Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's Belgian cuisine like and what's so different about their fries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Christopher

I've seen a few restaurant/pub recommendations for Belgian establishments in London. Ads always seem to mention Belgian fries-how are they different from regular fries? What other menu items should I try? I'm familiar with Belgian beers and enjoy them.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Ted

Belgian fries in Belgium are excellent -they usually come on a side, so you are always able to try (and then you know). <BR>Belgians have 10,000 variations of mussels, and my favorite - eel. <BR>One caveat: don't even think about Belgian food if you are counting calories.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:10 AM
RJD

Be careful. Belgian fries are usually served with a home-made mayonnaise. This is both delicious and addictive.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Ed

Belgian fries are the national dish ... nothing special about them, they just make them the way they should! French are usually excellent as well, and Swiss most often. <BR> <BR>Interestingly you'll find the fries in American fast food chain stores in countries like France and Switzerland and I presume Belgium (e.g. McDonald's, Wendy's) turn out fries much more tasty than in the US. Why? The Europeans wouldn't get within 3 meters of most American fries. Too bad the chains can't import that skill into the US ... or is it that Americans don't care how food tastes? <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Susan

We have a very good Belgian restaurant here in Toronto and it's true about the mussels - they have a whole menu of different ways they are prepared (mostly different sauces). The frites are great as well and we always get them with the mussels. The rest of their menu seems to be what I would think of as traditionally French - lots of cream, very 'caloric' and delicious! Since that's really my only experience with Belgian cuisine, I'm obviously not an authority. <BR> <BR>I think the frites are double fried. Fried once to cook the potato and then fried a second time to crisp them up. I know other restaurants that do the same and they are always great!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Caitlin

Belgian frites are fried twice. Also, in Belgium if not in London, they are often fried in animal fats (so if you don't eat meat you might want to ask). As others have said, mussels are another specialty, and dishes of moules frites (steamed mussels and fries) with many sauces are common. Belgian frites shops with many sauce choices are certainly the thing in New York City now.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:34 AM
mark

Lambic beers are delicious during the summer - the peach is my favorite. Note about BK/McDonalds/Wendy's (which I haven't eaten for about 25 years) french fries - I'm pretty sure that the fries are pressed potatoes - made the same way as Pringles - (excuse, I'm making myself sick). Nothing beats true potatoe cut french fries. Another nauseating fact - the McFish sandwhich is ground up fish parts that is then pressed into filets and then soaked in type of bleach so as to whiten it (I think I just lost my appetite). Also, McDonald's shakes can't be called milk shakes because there is no milk in them. Death to fast food and the lifeless existence it fosters.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Myriam

First of all, the French think they have the best cuisine but the Belgians do have the best and finest cuisine! <BR> <BR>Today our Belgian frites are mostly fried in vegetable oil, at least in restaurants. Traditionally home-made frites are indeed fried twice: the first time at 160°C (=320°F) to "cook" the potato, the second time at 180°C (=356°F) to make the frites crispy and gold-coloured. <BR>Unfortunately many restaurants serve pre-fried frites which they only have to bake-off during a few minutes. <BR>Conclusion: a good restaurant is recognizable by its home-made frites. <BR> <BR>Other dishes that are typical: mussels, "Gentse Waterzooi" (creamy soupy dish of chicken with vegetables served as a main course), "witlof ham/kaas" (chicory wrapped in ham served "au gratin"). <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:15 AM
xxxxx

I think Mark is a food snob!!!! there is nothing wrong with fast food, to each his/her own! Who cares how the food is made you should eat to live, not live to eat! I realize some people have health problems such as high cholesterol and should not eat as much "junk" food but for those of us who don't whats wrong with a quick bite thru the drive thru? I personally enjoy many different types of food even haute cuisine which you apparently like. By the way do you think food is healthier just because it doesn't come from MsDonald's etc? From reading this post about the double fried potatoes and cream sauces from Belgium (which are yummy) they don't appear to be healthy either! Lay off trashing fast food. One of my favorite food is the Burger King Whopper which I consume at least twice a week, who cares how its made?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:47 AM
mark

Okay - I'll bite - such as long as it's really good shashimi: <BR>It is interesting to note that since "fast food" as infiltrated the French diet, along with Doritos and Coke / Pepsi - the French have started to gain more weight . Many Americans are over weight due to the high fat, high salt, highly processed junk some Americans like to think of as real food. Fast food fosters a cheap, impatient attitude about life (I know I'm going out on a limb - and the "what's wrong with McDonald's?" is a throughly beaten dead horse - by the way, if McDonald's did use horse meat it would be an improvement). Personally, I think people who aren't passionate about food aren't very passionate. As for being a food snob - I'll eat anything that is well prepared - from fois gras to rice&beans to tripe. I'll even eat a well prepared hamburger - McDonald's/Wendy's/BK burgers are abominations.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Ess

Yay, Mark! I agree with you...the experience of sharing good food and new and unusual taste sensations, is one of life's greatest pleasures. I really believe that people who can't get excited over the sensuality of food can't get excited over the sensuality of sex either.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Caitlin

Well, Mark, McDonald's, at least, does not use pressed potatoes, though they do grow their own special variety. And they add "flavoring" to the frying oil to guarantee that special McDonad's taste. Lots of very interesting (and depressing) history and info in a new book called Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 11:57 AM
xxxx

i mae the earlier comment about fast food so I felt I needed to defend my point of view to those who say "fast-food lovers are not passionate" I never meant i only eat fast food. I just abhor those who are judgmental and think their way and food is best. Variety is the spice of life. Posh restaurants and McDonald's are part of that variety. By the way I'm not sure the correlation between the number of americans who are overweight and the number of americans opposed to europeans who eat fast food is accurate. I am VERY slim and I eat alot of fast food. I think the problem is americans exercise less in general than europeans and that would be a better statistical correlation for why they are overweight. Anyone can see european food is very fattening too. (French fries in Belgium, pastries in FRance, fish and chips in england etc. etc.)

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:25 PM
mark

I forgot in my diatribe about fast food the huge amounts of sugar in American diets - sugars and starches converted and stored as fat. Dr. Atkins actually approves of most of the French cuisine - except the bread and pastries (can you imagine going to Paris and not having a baguette or croissant ?) Also - Europeans eat smaller amounts of food unlike the Las Vegas "all you can eat for 4.95 because this is the land of plenty" attitude in America. In defense of your stance - my massage therapist who has incredibly strong hands that render me like taffy - thinks that chicken ceasar salad is the zenith of cuisine. Go figure - kinda like a cross eyed opthamologist or orthodontist with crooked teeth. Americans are hooked on speed - in all it forms and substances. A leisurely meal with well-prepared food is mana from heaven - and having good company to share it with, nirvana. Food is an very intimate aspect of life - to be schismed from that awareness/ appreciation is unfortuantely a way of life for many people nowadays because our llives are so frenetic.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:12 PM
maggi

Isn't "Belgian cuisine" an oxymoron?