Reload this Page >

What's closed in Rome on Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 05:53 PM
Rhonda

Our only full day in Rome will be a Sunday. What's still open? More importantly, what will be closed?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:13 PM
Ed

Open hours/days in Rome are somewhat fluid, but here's an approximation of what you'll find open: <BR> <BR>All the basilicas and churches <BR> <BR>Vatican Museums on the last Sunday of the month(though free and thus quite crowded) <BR> <BR>Castel Sant'Angelo <BR> <BR>Roman Forum and Palatine Sunday mornings <BR> <BR>Colosseum in the morning <BR> <BR>Capitoline Museums <BR> <BR>Nero's Golden House (Domus Aurea) <BR> <BR>Borghese Gallery - reservations required - open until 1900 <BR> <BR> <BR>There's more, but with only one day for Rome all the above would rank above the remainder. <BR> <BR>Corrections to the above welcomed! <BR> <BR>twenj <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:48 PM
Rhonda

Thanks Ed, <BR> <BR>I've read the Porta Portese market in Trastevere is worthwhile on Sun mornings but I assume normal retailers will be closed. Am I right? What about cafes etc? I don't mean to sound dumb but I don't know what Italian catholics think abut Sunday trading.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:03 AM
nancy

Topping you

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:44 AM
Ed

Watch out for pickpockets in the Porta Portese flea market. More of them than fleas on a dog. <BR> <BR>No stores open on Sundays, but no noticeable problem with cafes, etc. More churches in the city than anywhere in the world I suppose; fewer attendees.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:08 AM
Judy

Hi Rhonda, Ed sure knows his stuff IMHO! <BR>We went to the Galleria Borghese on a lovely Sunday in Sept. We had our reservations for 2 hours, did the the Borghese, then toured the Garden and park there. There were mostly locals there and it was wonderful. The problem was later when we were all getting very hungry....very few restaurants open! We were with my cousin and her Roman husband who were driving us around, looking for their fav restaurants, though most were closed! <BR>We did end up going back to the restaurant, we went to Saturday. <BR>Just be flexible, and then be "fluid" like Ed said of the Romans. <BR>FYI, Judy <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:53 PM
Ed

Topping for Danel