Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what's the MOST amount of luggage you have traveled with?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:49 PM
HRH SBP

I just counted - 8 bags, if you include my purse.

just curious...

HRH

(no, these were not HUGE bags. just, a lot.. and a few were obtained there & stuffed with purchases...)

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Marilyn

The most I've traveled in the U.S. with is 2 regular sized bags, but I haven't done that in a very long time. The first trip to Europe I took a regular well suitcase, but was sorry when I had to pull it through the streets of Rome. Since then I've reduced to a carryon size that weighs about 23 lbs. and I like that a lot better. However, I must tell you that on one trip we met two ladies who had two very large suitcases each (these were the largest they make). They had harnessed them together for pulling and were going all over Italy. I would have loved to see them after 2 weeks pulling those. Marilyn

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:10 PM
HRH SBP

I know! I hear ya.

the weird thing is I used EACH and every thing I had packed. NOTHING went to waste - I was gone not quite a month and actually did laundry too. but was still shocked when I counted. yikes.

you cannot travel heavy happy and cheap (pick two). I usually end up opting for heavy and happy. getting spoiled in my old age.

(these really weren't big bags - but still unwieldy!!)

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:34 PM
pam

When I went to Italy (solo) last summer I had 3 bags (including a 29" rolling bag). I too found that most of my things were necessary for me. I really wish that I could pack "light" like some of the posters but realize that I just am to "needy".
I just pray the "big" bag doesn't get lost. I am planning on my big bag for Paris and my husband and son are sharing a rolling duffel. We will all have small carry-on bags or backpacks.
I had to wash out clothing even with my big bag in Italy. It wasn't a problem at all but I really admire those who can pack two pants, 1 shirt.etc.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Ellen

Pam, if you are taking a "big bag" and your dh and son are taking another bag, you would be wise to divide your stuff between the two bags -- put some of your stuff in their duffel and vice versa. Then if one of the pieces gets delayed or lost, nobody will be completely stuck.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Nan

The first time I went to Europe I wanted to take all new wonderful clothes and I did! with their matching shoes! I had white outfits, black outfits, grey outfits with red shirts and sweaters for contrast. Two coats, a white and a black one. Rain boots, just in case. I had two large bags and one fold over suiter, and a make up bag. Needless to say, I was miserable, by the end of the months stay I wanted to throw all of them away. I have learned from that trip and now am down to one bag and one carry on (but still too heavy).

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Rex

I can't imagine eight bags for ONE person. But with three other people, I have traveled with the usual two (reasonable sized) luggage items per person, three "portable" computers (this was pre-laptop, when a Compaq weighed 28 pounds), two laser printers at 79 pounds in their cases, and two 55 pound cases of materials. To Berlin.

And trips with three times this much stuff (and seven people to move it) here in the US.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Paige

Nan, I had to smile when I read your post. It reminded me of when I went to the US Virgin Islands for the first time and packed four pairs of white shoes/sandals because these went best with this cute little outfit.

I spent the week in shorts and t-shirts and when I even wore shoes, they were rubber flip-flops.

Live and learn.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:44 PM
steve

My wife.... enough said

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:52 PM
elvira

First trip to Paris, I took a giant rolling hard-sided suitcase; I hated it within 2 hours when I had to drag it up three flights of stairs at my hotel.

When I spent 5 weeks in Paris, I took the same suitcase, which I left at the hotel in Venice, while I took the rolling bag on the boat trip in Venice. I did need everything in the giant suitcase pretty much, and returned with a total of 6 bags (two fold up totes that got filled, plus I bought two duffels).

Every other trip, a 22" rolling carryon and a small tote (which holds my purse). I'm getting too old to haul around big, heavy bags, and I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it for me. I loathe baggage carousels: getting struck in the ankles by luggage carts, being elbowed out of the way when someone lunges for their bag, watching everyone's bag come off except mine, wasting a half hour of valuable sightseeing time, making whomever has kindly volunteered to pick me up at the airport wait, dealing with the customer service rep when I have to report the missing bag(s)...

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:55 PM
suzanne

I've never traveled with anything bigger than a 22" wheeled suitcase. That's all I needed for a 2-week trip to Ireland, a 2-week trip to Greece, and an 18-day trip to Thailand. It finally burst though, in Thailand, as I bought many more things than I thought I would! Sadly, I had to retire "Old Wheelie" and I just upgraded to a pretty 24" red TravelPro. It's just seems *so* damned big, though...I'm not looking forward to lugging around this monstrosity. I'm just hoping it doesn't encourage me to bring more stuff along...

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:12 PM
fairfax fielding

I brought back five bags when i came from London on Thanksgivng on an empty plane (bought stuff in town, then lots more at duty free) and when i got to philly, i missed my plane, and had to retrieve my luggage, wheel it all over that bloody airport and then they wouldn't check it because i would have to pay extra, so i had to schlepp it down to the plane by hand. i looked like someone's sherpa. there were only about three people on that flight, too, so it wasn't like they didn't have room.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Book Chick

4 bags total--2 large hard-sided suitcases & 2 carry-ons. That was when I went away to school in Florence.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Chris

fairfax -- love the "sherpa" reference! LOL (scared my cat).