Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's better at home? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-better-at-home-44559/)

martha May 18th, 1999 04:05 AM

What's better at home?

Francesca's response to "What *things* do you miss about Europe" made me smile--we just got back from France and I miss everything except the dog poo on the sidewalks. Aside from the comforts of being at your home with your stuff and loved ones, what do you like better about being home? <BR>As an American, I've gotten used to great big shower stalls. My husband likes ice water. <BR>(Francesca's list of the beauties of the US: <BR>-service <BR>-service with a smile <BR>-stores that stay open til midnight <BR>-really delicious coffee (yes, the coffee here is good, but it all tastes the same) <BR>-donuts donuts donuts <BR>-*REAL* Jewish deli, BBQ, buffalo chicken wings, Mexican and Chinese food <BR>-careful and courteous drivers that go approximately the speed limit <BR>-good signage on the roads <BR>-designer outlets all over the place) <BR> <BR>Francesca, I had a donut yesterday to ease my transition. <BR>

A Vernon May 18th, 1999 04:10 AM

our bed!! <BR> <BR>

A Vernon May 18th, 1999 04:11 AM

and Mountain Dew!! <BR> <BR>

Jo May 18th, 1999 04:27 AM

Home is a different place to me than a lot of you (New Zealand). I've been away for over two years now so heres my list - although you might not relate to one or two: <BR>Fresh, clean mountain/ocean air <BR>The outdoor life <BR>New Zealand roast lamb on a Sunday <BR>Kiwi made butter <BR>The traditional kiwi BBQ/hangi <BR>Marmite, L&P, hokey pokey icecream <BR>But most of all the wonderful people <BR> <BR>By the way, you can get Mountain Dew in the UK and some parts of Europe. <BR>

stephanie May 18th, 1999 05:37 AM

While in Europe staying at B & Bs (nothing upscale) I missed orange juice for breakfast. Bread, tea & coffee left me dehydrated! I also longed for a drinking fountain in the train stations. Drinking fountains in many public places in the US seem standard. I was very thirsty in Europe!

Dawn May 18th, 1999 05:41 AM

Service, with a smile? Driving the speed limit, or near it? Are you sure you're talking about the US?

Inky May 18th, 1999 06:24 AM

Kiwijo...I am assuming you live in the UK right now. I also do. <BR> <BR>'The Outdoor life' is available and free of charge, as is fresh/clean mountain/ocean air. <BR> <BR>Most of the bigger supermarkets have New Zealand lamb and New Zealand butter if you look hard enough. Oh, and marmite. <BR> <BR>Are the British people not wonderful ?

Jo May 18th, 1999 06:38 AM

To Inky - if you want to turn this into a debate I am not interested. But to clarify what I mean: <BR>NZ lamb - yes, you can get frozen lamb here - the lamb I am missing is fresh. <BR>Outdoor life/fresh air - I lived on a farm, a bike ride from the local hills, rivers, and 25 minutes from the ocean. I now live in London. I don't think I have access to any of the above in London - but yes, I do go away (I am actually going to the Breacon Beacons this weekend). <BR>No, you cannot get NZ marmite here, only British marmite which is made/tastes differently. You can get it from the NZ store, but unfortunately the hours the shop keeps does not fit in with my working hours - I work about an hour away by tube. <BR>Yes, the British people are wonderful - but they are not the friendly, open people that NZers are. There is nothing wrong with the way they are, they are just different from what I was brought up with. And as to people that I missed, I also included my friends and my family in that. I think you'll agree they are not in the UK. <BR>I hope you now realise exactly what I meant in what I wrote now. I am happy here - but it doesn't stop me missing the things I am use to. I am sorry if you find you don't miss anything from home - but please do not criticise other peoples right to miss the things they hold dear. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Inky May 18th, 1999 06:57 AM

jo, I've seen some of your other postings and I would have to say that you seem to take things very personally. Although I dont particularly agree with Stellarossa/Tony Huges at times I didn't think there was any need for the type of response you gave. Same goes for this one. <BR> <BR>You didn't say FRESH lamb, you didn't say you lived in LONDON, you didn't say NEW ZEALAND marmite, How many British people do you actually know??? How many Scots/Welsh/Irish ?? <BR> <BR>How do we know your friends live in New Zealand??? <BR> <BR>Finally, I dont miss things from home probabaly because i live there.

Ginny May 18th, 1999 07:11 AM

As an American living in London I miss: <BR>-Paying $25 for a NICE meal. <BR>-Driving in wide open spaces. <BR>-The gentile, slow-paced southern US. <BR>-Hot, sultry summers - wearing as little as possible. <BR>-Good Mexican food. <BR>-A cheaper cost of living. We pay an arm and a leg for clothes, shoes, groceries, household goods, appliances, electricity, rent, and public transportation. <BR>-Going somewhere or doing something without going through such a hassle to get there.

elvira May 18th, 1999 09:20 AM

When traveling overseas, I miss (as in "take for granted when I'm home and it suddenly dawns on me that they are missing"): <BR>BIG cups of coffee with refills <BR> <BR>Coffee WITH my meals, if I want <BR> <BR>Not struggling to be understood, or having to ask "do you speak English" before starting a conversation <BR> <BR>Not having to think which way to look when crossing the street <BR> <BR>The desert <BR> <BR>My city library <BR> <BR>My golden oldies radio station <BR> <BR>Reading the National Enquirer headlines while waiting in the checkout line <BR> <BR>Without having to look it up, knowing exactly when the local news is on <BR> <BR>Walgreen's/Osco/Long's (i.e. any drugstore where I know where everything is) <BR> <BR>Dr Pepper <BR> <BR>ICED TEA <BR> <BR>low riders <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

toom May 18th, 1999 09:22 AM

Dry season in winter, Hard rain in monsoon period should be better than light rain here so that i don't have to walk pretending that it isn't raining outside.

Cheryl May 18th, 1999 12:04 PM

Jo from NZ - I've heard of hokey pokey ice cream, but not the description. What's it like? Inky - I've read quite a few of your postings and you seem to be in massive need of a BJ - lighten up!!!!!

cp May 18th, 1999 12:16 PM

When I am here at home I LUV <BR>- All-Night Safeway <BR>- Gas stations with clean bathrooms and Mini marts <BR>-Peets Coffee <BR>-Cook books with recipes measured by volume not weight (or metric)

Inky May 18th, 1999 12:45 PM

Cheryl, why so scared to provide an email address? huh ??????

Neal Sanders May 18th, 1999 12:57 PM

Things I don't realize I miss until after I get back from a trip abroad: <BR> <BR>- ice. unlimited ice. ice anytime I want it! <BR>- not thinking twice abou drinking the 'eau de robinnette' in a restaurant <BR>- reading the same day's 'real' New York Times, instead of the Herald Tribune with a few of yesterday's articles <BR>- barbecue <BR>- not having to shave before breakfast <BR>- popcorn <BR>- real deli sandwiches piled high with whatever, instead of those 'paninis' that have one razor-thin slice of ham <BR>- (at least in some countries) not having to think twice about having a salad or anything else with raw vegetables <BR>- and, did I mention this? Ice!!

Tom May 18th, 1999 02:43 PM

Two words: Cheese burger. Its the first thing I eat upon my return to the States.

Lori May 18th, 1999 03:03 PM

Five things come to mind not necessarily in this order <BR> <BR>ICE!!!!!! <BR>My Bed <BR>A shower <BR>A real Cheeseburger <BR>My dog <BR> <BR>i could answer this better in 2 weeks after I come home from Paris. <BR> <BR>

Cheryl Z. May 18th, 1999 03:54 PM

<BR>I miss my animals (St. Bernards, Corgis, Fox terrier, Shetland pony, macaw parrot, cats, goats, ducks, geese, and whatever else has snuck in while I've been gone), but after catching up with kisses/hugs, I'm ready to pack for another trip!

Richard May 18th, 1999 04:35 PM

Whats better in California-- <BR> <BR>NO SMOKING LAWS! No smoking in any public places including bars! <BR> <BR>Pooper Scooper laws. Why do people let their dogs poop on the sidewalk where people walk? <BR> <BR>Customer service is much better here. <BR> <BR>I like coffee in Europe, but I like Starbucks too. <BR> <BR>Customs is more accurate here than in Europe. Nobdy even checked our passports or luggage when we arrived in Itaky or The Netherlands.They seemed tobe more interested in smoking. But the did check passports in Germany. <BR> <BR>