Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WHAT'S THE BEST AIRPORT HOTEL & WHERE ARE RENTED CARS RETURNED?

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with someone who has lived in France for several years & is now returning to the US with lots of luggage. We leave from CDG Terminal 1 & I am looking for the most convenient hotel. I have read that the shuttles are not always reliable. I understand that the Sheraton is right inside the airport but not very near Terminal 1 & it cost more than I’d like to spend. I would appreciate some feedback about the hotels that are available & especially how we would get to Terminal 1 with all the luggage.
Another possibility is that we will have a car which we'll return to the airport. How do you get from the rental return to Terminal 1?
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:23 PM

My advice is to drop off your friend and all the luggage as close to your gate as possible, then you go return the car and take the shuttle back to meet her.

Yes, she may have to stand around watching over the bags but it beats hauling them all over the airport!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

That works if we have a car but if we don't then I still need a hotel that convenient. Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=trip...m=122&ie=UTF-8
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The rental car return for terminal 1 is inside the terminal 1 building. It is circular with the parking on top, so you just keep spiraling up until you reach the rental car level.

In terms of CDG hotels, there are at least 50 of them. It's up to you to find the one that you prefer at the price you want to pay.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM

Posted by: Mimmel on Nov 2, 13 at 5:00pm
I would appreciate some feedback about the hotels that are available & especially how we would get to Terminal 1 with all the luggage.

Your friend would probably save a lot of money and hassle by using air freight for the luggage rather than checked luggage on the plane. Maybe the airline will not accept "all the luggage" anyway.

I did my overnight at the Sheraton. It's a dandy. Leave yourself enough time to hop on the RER a few steps away and have a last evening in Paris.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM

If you do a search for CDG hotels or CDG hotels terminal 1, many options in all price ranges will come up. Almost all have free shuttles to and from the airport, look for this info in the hotel description.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

We have 4 checked bags & 2 carry-ons for 2 people which is what the airline allows without an extra charge.

I have searched for hotels but it's hard to sort the good from the bad, especially the complaints about the shuttle but the CDGVA sounds like a good option.

The ibis Paris C.D.G Airport looks OK. Has anyone stayed there? Any feed back on Première Classe Roissy - Le Mesnil-Amelot?
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM

I have had friends stay at the Marriott Courtyard, the Hyatt and the Ibis--no complaints about any of them. I think my friend said you can walk to local restaurants and shops from the Marriott. Another friend said the Golden Tulip (?) was dire.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM

I spent my last night in France at the Ibis a few weeks ago. It was fine for me--clean, felt safe, restaurant and café downstairs, free computer to use, quiet. Took the shuttle train from car rental turn in to hotel. The next morning took the shuttle to the terminal for Aer Lingus. Seemed pretty easy to me.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM

Have stayed @ the Ibis as a senior solo. No problem at all. Basic, clean, safe and ok as far as $ goes..
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:45 PM

The Roissy Ibis is a 5 minute ride on the free shuttle train from Terminal 1. The Ibis is the lowest cost hotel on the airport grounds.

The rental return is at the terminal and free luggage carts are available to help you easily move the bags.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a good option whether we have a car or not. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are at least 3 Ibises at CDG so I am pretty sure that you are not all talking about the same one.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM

Some hotel shuttles do not drop you off at the terminal. Some drop you off at a station where you catch a train into the terminal. That's what happened to me when I stayed at the Marriott (not Courtyard). I assumed we would be taken to the terminal so was surprised to have to schlep bags onto the train and then find our way through the terminal to our check in and gate area.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM

if you are concerned, get a taxi that will drop you off at terminal entrance or keep the car til that time, go early as recommended.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

The one I mean is
ibis Paris CDG Airport
Roissypole BP 11122 Roissy Cedex, 95701 Tremblay-en-France
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Ibis Paris CDG
Roissypole
95701 Roissy-en-France, France
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:24 PM

I find your thread title confusing Mimmel. You ask for the best hotel at CDG and seemed most enthusiastic about the cheapest hotel. The Ibis is very good and convenient but definitely not the best hotel on the airport. The Pullman is newly refurnished and updated and much more comfortable than is the Ibis. All of the others: the Sheraton, Hilton, and Novotel all offer much more than does the Ibis.

However, as kerouac points our there are several Ibis near the airport but this is the Ibis at the airport located on the free CDGVal rail line and just minutes from Terminal 1:

http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-1404-ib...rt/index.shtml
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM

I have stayed at the Marriott Courtyard several times, and the Hilton once. The Marriott is my favorite and has frequent shuttle service, although there is a small charge for it. The price for rooms vary according to the day of week. The Hilton was fine, and easy to get to terminal. I haven't stayed at the Ibis in the airport, but have heard good things about it - especially the price.