Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best quick connection between Paris/Normandy and Munich/Bavaria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Emilie

I'm hoping some of you with great knowledge of the trains systems or intra-Europe flights can help me plot this. Looking at a Spring or Summer 2003 plan in the early stages. We decided we want to visit two areas, for roughly a week to 10 days in EACH, but in no particular order:<BR><BR>1. Romantic Road, from Rothenburg to Fussen/Bavaria via Munich. (Maybe as far south as Salzburg)<BR><BR>2. Paris and Normandy.<BR><BR>We have American Airlines FF miles that will get us to any number of major gateways, and figure we'll try to fly open jaw (one being Paris?) to minimize backtracking.<BR><BR>Here are my two questions. Any experienced advice would sure be appreciated:<BR><BR>1. What would be the easiest/fastest way to relocate from the Germany to France? Are there any fast trains?<BR><BR>2. If we fly in or out of Paris, what other major city should we use? Munich seems like we'd be backtracking, but Frankfurt seems too far north of where we want to be.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:50 PM
Emilie

Anyone?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:59 PM
jahoulih

Why not fly into Paris, take the night train to Munich (leave 22:58, arrive 8:51), and then do the Romantic Road in the other direction (Fuessen to Wuerzburg), flying out of Frankfurt?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Emilie

Jahoulih -<BR><BR>That sounds good. Do you know how I can find out about this particular train schedule?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:10 PM
jahoulih

For an easy overview of schedules, try <BR><BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>You can purchase tickets online at www.sncf.com.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Tom

You can always fly into Frankfurt, a major hub for Europe, then travel the Romantic Road to Munich with potential stops in Rothenburg, Nurenburg, Augsburg and after Munich on to Fussen and one of Ludwig's castles.<BR><BR>From Munich then take the train to Paris, and from Paris over to Trier, oldest city in Germany. From there go up the Mosel and intersect the Rhine at Koblenz. Then KD boat or train up to Cologne and then boat or train back down the Rhine to Frankfurt for return trip.<BR><BR>Just a thought.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Rex

I would seriously look into a stop over fare on Air France (might be others). It may or may not be a good deal, but clearly the fastest easiest way to get between Paris and Munich is to fly, non-stop. Countless fights per day on this route surely.<BR><BR>A stopover means fly to Paris, Spend x days there. Continue on, x days later on the same airline Paris-Munich. Spend any number of days there. Fly home from Munich, almost certainly by connectig back throught Paris again (assuming it is Air France, for example).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:41 AM
topper

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Emile

Thank you, Rex, for the stopover fare recommendation. But we are using American Airline FF miles. I assumed I couldn't do that. I've checked a few websites and I'm finding really high fares for a one-way Paris to Munich flight. I was hoping one of these cheap carriers like EasyJet would have something less than train fare which is about $100. I like the idea of a night train and checked a few train web sites. Finding the price about $119 per person, plus (I think) the price of a sleeper reservation is another $27 each. There are four in our group. <BR><BR>I'm trying to keep the cost down, so I'm now thinking of changing itinerary to visit the Alsace region of France and keeping the rental car to meander over to Paris in the car. But, I had so hoped to see Normandy and only have two weeks vacation and didn't want to pack too much in. Still, really want a two-country (Germany and France) trip.<BR><BR>Any other ideas?