Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the shortcut to see the Sistine Chapel?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Jo Ann

I keep hearing there is a way to avoid the "body press" and the long walks and just be able to see the Chapel. HELP! Been once but want to go again minus the millions. Thanks!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:21 PM
First you

and ask, "did any of my brothers become an archbishop that I don't know about?"

but of course, if you've let family relationships get that distant, well...

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Ed

Absent bishops, archbishops and cardinals for relatives, the distance from the entrance to the Sistine is the same for all.

The secret is to:
1) Get in line early. 45-60 minutes before opening time seems to do it;
2) Ignore all the wonderfull eye candy on the way to the Sistine thus bypassing the few dozen who were in front of you on line.

With a bit of luck that will put you among the first dozen or so into the chapel, and well in front of the hundreds who will fill it in a relatively few minutes.

The downside? To see the rest of the museums you'll have to swim upstream. Think salmon!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Patsy Klontz

We made a mad dash to the Sistine Chapel soon after opening time and did manage to get there well before the huge crowds. However, the guards would not let us swim upstream to go back to see all we had missed. Carefully watch a map to know where you are in the museum, though, as it is possible to go back to the beginning BEFORE exiting and do the rest of the museum at leisure. You will still get caught in the body press near the Sistine on your second trip through, but being there without the masses initially was worth the slow shuffle later. PJK

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Gail

Hi JoAnn! Saw this post and thought I finally had the answer for you! But it was YOU.....!

Did we dream the shortcut thing??? Or maybe it was wishful thinking..... See you next week.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Gail

Good grief! Don't know where that weird e-mail address came from!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:42 AM
leo

Getting in the "back way" you have to know someone. But leaving we had no problem, and this cuts of the long walk back from the chapel and to St. Peters if you are on a tight schedule.

To leave the back way don't follow the crowds to the exit on the left side. Hang over on the right side and wait for a tour group to leave then tag along behind them. You walk down a long stairway and it will let you out right at the basillicia. We saw lots of clergy entering the Sistine this way. So if you have connections this would be the way to go in to avoid the crowds.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Sistine Shortcut

Shortcut to the Sistine Chapel? Why don’t you rent “The Agony and the Ectasy?” Heston’s a hoot as Mike. Chuck still claims the genius wasn’t a homosexual.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:47 AM
sandi

We stood in line about 45 min. before it opened and took the suggestions above by heading directly for the chapel. There were a dozen people in there as opposed to a hundred or more an hour later.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Jo Ann

Leo,
Thanks for that tip. Very helpful. Also to the other serious responses--I plan to use your tips, too.
What a great source this is!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Jo Ann

P.S. Rex, You know how I love your wit!