What's up at Louvre for Sunday March 4?

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up at Louvre for Sunday March 4?

I went to see about purchasing advance tickets to Louvre for Sunday March 4. But their official website shows not available for that day. All other days in March are available (except Tuesdays when Louvre is closed). Any idea why?
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 02:01 PM

Free First Sunday. Tickets not necessary
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I had forgotten about free first Sundays. Now I just have to decide if do that or something else. I want to see the special exhibit "Power Plays" during a long layover we have between a flight arriving early at CDG and a flight departing mid afternoon from Orly. I know Louvre doesn't take bags. We will be using left luggage at one of the train stations or a service like nannybags to leave it. What can we expect about crowds at Louvre on that morning? Would we have any advantage on a free first Sunday if we use the Carousel du Louvre entrance rather than the main entrance?
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The free Sundays -- particularly at this time of year -- are not at all a problem, especially if you visit in the morning. Basically, most tourists do not take advantage of the free days (except for the ultra research freaks) because they are either completely unaware that the day is free and they imagine that weekends will be more crowded anyway and to be avoided, or else people who do know about the free days and prefer to avoid them like poison because, ha ha, the Louvre will not be crowded on other days.

The vast majority of the free visitors are locals, either the truly poor of which there are indeed many, or else families with children who would rapidly become poor if they had to buy tickets for all of their offspring. People with children never go in the morning (except for the "weekend dads" -- but they normally have to go see some animated film with their weekend child). Families flock to the Louvre in the afternoon, just because it is impossible for most of the French to manage anything on a Sunday until they have had lunch. It all works out in the end.

One of the most important things to know about Paris is that the locals like to sleep in on the weekend, so enterprising early rising tourists really do have the city to themselves. Even on the occasions when I have a car and drive in Paris, there is practially no traffic on the streets, even on Saturday, until at least 10 a.m.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Families never have to buy tickets for their children as the Louvre is free if under age 18. And if a local resident, it is free to anyone under age 26. SO I don't think the reason is not having to buy tickets for the children. But could be not having to buy one for oneself if going with your children, as the ticket price is high.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 11:52 AM

People who never go to museums don't even know that it is free for children.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
mjs

Ive been to the Louvre on a free Sunday morning and it was very crowded. Not recommended.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:57 PM

Which month did you go?
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 09:40 PM

I had the same experience as mjs. We went in December 2016 and the lines were so long my husband and refused to wait. Worked out okay as their were plenty of other things on our to do list.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 11:03 PM
mjs

I am going to guess November, probably about 6-7 years ago. Have been to Paris over 30 times so hard to be perfectly accurate.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 02:29 AM

Well, February is the lowest tourist month and March is often the second lowest, but that depends on when Easter falls. I myself have only gone to the Louvre twice on free Sundays in the last ten years, but both times it was not a problem because I was there when it opened. I had certain wings completely to myself, such as the Scandinavian paintings (but I don't think that anybody ever looks at them anyway, no matter when). Everybody seems to want to go to the Louvre later for some reason. Too bad!