Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best remedy to control snoring and where can I get it?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Sandi

My partner has a bad snoring problem. There are tons of remedies on the market, however, which ones work? There may well be a death if I can't get some sleep.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:44 AM
temari

The best method I found is a to sleep on a well elevated pillow. And use a good pair of ear plugs and dream of your next day's joys.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:59 AM
John

I'm sure there's a European connection to this somehow...
Tell your partner not to take it lightly. Both of you (yes, together) should consult a physician, preferably one familiar with sleep disorders. It might be minor, or it might not, and the death you're referring to might not be all haw haw.
If this situation might reduce your enjoyment of a European holiday, look into it right away. Otherwise, look into it right away.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:02 AM
nolostsleep

Do what I do....go into the spare room for a good night's sleep!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Sandi

Me again. I'm thinking of something on the order of "Breathright strips", etc. and I'm familiar with sleep apnea. What quick fixes can folks recommend?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:28 PM
Marilyn Ham

My brother-in-law snores like a steam engine going uphill--a real wall shaker. He takes the Breathright strips made by Vicks with the vapor rub included. He breaths better and she sleeps better. Marilyn

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:29 PM
Sheila

I suffer as do you.

I would suggest a sharp axe. They are available at your neighbourhood hardware store.

Alternatively get a divorce. For me it's still in the balance

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:49 PM
Capo

There's this little French invention called the guillotine...but it's rather cumbersome and, I think, probably illegal. :~)

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
Shanna

Well, I won't name names here, but a friend and I took two weeks to Brussels and Paris and I was awake ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT. Fortunately she was an early riser, so I was able to sleep between 5 and 8. On the next trip to Italy, I made her wear one of the thick collars around her neck. It worked, although I also wore earplugs just in case. She hated it, but was a good sport. Of course, we also wore little crocheted booties (it was winter) and I had a woolen cap on my head to keep the heat in since I freeze so easily. Thank goodness the hotel didn't catch fire - what a sight we'd been standing outside in our get-ups! Not exactly a fashion statement.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:36 PM
Diane

Thanks for the reminder -- we leave in two weeks. Gotta pick up both sizes of Breathrites because I apparently have begun to snore myself. (Somehow it only seems like turnabout/fairplay all that...)

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Les

Capo,
The guillotine is not a cure-all. I find that the snoring gets replaced with an equally annoying gurgling.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:23 PM
snore

The bathtub. It's where I've slept many a night.

My husband gamely uses Breathright strips but they don't appear to work. Ear plugs help. Good luck, and if you find a genuine remedy, please do let me know!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:36 AM
anon

Try having him/her sleep on their side. That worked on a few light snorers I've had to share a room with.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Diane

I use SnoreStop -- available at most drug stores and Costco will order for you. In fact, I learned about it from the pharmacist at Costco. SnoreStop has a web site. I've told my friends about it and they claim it has helped with their husbands' snoring. Also, I wear earplugs as I am a very light sleeper, and bring earplugs for my friends as an additional precaution. Before I found SnoreStop one friend brought along a sound machine and turned it up loud to drown out my snoring. We both went to sleep listening to the roar of the ocean.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:26 AM
gail

I've read about it, haven't tried it:
sew a small pocket on the back of the snorer's pj top; stuff a tennis ball in the pocket; keeps Snorer from sleeping on his/her back because it's uncomfortable. If you try it and it works, let me know: I need to go buy a case of tennis balls.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Diane

Sadly, sleeping on your back may not have anything to do with snoring. My husband can snore in any position. I've spent enough nights watching him roll over just to start in another key when he gets comfortable on his stomach or side. My best tip is to try to go to sleep first. It's a lot easier if your 18-year-old is home by 2AM.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Beth Anderson

ugh. my Ireland biking trip:

never got over jet lag completely - 49 miles a day on the bike... and 3-4 hours of sleep per night.

my roomie SNORED like a jackhammer. I gave her all my pillows, and wore earplugs. made no difference. I did notice that sharply calling their name (or saying SOMETHING loudly) is enough to break their sleep pattern just long enough so that you might fall back asleep long enough to NOT hear them start up again, for a while anyway.

plus, may as well spread the joy. I don't sleep, they don't sleep!!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Alexis

My mom swears that earplugs saved her marriage!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Lesley

There is a definite link between alcohol consumption and snoring. Everyone has their own limit for the 'snore point'. For my husband, 1/2 bottle of red wine is fine and we have a peaceful night, more than that and its like Niagara Falls roaring away beside me...good luck with making this point with your partner, it took me a lot of persuading!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:24 PM
no-one-will-sleep-with-me

http://www.snorestop.com/

Thanks Diane -- looked up website & I plan to pick this up on my way home from work tonight. Can order from website OR it lists names of stores by state in US at which you can buy the product.

Sad to admit that I'M THE ONE with the snoring problem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -