Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's wrong with me ?????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-wrong-with-me-727506/)

jaybee51 Aug 9th, 2007 01:41 AM

What's wrong with me ??????

I'm travelling thru Italy in mid-September for 2 weeks. And I want to stay in apartments.

And I have absolutely no accommodation booked yet !!!

I've read threads for hours and sent off requests to places I like but they are all booked.....

How do you guys manage it? I'm feeling overwhelmed and depressed and I'm beginning to seriously panic....

WillTravel Aug 9th, 2007 01:45 AM

Most people who are selective book much further ahead. But some people have last-minute successes with apartments too.

Why not post your requirements and budget, and maybe someone can help you?

Lawchick Aug 9th, 2007 01:57 AM

It's still possible. I booked some apartments in Italy a week ago.

Where are you going?

jaybee51 Aug 9th, 2007 01:58 AM

I come from New Zealand - our dollar doesn't buy much! I am travelling with my husband and two children - 13 and 17.

I would prefer to spend 120-180 euros per night. But maybe that's not enough.

I need an apartment
Venice 19/09 3 nights
Florence 22/09 3 nights
Rome 29/09 5 nights

Between Florence and Rome I had hoped to spend a couple of days each in Tuscany and Pompeii area.

endlessummer Aug 9th, 2007 02:03 AM

Which agencies have you tried?

Lawchick Aug 9th, 2007 02:04 AM

Sorry I haven't looked in these areas - but there is always something available.

What I somnetimes do is book a backup just in case. If you look at HRS.de you can find good prices on hotels and often they don't require a credit card to hold the room - then you can cancel at the last minute. Perhaps you should do this for peace of mind while you are looking for an apartment.

TuckH Aug 9th, 2007 02:16 AM

For Venice, try www.locandadelleacque.it

For Tuscany, try www.larasina.it

Lawchick Aug 9th, 2007 02:18 AM

Also, looking at your timeline, the Italians are often reluctant to rent apartments for such short periods - especially in September which is still considered peak. If they do rent them, they will be a bit more expensive usually.

Vimsen Aug 9th, 2007 03:16 AM

You could check out www.worldby.com for appartments and B&Bs in Italy. Have used them for Rome - www.romeby.com - with good experience. Found affordable and central accomodations. You can contact the individual appartments or use their online travel assistant service.

jaybee51 Aug 9th, 2007 04:22 AM

It's midnight here - so I'm off to bed. I've spent nearly two days on the internet with no success. So thanks for your latest suggestions - a quick look shows some possibilities. I'll try again tomorrow...

ira Aug 9th, 2007 05:28 AM

Hi J,

>I've spent nearly two days on the internet with no success.

Patience, dear friend, patience. :)

barbmike Aug 9th, 2007 05:41 AM

Hi J,

<how do you guys manage it?> Rather simple, start making reservations up to a year in advance not a month.

Good Luck!!

GSteed Aug 9th, 2007 05:57 AM

Many rooms and apartments are available and not advertised. European budget travelers use them. We had an enlightening experience in the USA. We stopped at a Holiday Inn, "Sorry no rooms, and no rooms for fifty miles.". A mile down the road we saw motel signs with the 'vacancy' light on. They were small independents. Clean and inexpensive and owned by recent immigrants. We found roadside motels all over Poland and Slovakia that don't use web advertising. Local tourist offices usually can find space on short notice.
There are B&Bs near the train station that simply put out a vacancy sign. Inquire within and ask to view the accommodations.

LJ Aug 9th, 2007 06:02 AM

jaybee...have you tried using a different search engine? For example, many folks in the UK have direct rentals that turn up on Google UK verus Google North America (just check the total number of hits to see the difference).

Or you can reconcile yourself to paying top-of-the line and contact a high-end agent like Parker Company: they have some wonderful bargains that are likely gone now, but they usually also have inventory at higher prices that languish until the desparate are ready to rent. (and, not to be mean, but one month away, you are now, officially, desperate!)

sjj Aug 9th, 2007 06:06 AM

My wife and I had good luck with an apartment in Rome rented by www.ilglicine.net/. The people at ilgicine were very helpful. Maybe if you called them they might be able to suggest something even if none of their own apartments is available. Another possibility is www.dolceroma.it/maps.html
Good luck.

cmeyer54 Aug 9th, 2007 08:17 AM

If you're willing to be truly intrepid travellers, i would suggest that you book a place for your first stop in advance and then go to the tourist info centers when you arrive at the next stops. They will have lists of places available that may not or are not advertized as well as last minute deals. My in-laws used that method and did well....however, they were also willing to be very flexible in both quality and location.

cmeyer54 Aug 9th, 2007 08:18 AM

Also be aware that your dates in Venice are still or very near the end of the venice film festival and in tuscany, you'll be close to harvest time. you might also try vrbo.com for some other rental options.

MaureenB Aug 9th, 2007 08:38 AM

These are not apartments, but small and well-priced hotels I can recommend:
Florence, the Relais Cavalcanti
Venice, the Hotel Riva or Casa Rezzonico

In Rome, the Domus Julia is an apartment-style hotel, owned by the Hotel Julia next door. We had a nice twin room, with a full breakfast served in the hotel, and we had use of a nice living room/dining room/kitchen.

All suggestions are in good locations for walking.

Good luck.
:)>-

sandi_travelnut Aug 9th, 2007 08:42 AM

Most apartments I've seen require a full week stay. I wish you luck in your search! Did you mention your budget per night?

Leely Aug 9th, 2007 09:23 AM

Try realrome.com. Let them know your situation and see if they can find anything for you. I looked into ilglicine (mentioned above) before, too.

I'd probably try to nail down Venice and Rome and worry about Florence/Tuscany less. Best of luck!