Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's good to see in London? Plays/shows/theater that you recommend.

Sep 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Last June DH and I were in London for 7 days, during which we were lucky enough to see Billy Elliott, War Horse, and As You Like It at Shakespeare's Globe. I also went to see Lion King by myself one day. We both agree that our nights at the theater were our favorite outings in London. Well, we're going back for 8 days in mid-October, and due to some family illnesses and me looking for a new job, I haven't really had time to plan this trip and therefore haven't made any theater reservations yet! Furthermore I'm not even sure what's "out" there right now.

I would love to get some suggestions from Fodorites as to what is good right now. Obviously the Globe won't be putting on plays at that time of year, but what else can you recommend? Not at all familiar with any new musicals... I did hear something about Whoopi Goldberg pulling out of "Sister Act" in London, but I'm not sure that would have interested DH anyway.

Thanks!
Sep 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM

We loved Jersey Boys, Priscella , Queen of the Desert and The 39 Steps. Going to see Hair this year.
Sep 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM

You can check some London Theatre sites to get an idea; of course everybody's tastes are different. Les miserables is an old stand by as is Phantom of the Opera (I happen to like musicals, so what should I tell you)....Oliver will still be playing (great tickets are usually available for £35 at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square). Love Never Dies, the sequel to Phantom got mixed reviews, it seemed a bit contrived but the music and singing was nice), Blood Brothers is very British. My own usual m.o. is to see shows most every night I am in London (and sometimes say on a Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday I will see a double header). Also have you seen Mamma Mia? All the ones I mentioned here, at least for me, were worthwhile evening entertainment. Few of them are automatic sell outs at this point in time and discount tickets can usually be had by calling at the TKTS (only the TKTS) discount building in the midst of Leicester Square, not the rip offs claiming to be half price ticket locations on the pedestrian streets leading to Leicester Square from the tube stop (look for Burger King and you'll know you are there).

One other suggestion...many of the theatres give large discounts to seniors or as they are called there concession seats and in London, senior citizen rates start at age 60 and they almost never ask for proof (meaning if you look it, you get it!)

Good luck.
Sep 5th, 2010, 07:46 AM

YOu can check on all the shows at present here

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/

Also tells what will be on sale at TKTS. If TKTS doesn't have what you want, you can also get reduced prices at the box offices on the day of performance
Sep 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM

I always check the following sites before booking to see theatre breaks in London:

http://usefulwiki.com/londontheatre/

http://theatrebreaks.co/wiki/Theatre_Breaks

http://theatrebreaksmag.co.uk/
Sep 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I guess what I am looking for is if anyone is familiar with anything new and exciting that will be going on while I'll be there, which specifically is Oct. 16-24. We've seen Mamma Mia, We Will Rock You, Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc. We live in Chicago so all of these musicals have been performed here, or I have seen them in Las Vegas. I will say that Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is looking like a good possibility at this point.

What about the Nicholas Hytner performance of Hamlet at the National Theater? Has anyone heard advance buzz about that one? That seems like an option... even though I'm not familiar with the lead actor.
Sep 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Nevermind about Hamlet... looks like it's sold out.
Sep 6th, 2010, 02:15 AM

My little nephew is playing the role of Benjie in 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' at the Palace Theatre. I can promise you a good night out at the show!
Sep 6th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Have no idea what it is like, but a friend was recommending Clybourne Park @ the Royal Court ...said it was very funny
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Bellini, that is so very cool.
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
P_M

Mary Poppins was fabulous and it's not just for kids. Phantom is always great as well as Mamma Mia. I don't know if Jersey Boys is playing in London but I just saw it here in Austin a week ago (the traveling Broadway version, of course) and it was fantastic.

The only thing wrong with London is there are too many options for theatre. Always a tough (but fun) choice.