what's the most romantic hotel in Paris?

Jul 16th, 1997, 07:50 PM
John Cerio

what's the most romantic hotel in Paris?

I am taking my wife on a surpise trip to Paris for our 25th Wedding anniversary. I Have never been there before and would like a special place to stay. Looking for a great hotel with all the extra special things to make for a memorable trip. Would greatly appreciate any help and input on special romantic things to do in Paris. Many thanks.

Jul 16th, 1997, 11:24 PM
Tricia

John, What a great guy! Here's a starting point for you! Found Homebase Abroad out of Mass, ph 617-545-5112, www.homebase-abroad.com- They are a personalized travel services co specialing in renting fine homes/apts in Paris and Italy. Click on the Paris title and then you can click on Honeymooners and Romantics and its brings up incredible places to stay- cheapest looks to be about $1600 a week. Also while surfing net read about Abotel's, that are small intimate 3 star hotels in Paris. Then you go back to 5/30 in this travel lounge-- there is a question "New to Paris-what to see in 3 days" and there were 21 responses -needless to say there is good info in there and another was "Est cost to Paris" on 5/16- Then try www. novagate.net/small hotels. Has pictures of small intimate hotels, several seemed nice from $96 to $256 a night. Check out St. Paul- pictures looked great, and the Ferrandi has a lavendar and white bedroom! The St. George has a neat cellar-restaurant with candlelit tables. Let us know what you pick!

Jul 17th, 1997, 02:07 PM
Donna

Agree - what a husband! Here's what I thought was romantic on our last trip (for some reason, everything is Paris looks best around dusk when the light is phenomenal as the sun sets over the city). A boat ride on the Seine is a must. Take a boat other than the Bateaux Mouches (Vendettes de Paris, Bateaux Parisiens, Vendettes du Pont Nerf). Smaller, nicer, better commentary. The view from the ninth floor outdoor cafe of the Samaritaine Department Store is fantastic. Be sure to have someone snap your picture with the Eiffel Tower behind you. Strolling the Seine at night past the beautiful bridges and monuments all lit up is wonderful. The outdoor cafe at Chez Francis (corner of Ave George V and Ave Montaigne, near Pont d'Alma) is spectacular for enjoying your favorite beverage and viewing the passing parade, with a terrific view of the Eiffel Tower, day or night. We loved spending the evening at Deux Magots (a lot of folks rate this "too touristy" but we didn't think so). And, then there's the Eiffel Tower. Spectacular views! Go to the top! Try to arrive just before sunset and stay till after dark when all the lights have been turned on. An unforgettable experience (we got some terrific photos). Our favorite restaurants (romantic, beautiful, excellent food, moderate prices) were La Fermette Marbeuf (gorgeous art nouveau interior) and Vaganende (Belle Epoque). As for hotels and restaurants, here's another good website: www.paris-hotel.com. (Thanks to the post above for the websites - new to me!)

Jul 18th, 1997, 12:29 PM
Neal Sanders

John
You realize you're placing husbands all over the world on the spot with this sort of thinking! Anyway, it's a great idea; in my judgement, Paris is probably the world's most romantic city. I find no fault with any of the postings above and herewith add my own:

If you're celebrating your 25th anniversary, you are of an age to appreciate good hotels and good service. The "big four" in Paris are the Crillon (place de la Concorde), Plaza Athenee (Ave. Montaigne), Ritz (Place Vendome) and George V (Ave. George V). These are world-class hotels with world-class service. They are old-world establishments that pamper their guests. That pampering comes at a stiff price, but this is probably your only 25th anniversary. If $500 a night is more than you have in mind, get a copy of the Gault-Millau France guide and look under "romantic hotels."

While in Paris, visit at least one of the great restaurants (book well in advance). My wife and I first dined at Tour d'Argent 12 years ago; we can still remember the meal; we keep our duck's medallion number as a trophy. It will give you something to remember in your golden years.

Spend a day together at the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay. Together, they are one of the world's three or four best museums. The Louvre covers antiquity to 1800; the Musee d'Orsay covers 19th and early 20th Century French art. Confine yourselves to the top floor of the Musee d'Orsay, where the bulk of the Impressionist art is hung. At the Louvre, I would just wander: the museum's strengths range from Egyptian antiquities through Etruscan to 19th century Second Empire decorative arts (Louis Philippe's apartments are on view; they give new meaning to the word "garish").

Take a side trip out of Paris for a day. Most convenient is Versailles, which is readily accessible by the RER Yellow line. Versailles is not just the Palace, it's hundreds of acres of gardens, the Petite Trianon, Marie Antoinette's farm, and more. My personal favorite is Vaux le Vicomte, a chateau in Melun, south of Paris. It's readily accessible by rail and a short taxi ride; it isn't crowded, yet the house and grounds are as lush as Versailles.

Take the above-mentioned photo of your wife (and she of you) from the plaza behind the Trocadero, where the Eiffel Tower rises in the background across the Seine. Be sure to have her photo enlarged and placed in a very nice frame, because it will likely have one of the greatest smiles ever captured on film.

Spend a few hours on the Ile de la Cite and Ile Saint Louis, the two little islands in the Seine. They are a microcosm of Paris, easily walked. At the east end of the Ile de la Cite is the cathedral of Notre Dame, one of the great gothic cathedrals. Make certain to sit on a bench in the garden behind the cathedral, preferably with an ice cream cone from one of the shops across the street. Buy her a bouquet of flowers from the flower market on the Rue de la Cite.

Go souvenir shopping at Galeries Lafayette on Blvd. Hausmann. G-L is Macys. Saks, Bloomingdale's and Neiman-Marcus all rolled into one beautiful store (don't miss the stained glass ceiling in the central atrium). Apart from souvenir shopping, G-L provides a window into Parisian life. The departments like linens and housewares are anything but mundane when you're in a foreign city.

Walk the roadway above the Seine, especially between the Pont Marie and Pont Neuf; where there are bookstalls and vendors. Pause at one of the outdoor cafes near the river on the Boulevard St. Michel and order a diablo menthe (peppermint soda). At night, stand on the Pont Neuf as a Bateaux Mouche approaches and shines its searchlight on the bridge. Make it a very long kiss.

Things I would skip: Sacre Coeur and Montmarte, the Moulin Rouge and Place Pigalle, the Pantheon, Hotel des Invalides, Ecole Militaire, the Arch de Triomphe, the Bastille, the Sorbonne, Palais Royale, Les Halles, the Bourse, Centre Pompidou, the new opera house, Au Printemps department store, or La Defense. Most are either vastly overrated or are distant from other things in Paris. They can wait for another trip your 26th anniversary.

Sep 30th, 1997, 09:16 PM
Tricia

Am sending this to 10/1 for person having this same question