Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the most adventurous food you've tried, and how did you like it?

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Carnivore

The threads on eating kidney and snails prompted me to ask this question. Was it frogs legs? Sushi? Something else? Did it taste like chicken?

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:13 AM
jon

snake and yes it DOES taste like chicken.(I wasn't told what it was until after the first taste!)
Grasshopper- and i did know- it was a dare!

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Carnivore:

I had aligator in Florida.
I had Venison at a winemaker dinner...but chickened out at the last minute(smile).

My Best
Oaktown

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Patti

Hi--I had aligator and turtle in New Orleans (aligator--yuk--very spongy), boar and pigeon in Italy. Boar tasted like very strong hamburger and pigeon was a lot of work for not much pay off!

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ishoo

Frog legs are delicious. Kimchi (sp) in Korea was exciting. Escargot no more.

Book Chick

I have tried eel, squid, rattlesnake, and buffalo & in my home state we do eat venison fairly regularly, but I have only eaten it on two ocassions.

I do not enjoy eating veal or lamb. Go figure!

BC

Ursula

Years ago, when I was I child, we were in a place in the Italian part of Switzerland and had a dish called "mixed grill". Different pieces of meat. One was sooo strange. We asked what it is? Veal brain (Cervelle de veau)! I immediately stopped eating all of that mixed grill. But veal brain is supposed to be a delicacy. What do I care. I like a Bratwurst with a bun or some nice cheese! ;-)

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:30 AM
dan woodlief

Eel sushi from the grocery

Sauteed eel in China - excellent

Ostrich at the state fair - actually very good and not at all like poultry

Escagot in Paris

What I believe was raw or slightly cooked goose liver in Paris - very good

Raw oysters - several places - common I know, but pretty gross when you think about it

What we thought was some type of jellyfish in China

Frog legs at a family party - very good when not overcooked

That is all I can think of at the moment. There is not much I won't eat. What really freaks me out though is what I saw in a book in the local science museum. Some societies in Latin America dine on roasted Tarantulas.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Mary

I had a little lamb, and it was quite yummy.

Apologies to the 'Far Side' cartoonist, I stole it from him. BUT when your name is Mary, you get teased on this a lot.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Ess

I've eaten most of the above except tarantulas, grasshoppers and wild boar. I love fried soft-shell crabs, my boyfriend calls them crunchy spiders and won't eat them. It's the texture, not the taste that he objects to.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Book Chick

Ess,
Actually, I have eaten & thoroughly enjoyed crabs (don't care for lobster, though)& raw oysters, anchovies, & sushi.

I can understand your SI's problem with texture, though. I am one of a group in my office who will not eat raw tomato in any form, as I find them too slimy, as does the rest of the gang.

Also, I have an allergy to eggs, which was diagnosed early in my childhood. The pediatrician thought it was a little unusual, since kids with this allergy are often allergic to chicken. My mom told my pediatrician we ate chicken regularly, which was true. Turns out a few years later we discovered I'm allergic to all the chicken organs or gizzards. Because of textural similarities, this prevents me from eating escargot.

BC

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:11 AM
rob

Haggis in Scotland last week. Not bad at all - kind of like a well-seasoned hash.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Dana

I went to a Brazilian BBQ (chiarascurria) where the servers go around to the tables with all these swords full of grilled meat- alot of wild ones. I had ostrich,
kangaroo(!) , boar, bison, and about 5 or 6 other types.

I have had fried alligator- some bites are gamey and chewy and just yucky. Some bites are delicious!

I had kimchi in S. Korea- fermented cabbage, no thanks. The Koreans actually store pots on their roofs holding the cabbage so it ferments for them.

I have also had frog's legs.

I will try anything once.

But you still can't get me to eat broccoli!

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Thyra

I am a pretty hard-core sushi lover, but I dont' go for those "california roll" type things... I am positively addicted to uni... which is sea urchin roe.... this is really an aquired taste let me tell you, even my sushi lovin friends gag when they eat it... I think it tastes like your sucking the bottom out of a tide pool...don't ask me why I like that.. but I really do.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:35 AM
elvira

Buffalo, elk, emu, venison, 'gator, pigeon/squab/quail (I agree about the work/reward equation), rabbit, frogs' legs, wild boar ham, sweetbreads.

Eel, octopus, squid, softshell crab, raw oysters/clams/mussels, flying fish eggs, shark, abalone.

Daringest: Lamb sandwich from a roadside stand in Morocco - flies swarming, meat cooking outside, bathroom was a hole in the ground with a bucket of water beside it. Extremely yummy food, not a problem ever with gastrointestinal upset, yet a chicken dinner from an American family restaurant sent me crawling toward the Pepto - go figure.

Second daringest: haggis (sans tube)

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Ess

Book Chick, I was reading just the other day that you can eat something for years, and then develop what seems to be a sudden allergic reaction to it, but actually the allergy just takes time to build up in your system. I've had one or two inexplicable allergic reactions, never did find out what set it off. Sometimes I think you have natural aversions to things that you may be allergic to. For example, tomato is in the "nightshade" family, along with peppers and eggplant. Many people are allergic to these without even knowing it, and holostic practioners recommend we all be careful not eat them too frequently.

Dana, I don't know whether this explains your aversion to broccoli, or mine to spinich!

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:39 AM
dan woodlief

Elvira,

Is it common to eat haggis but not the tube, or does that just work for sausages and bread?

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Ess

Elvira, you and my mother are the two daringest - you for your moroccan lamb sandwich, and her for the fresh sardine stand in Turkey where they just dunk the silverware in a bucket of water to wash it for the next customer. She says she suffered no ill effects, but could never imagine frequenting such a place at home!

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Lily

Baby goat (Cabrito) in Monterrey, Mexico
Baby eels (100s of them) in Barcelona, Spain
Baby Minnows (small 1/2 inch long fish, with eyes still in place) Barcelona, Spain
Crocodile (tastes like alligator to me) in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Kudu & Impala meat, some sort of orange squash, meely meal, sudsa and African beer in the Bush, Zimbabwe.

Jun 8th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Nan

Ostrich burger (pretty good), buffalo burger (pretty good; gamey-beef taste, I'd have it again), rabbit (tried it once, but ever since we've had pet bunnies, I couldn't eat it again!) frog legs (ick), escargot (just one, icky, couldn't get past the psychological barrier!), crocodile (tastes like fishy chicken), kangaroo (beefy, with an aftertaste), camel (sort of beefy-tasting), chocolate-covered ants (someone brought a box of these back from an exotic trip somewhere; this was on a dare, when I was a kid...I'd never be able to do it again!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO