Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the Roman Forum like on a Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Jim

We arrive in Rome on a Sunday @ 8:00 AM from the USA. Probably will get to the hotel around 10AM. Hotel is about 1/8 mile from Forum. I am thinking about taking in the Forum and Pallatine area as well as Trajans Market and maybe the Coloseum The rest of the day and early evening. Will it be extra crowded on a Sunday or this this not a good plan? Thought we would stay a little closer to home that day until we get our feet wet.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Mark

The Forum can get thousands of people on Sunday, but it is huge and we never felt crowded (it stretches for many blocks) during our visit at the beginning of June. The Coliseum is busy everyday by 9:00 a.m. (I don't remember what time they start selling tickets). There seem to be long lines unless you get there early. The Pallatine area is also large and we never saw it crowded...it does not have nearly the amount of ruins to view as the other locations. Trajan's Market can accomodate a large number of people as there are plenty of rooms and stairways to climb, you should not have any problems going through the Market, even if it's crowed.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Sheila

We did (in February, nind you) the Forum and the Cooloseum one Sunday morning then took a bus down to the bottom (well, about a mile out) of the Appian Way and walked back.<BR><BR>Bust but not horrendous. But it was off-season

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:16 PM

ttt

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Julie

Jim - Its a good idea to do all of this in one day, everything is really close together so the only walking you'll be doing is inside the monuments themselves. I would do the colosseum first, because as Mark said it will get really busy mid-morning and then for the rest of the day.<BR>I took a tour of the colosseum and was sorely dissapointed - the guide I had could barely talk above a whisper and no one could hear her, but I would suggest a tour as they guides have a ton of info (just make sure you get one that can talk!)<BR>Since you aren't in Rome during peak travel season I wouldn't worry too much about the Forum being over crowded, just make sure you go early on on the day.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip, you will probably be able to see all of the flowers on the spanish steps at this time of year!

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
alison

Very crowded

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:36 AM
leroy

Full of gypsies trying to get into your pockets, purses, backpacks, and throwing their babies at you...oh it is bad, so bad. Look out for the gypsies they will steal you blind. I suggest you carry a big umbrella so you can swat them away with it...just hold it in your hand and swing it broadly back and forth, knocking them out of the way. I find that a large gold umbrella works well. Swing it hard and fast and keep moving...if you stop for an instant they will swarm you like ants on honey or flies on s..t. Have fun

Old May 10th, 2002, 01:01 PM
dean

since you will ot even be in the area till 10 am and will need time to check in, the lines will already be long at the coloseo. So start off at Terme di Caracalla or at Foro Palantino and get a combination ticket. Not only does this pay for your entrance to 7 attractions, it allows you to skip the line at the coloseo. This is one of the best tricks for Roma.<BR><BR>After you have had your fill of the coloseo, walk as if you are going to San Clemente and you will pass through a neighborhood with many little working class trattorie. They will mostly have antipasti tables int he window so you can judge quality from that. We had 4 huge plates of pasta for $18.00 or so last July.<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Chris

Dean-<BR>What are the 7 attractions?

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:29 PM

ttt

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Karen

Dean, I would also like to know what the seven attractions are and how much the pass is? Karen