Reload this Page >

What's "soldiers" in English breakfast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:11 AM
xxx

Some Britons were asking whether they could find Soldiers for breakfst in The States.<BR><BR>I have tried Google with no luck. Does anyone know what it is?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Maggie

Usually, soldiers is the name given to a piece of toast that has been cut into thin slices.<BR>So you can have boiled egg with soldiers, (just the right size to dip into the egg) or you can have Marmite soldiers - buttered toast spread with Marmite.<BR>Both favourite breakfast dishes for children.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Angie

Toast, cut length-wise, which you dip into soft-boiled egg yolks.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:31 AM
xx

Soldiers? Do you mean slices of toast dipped in a bolied egg? That's what it means in Ireland, I assume it's the same in Britain!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:44 AM
xxx

Thank you all.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Toasty

Why would they have to find the soldiers in the US. Wouldn't the Brits just slice up their own toast to make soldiers?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:26 PM
elvira

Oh, my, I'd forgotten about this...<BR>Coming downstairs for breakfast, we hear our hostess's daughter say "Mummy, have you any more soldiers for me?"

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Mrs.

I agree, why would someone ask if they could find toast cut lenthwise in the states? You must have misunderstood. They were wondering if they would have the chance to find a date for breakfast. <BR><BR>Any other questions?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:39 AM
kate

I would suggest, given the British sense of humour, that they were joking about whether there would be soldiers for breakfast.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:21 AM
PatrickW

Well, just to confuse the issue, there is also an expression 'you're toast' (is that an Americanism too, I wonder?), but as to whose soldiers would be toast if it ever came to a renewal of 1812 and all that, I wouldn't care to say.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:48 AM
military

Don't forget that Americans don't eat boiled eggs from the shell. They decant them into a cup. It's not half as much fun.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:06 AM
IAm

Now that the US has develped a salmonella prolem with its eggs, I wouldn't even eat a soft-boiled egg there.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Frank

One egg in every 20,000, IAm. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:12 AM
frank

Its a joke.Little kids have their toast cut into "soldiers" to persuade them to eat it.Nobody else.(surely...)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:14 AM
xxx

I saw the question on Independent Travel site.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Val

Adults as well as children, eat soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers. The English are very fond of eating eggs on toast, note not just with toast. BTW if some Americans have silly ideas and questions about Europe, it stands to reason that Europeans will have silly ideas and questions about America. I remember being asked by a very concerned English couple why they couldn't find a good "Sunday dinner" in the US. I didn't have the heart to tell them, that English food is not high on the list of preferred cuisines. I think because they can get "traditional" English dinners in Spain, Greece and other places that English tourist flock, they assumed it would be the same here.