COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's The Continental flight like from Newark-Milan?

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Holden

We're curious about Continental as a carrier--we have tix fro Newark to Milan arriving 8AM--how does Continental stack up against other carriers on this route re: food, space, carry on restrictions etc.?

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Howard

Food is decent (much better than Alitalia).
Seating is just as cramped as all the other airlines, no better, no worse.
The carry-on restriction weren't strict, as best I could tell.
Is yours a Continental flight or an Alitalia flight? They're tied in.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Gina

I flew a Continental-Alitalia codeshare Newark-Rome this January, which is probably quite similar. The flight was operated by Continental, and service was fine. Not outstanding, not awful; food not bad, flight attendants friendly--pretty much as Howard describes it. The boarding situation at the gate in Newark seemed unusually chaotic to me, but it didn't delay departure. I had a carry-on that definitely meets their size and weight limits but bumps right up against them, and they didn't even glance at it, or me, twice.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Kathleen

Something to consider/check out: Last year the Milan airport was # one in Europe for delayed flights. This may affect your outbound and inbound flights. Also - it is relatively far from Milan. If you are also leaving Italy from this airport think about how long it will take you to get there on time for departure. If this is relevant to you check these posts for the hotels near the airport and reserve early.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:07 PM
jeannine

I believe CO has changed the equipment on the MXP flight from a 777 to a DC10. A severe downgrade if you ask me...the seatback entertainment systems in coach on the 777 really help to pass the time. Plus, the 777 have more toilets-a significant factor towards the end of the long 9 hour flight!!!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:43 PM
xxxx

Your Continental flight will be on the same plane as the Alitalia flight they are partners they give seperate flight numbers and charge diffrent fares but it wiil be the same plane with a Continental rep on the Alitalia plane

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Howard

If I understand xxxx correctly, I'll have to disagree. I have flown roundtrip to Italy on both Continental and Alitalia, and while they are partners, the two experiences were totally different. Even though we checked in at the Alitalia gate at Newark, the Continental flight was all Continental. Conversely, the Alitalia flight was all Alitalia. In both situations I am speaking in terms of crew, amenitities, food, type of aircraft, etc., etc., etc. It was truly two distinctly different experiences.