Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best airfare you've gotten to Italy in June? How?

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:34 PM
curious

Trying for the second year in a row to plan a family trip to Italy. Last year I couldn't get an airfare for less than $670 in June. We can't go earlier since the kids would miss too much school and I want to go for at least 2 weeks (If it costs that much to get there, you might as well stay awhile!). I tried the Biddingfortravel website but couldn't get any info on NY-Rome prices so I'll ask everyone here, if you got a great rate at that time of year, where and when did you book it?

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Lesley

I am a Canadian and therefore buy things in Canadian dollars which are currently worth about 62 cents vis a vis US $. This is an enormous drag for us if we want to buy anything in the US but great for Americans. Last year, I purchased return airfare to Rome from Toronto for $685 Cdn. This was on Air Italia which partners with Air Canada. There were some restrictions, but not too bad. In US dollars, this is about $400. Strikes me, it might be worth it to fly into Toronto or Montreal to take advantage of such a bargain, especially if you can use FF point to get to Canada. Clearly, this strategy only works if you live on the east coast but from New York, you could actually drive to Montreal and ditch your car at the airport...

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Patrick

Leslie, pity the poor Italians. It takes 210,000 of their dollars to equal one of ours in the US. I guess that means that things cost them 210,000 times as much? I really wish Canadians would get over the fact that our dollars are not the same, nor or they supposed to be the same just because we both use the word dollar. Do the French claim that our dollars cost them 7 times as much? I have addressed this issue before, but when someone like Marriott does a special at their major cities in the US for something like $99, their same special for EQUILALENT hotels in SIMILAR cities in Canada are usually $149 or $159 Canadian. It is no greater bargain for us overall just because we get more Canadian dollars for our money. Most things will simply cost that many more dollars in Canadian. I say this especially after traveling in Canada this summer for about three weeks. And I'm not even counting the huge amounts of tax that are added on in Canada in addition.

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Ann

Actually Patrick, it is 2,100 lira to the dollar, not 210,000. Got a few too many zeros there...

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Patrick

Oh, by the way, that single deal you found does really mean much. Especially once someone would have to add on the airfare to Canada, or use up their FF miles. Currently American Airlines has specials roundtrip from London to various destinations in the US for $129 pounds -- under $200 US. But they are only good from London, not the other way around. That is a special. It doesn't mean that it is normally a savings to fly from London.

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Lesley

You know, Patrick, its attitudes and messages like yours, full of misinformation and nasty remarks that cause well-meaning and, maybe even potentially helpful folks like me to give up posting on this site. If you'd care to do the math and check it out, I'm pretty sure you will find that Canadians actually do let Americans spend their dollars here and allow them a whopping great exchange rate which means they truly are worth more on "our" airlines. Even with the tax, its less expensive. While I am sorry that you had a bad time here, judging by the tone of your message, I think it wasn't about the differnce in the dollar. I know many Americans (very nice ones!) who come here and whether its to fly out of Canadian airports to take advantage of the rates or whether its to actually visit, they don't seem to have the bitter experiences you do. Maybe there is a message here?

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Sjoerd

Lesley: I fully agree with you. I have visited Canada and the US recently and Canada is MUCH cheaper with current exchange rates, even up to 30% cheaper than the US$. The US$ is overvalued against most currencies including the CDN$ and the euro. Nice for Americans who currently enjoy cheap prices in many parts of the world!

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Sjoerd

Sorry, that should have been "even up to 30% cheaper than the USA."

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Patrick

Lesley and others, please reread my post and point out to where I was nasty or where I said I did not have a great time in Canada? I think you have misread my post. I am simply stating a fact, not an opinion, that most comparative items cost more Canadian dollars in Canada than they do US dollars in the US. Gasoline is really the item that has the greatest difference. I specifically booked a Hyatt, the Whitney in Minneapolis and the Hyatt in Calgary from the same website for the same "Deal" both were weekend senior specials and the two are what I'd call equal in just about every way. The point is that the list of those specials in the US was all 99 US per night. The list including the Calgary property was $159 Canadian. Guess what -- that is virtually the same amount of money. My American dollars didn't buy me a better deal in Canada. And there was nearly 20% tax added to that in Canada, although I realize I am eventually to get back about 6% of that tax.
I realize that we are now off the subject, and it looks like the editors may have now removed several of these posts. But believe me, I did not see one ounce of "nastiness" in my response.

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:59 PM
curious

Hmm, hmm.. Could we stay on topic please? Thank you Lesley for your response. I was excited to see so many responses but unfortunetely only one was in answer to my question. Anyone else with answers please?

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Patrick

Curious, yes, sorry we did get way off the topic. I originally signed on to post my findings and comment, but got thrown by that whole Canadian post. I had checked several sites and didn't find anything under $851 New York to Rome in June, so you're doing better than I. Incidentally I couldn't find anything Toronto to Rome for under $1100 (US) on the same websites.
Lesley, I tried to send you an email to apologize, but unfortunately you use an invalid address. Again I apologize if you felt my comment was "nasty" and I can't imagine that this is the sort of post people are talking about on the "nasties" thread.
And Ann, yes, sorry I added those two extra zeros in the Lira conversion. And to think I'm headed to Italy -- glad they're going to Euros. Not so many zeros to worry about.