Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's your avorite greek island city? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-your-avorite-greek-island-city-426345/)

Hayden Apr 28th, 2004 06:11 AM

What's your avorite greek island city?

Visited Corfu last summer and loved Kassiopi and Corfu Town. I was wondering what your favorite city in the Greek islands is similar to Corfu Town.ie Cosmopolitan, beautiful, lively (but not too much so), shops and beaches nearby. Thanks for the help.

sheila Apr 28th, 2004 07:00 AM

Chania for a city and Paleochora for a smaller town. Both in Crete

KE1TH Apr 28th, 2004 07:26 AM

I found Old Town Rhodes with the Knights of St John Castle and the old harbor where the Colossus once stood to be fascinating. Walking the streets of Old Town, I felt like I was in a Ali Baba or Aladdin movie as the island has had many influences over the centuries.

SiobhanP Apr 28th, 2004 07:36 AM

I was in Corfu town during a Solar Eclipse. It was unforgetable. I found an off beat place called Gaffada (SP) full of Italians on a sandy beach with waves. It was much nicer than the dump of a beach near dassia we got stiuck with but hey thats cheapie package holidays for you.

Hayden Apr 28th, 2004 08:03 AM

Thanks for the input. We will be somewhere next summer and wanted a comparable experience. I will take a look, but thought I might get some of your answers, perfect places.

Marilyn Apr 28th, 2004 09:00 AM

Based on your description, I vote with Sheila for Chania (Crete).

P_M Apr 28th, 2004 09:51 AM

Another vote for Rhodes!! As Keith mentioned, the harbor and the castle are beautiful, and the old town makes you feel like you have stepped back into the middle ages. From Rhodes you can do a day trip to Marmaris, Turkey by ferry. I am NOT an avid shopper, but I went nuts shopping in Rhodes because there were so many good deals on gold jewellry. From Rhodes City you can do a day trip to Lindos, also on the island of Rhodes. Lindos is beautiful, with the whitewashed buildings set against the crystal blue sea. I can't think of a Greek island I didn't like, but to me Rhodes was the most unique.

Frances Apr 28th, 2004 10:06 AM

I also love Chania and on a smaller scale, Skopelos town-one of the Sporades. The houses cascade down the hillside and the walls have an abundance of flowers growing over them.
You have a different charm to Molyvos on Lesbos-lovely stone houses.

sisterleebore2004 Apr 28th, 2004 11:53 AM

Chora, Serifos
Nikia, Nissyros
Chora, Anafi

brotherleelove2004 Apr 28th, 2004 12:16 PM

Oia, Santorini

FTP Jun 11th, 2006 06:36 AM

ttt

Steve_James Jun 12th, 2006 03:01 AM

I really liked Skiathos. Attractive town, beautiful island ...

Steve

Syl Jun 12th, 2006 04:57 AM

Chania 7 Oia

Syl Jun 12th, 2006 04:58 AM

OOps. Chania, Crete & Oia, Santorini.

babs2006 Aug 28th, 2006 05:43 AM

Hi, my personal fave is Lindos in Rhodes, its so different to anywhere else in Greece, picturesque, historic, everything you need catering for all tastes, but not for anyone with walking difficulties. Excellent tavernas, bars cafe etc... beautiful beaches, romanic, a photographers dream, the people are friendly, best times to visit, May/June and September/October.

Weadles Aug 28th, 2006 07:47 AM

Another vote for Chania, closed followed or perhaps equally matched by the Old Town in Rhodes! Both are absolutely fascinating, well worth a visit.

pbing Aug 28th, 2006 12:16 PM

another vote for Rhodes Town and Lindos

murphy89 Aug 28th, 2006 12:49 PM

Based on your description....I think you may enjoy Mykonos Town too :D

HappyTrvlr Aug 28th, 2006 04:14 PM

Chania, Naoussa, Mykonos Town