Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's your favorite London Walk? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-your-favorite-london-walk-946553/)

ksbeem Aug 13th, 2012 11:34 AM

What's your favorite London Walk?

Just wondering which tours with London Walks to take in mid-September. Been on two before -- Royal Westminster and the ghost walk in Old London. I want to do the British Museum one because that seems like a good way to take in the museum for the first time.

We like any and all topics, so suggest away.

We'll in London for a week. Any other favorites you could suggest? We enjoyed the two we took a year ago so much.

Thanks in advance.

lennyba Aug 13th, 2012 11:52 AM

We enjoyed the Hampstead village walk and the Inns of Court walk last fall. The West End Ghosts is also fun.

ksbeem Aug 13th, 2012 12:07 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

jamikins Aug 13th, 2012 02:54 PM

We like all their pub walks. Also st Paul's, and their explorerer days

carolyn Aug 13th, 2012 03:53 PM

I've done Inns of Court and Shakespeare's & Dickens' London and loved both of them.

Mary24 Aug 14th, 2012 01:50 AM

I've done 20-25 of the 2 hour London walks since I've been in London the last couple of years - hundreds more still to do when I have time, this is such a terrific resource. All have been at least OK and some I've very much enjoyed - some guides are terrific, most are very good, only a couple I now avoid. I've done the London Museum walk (with guide Tom) and very much enjoyed this - such a good start to looking round the BM, left to myself it would have been overwhelming on a first visit. Also enjoyed the V&A walk with Margaret. There is a Sunday morning occasional walk they do called Underground London - Banksy & Co, which I did at the beginning of the year which I loved (totally unexpected.)
Have now done about 10 of their Explorer Days, my favourites were the 2 trips that Hilary does - Colchester & Constable country and the Winchester trip. The one-day trip to the Cotswolds was also great.

Mary24 Aug 14th, 2012 01:54 AM

Oops,when I said London Museum I meant British Museum.

ellen75005 Aug 14th, 2012 01:55 AM

We took two, Inns of the Court and the canals, and enjoyed both of them. We would never have known that the canal existed without the walk. Click on my name; I posted the same question in February and got some good information. Our guide happened to be Shawn both times - he was fantastic.

Have a great time!

LCWT Aug 14th, 2012 02:04 PM

London Walks are very good, but there are a number of different walks run by other companies that explore the capital from different perspectives.

Take a look at those that offer the stranger side of the city and the smaller companies that will take you "off the beaten track", as London is the one city that produces the bizarre and unknown tucked away right next to the regular tourist haunts.

Even those that run similar tours to London Walks can, on occasion, offer something more. The Jack the Ripper walk offered by London Walks led by the excellent and authority on the subject, Donald Rumbelow, was beaten into second place for me by the lesser-known variety that offered the intriguing "Rippervision"; the guide produced a hand-held projector that displayed images, several feet high, of what the streets and murder sites originally looked like in 1888 as well as the police and coroner photographs of the victims themselves (not for the weak of stomach on a couple of images)and this really brought to life the Victorian East End.

twoflower Aug 14th, 2012 04:31 PM

If you can lay your hands on a book called "The Green London Way" by Bob Gilbert, you'll find lots of walks all around London's green belt and therefore a pleasant and quieter change from most city walks. We did one from Finsbury Park station along a disused railway cutting then through some suburban lanes to Queens Wood, along a wooded terrace with great views, and on to Alexandra Palace. The same walk as far as Queens Wood can also (instead) split off through Highgate and down through Hampstead Heath, finishing up with a cool refresher at the Flask Inn in Hampstead.

ashcanannie Aug 14th, 2012 06:21 PM

Loved the Jack the Ripper tour but Rippervision sounds even better! Will definitely give it a try if ever in London again.

ncounty Aug 14th, 2012 06:27 PM

I enjoyed the Chelsea Pub Crawl but I don't see it offered currently.

lovs2travel Aug 14th, 2012 07:24 PM

I went on the Inns of Court - Legal and Illegal London, as well as Old Westminster by Gaslight and enjoyed both very much.