.01.55.

Melody Blues
quai de Bercy (12th arr.) Metro Cour-Saint-Emilion, weekly Wednesday night jazz.

Guinguette pirate
quai de la Gare (13th arr.)Métro: Quai-de-la-Gare. reservation : 01.56.29.10.20. variety, jazz, rock, world eclectic sounds.

Utopia
79 rue de l'Ouest (14th arr.) Metro:Pernety
reservations: 01 43 22 79 66

Petit Journal Montparnasse
13, rue du Commandant-René-Mouchotte (14th arr.) Métro: Gaîté, Montparnasse-Bienvenüe. Reservations: 01.43.21.56.70.

Jazz Club Lionel-Hampton
81, bd Gouvion-Saint-Cyr (17th arr.) Métro: Porte-Maillot. Reservations: 01.40.68.30.42.
Mostly American play in a sumptuous hotel bar.

Studio des Islettes
10 rue des Islettes, (18th arr.) SUN thru THUR (Wed. singers only)

Bab-ilo
9, rue du Baigneur (18th arr.)Métro: Jules-Joffrin.
reservation : 01.42.23.99.19.
Autour de midi et minuit

11, rue Lepic (18th arr.) Métro: Blanche. reservation : 01.55.79.16.48.

Le Houdon

5, rue des Abbesses (18th arr.)Métro: Abbesses. reservation : 01.46.06.35.91

Falaises

27, rue Germain Pilon (18th arr.) Métro: Abbesses, Pigalle.
reservation : 01.46.06.31.93.

Le Divan du Monde
75 rue des Martyrs (18th arr.) Métro: Pigalle. reservations: 01 44 92 77 66 Open: Daily
Great live World Music.

La Flèche d'Or
102 rue de Bagnolet (20th arr.) Métro:Alexandre Dumas
reservation: 01 43 72 04 23
A former railway station.
Quai Du Blues

17 bd Vital Bouhot 95-Neuilly-sur-Seine 01 46 24 22 00

this list is courtesy of Michel, destinationparis

Travelnut Apr 9th, 2006 11:58 AM

I think sandypaws is looking for more personalized information or a recommendation...
and then there are those couple of questions I threw in for personal use..
thanks!

summer Apr 9th, 2006 03:07 PM

ttt

bardo1 Apr 10th, 2006 04:09 AM

I'll second 7 lezards - http://7lezards.com/ highly recommended for contemporary jazz.

Like any city, the best music has some kind of cover charge, this place included.

They have table service (including beer by the glass).

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 07:42 AM

travelnut,
I can only speak of our experience at Le Bilboquet. I'm sure we ordered beer or wine, as we don't like mixed drinks. We didn't go to the bar. The bar tender came around and took orders, and it was expensive -- 20 euros for a drink -- but no cover charge, and they didn't push more drinks on you. I can't say table service, as we were just sitting in a chair with no table. The tables are only for those having dinner. We enjoyed it, though, as we were sitting right up by the little stage.

I think the website that I gave for the Café Universel is the new one you're talking about.

Sandy

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 07:46 AM

cigalechanta,
Thanks for sharing Michael's very complete list!

Sandy

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 07:50 AM

bardo1,
Thanks for the recommendation of 7 Lézards and the website :-)

Sandy

Travelnut Apr 10th, 2006 07:52 AM

OK, we'll try for beer or wine when we go..
I had earmarked the Universel b/c I'd seen it in the Paris Voice and it isn't too far from Denfert, where we stay. So your discovery of the website is great since it has a calendar of events on it.

I'm thinking about trying Caveau des Oubliettes in the 5th also...

It's ok if the drinks are expensive in lieu of a cover, it works out just the same...

I didn't mean that the list of clubs wasn't appreciated but I, too, would enjoy getting comments from people who've actually been inside a place.

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 08:00 AM

I thought Le Bilboquet had a website, and I finally found it:

http://jazzclub.bilboquet.free.fr/

Sandy

cigalechanta Apr 10th, 2006 08:07 AM

At the 7lezards, the jazz is downstairs below the restaurant. It was not a dinner I'd recommend.
I only gave the list so others would know what's available or maybe trigger someone's memory, pshaw!

Rillifane Apr 10th, 2006 08:09 AM

I hit Le Petit Journal Saint-Michel last month. A very pleasant and very friendly place.

I chatted with an English couple. The guy was a horn player (I'm a singer).

We asked the band if we could sit in and were warmly received by both the musicians and the audience.

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 08:16 AM

travelnut,
I thought the same thing about the drink taking the place of the cover charge. It's great to have both the list of jazz clubs and personal recommendations.

Sandy

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 08:20 AM

Hi cigalechanta,
Thanks for the information about the dinner at 7 Lézards! If we go there, we'll definitely not have their dinner. When we went to Le Bilboquet we didn't eat there either, but just went to listen to the music at about 10:30 PM.

Sandy

Christina Apr 10th, 2006 08:21 AM

I don't care for jazz that much, so don't have any particular recommendations, not having listened to it that much in Paris to compare -- Caveau de la Huchette is fun if you want that kind of jazz (swing or New Orleans, usually).

However, if you want a complete and up-to-date list of places, all you have to do is look in the "jazz" section of the music listings in Pariscope or some entertainment guide like that, which you should buy when you are in Paris. It's only a euro or so and tells you everything going on for a week in Paris. It will also list times and who is playing, what nights,k so you can choose by that -- and it will give cover charges.

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 08:26 AM

Christina,
Thanks for the recommendation of Caveau de la Huchette! I will buy Pariscope, as we have before, although we were looking for a different kind of music then -- free concerts at the churches. When we went to Le Bilboquet, I had planned that beforehand, so didn't look for other jazz clubs. What I really miss is the Pariscope website, as it was so useful.

Sandy

sandypaws3 Apr 10th, 2006 08:55 AM

Rillifane,
Thanks for the recommendation of Le Petit Journal Saint-Michel :-) Sounds like a friendly place. How fun to sit in with the band!

Sandy

Christina Apr 11th, 2006 01:38 PM

the Pariscope website was useful, guess they figured there was no money in that. There used to be a great Paris jazz website, also, but it is now closed (jazzvalley.com).

For the major clubs or names, you can usually get listings and tickets on the online ticket sales agents websites like www.ticketnet.fr or www.fnac.com