Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's a reasonable airfare from NY to Prague? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-a-reasonable-airfare-from-ny-to-prague-183823/)

nina Mar 28th, 2002 04:44 AM

What's a reasonable airfare from NY to Prague?

I just found out my husband will be speaking in Prague in mid July, so of course I'm dying to tag along on this trip. Having never investigated airfares to Prague, I have no idea what I should expect to pay. Can anyone give me an idea from NY to Prague? Also are there any non-stops? <BR><BR>Also, are there any side trips we should investigate while we are there? Thank you!

Rex Mar 28th, 2002 04:51 AM

On the website www.orbitz.com you will find a fare of $893 for July 14-24. $1023 for the nonstop on CSA.<BR><BR>Going through a consolidator might get you $100-200 lower. Consider also breaking it up through London if saving every last penny is important to you. Use alternative low-cost carriers to get to the continent or to Prague directly.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

nina Mar 28th, 2002 05:08 AM

Yikes! That's an expensive flight!I probably wouldn't break up the flight to "save every last penny" though, since my husbands flight will be paid for. Thanks for the info.

top Mar 28th, 2002 09:32 AM

to the top<BR>

suzanne Mar 28th, 2002 10:00 AM

In September 2000 I flew from NYC - Vienna and Prague - NYC for a total of $593. I bought tix one month before leaving.<BR><BR>I think a good side trip would be Cesky Krumlov. It's a beautiful little cobblestoned UNESCO town several hours from Prague. Their castle is fantastic.

Christina Mar 28th, 2002 10:04 AM

I'm going to Prague in May and tickets are higher than usual this year to that area. They are always more than a major city like London or Paris, of course, as you have to go through them to get there. I'm not sure what you mean by you won't break it up, but other than CSA (as cited above, I don't know about that), no airline flies there nonstop that I could find, so you may have to. I researched it a lot and the best regular airline prices seem to be on Air France, which goes through Paris, of course. A few other airlines are close or a few dollars cheaper but had less convenient schedules for me (I'm flying from Wash DC), like British Airways, Lufthansa. Also, I'm a FF on Air France so prefer that airline. I had a little trickier schedule so couldn't fool around with a consolidator due to a complicated itinerary, but I think some of the cheapest flights if you only want RT Prague can be had from Paul Laifer www.laifertours.com

Marla Mar 28th, 2002 10:41 AM

Try airfrance.com I got an roundtrip airfare from Houston to Paris, departing out of prague for $670. i'm sure it's even cheaper from NYC. But, if I remember correctly, it is only available through the end of march..

consolidators Mar 28th, 2002 10:52 AM

749.00 plus tax on KLM ?

nina Mar 28th, 2002 11:22 AM

Thanks. I didn't mean I wouldn't break it up by not flying non-stop, as I would certainly do that, but I thought Rex meant fly into London (or elsewhere), then get a completely separate flight to Prague rather than just the continuing leg of the non-stop flight. You know what I mean (I hope). I have so far come up with $903 for the lowest price from July 8th-15th. I'm going to keep my eyes open and start checking all the sites for awhile in the hopes that they will come down in the next few months. <BR><BR>Suzanne, where did you get that flight for $ 593? Thanks for the replies!

Rex Mar 28th, 2002 11:36 AM

You interpreted correctly what I mean for the lowest possible cost (with or without a consolidator for the trans-atlantic part).<BR><BR>If you haven't seen a lower fare in the next three weeks, you may regret not getting the fares available today. Do NOT count on a lower fare for July travel to suddenly pop up in May or June. It could happen. It could snow too.<BR>

nina Mar 28th, 2002 11:46 AM

Yeah, I know Rex, but I like to live on the edge..

Suzanne Mar 28th, 2002 06:18 PM

Nina, <BR>I believe it was through cheaptickets.com. We traveled on Swiss Air via Zurich. But like I said, that was 1 1/2 years ago...

top Mar 28th, 2002 08:14 PM

to the top<BR>

Leslie Mar 28th, 2002 09:07 PM

Nina, is your husband allowed a budget to fly in business class? Some companies allow their executives to travel overseas in business class seats because of the length of the flight. If that is the case, then I suggest since that ticket is budgeted, that you use that budget and buy two coach tickets, which will then cover your ticket by your husband's company.<BR><BR>You might also consider making a bid on Priceline for the tickets and see if it is accepted. It might be a few extra hops, skips and jumps, but if price is the most important factor, I'd attempt a bid on Priceline.

t Mar 28th, 2002 09:11 PM

just because something is "budgeted" doesn't mean you can commit fraud and deceive your husband's employer

Rex Mar 29th, 2002 04:49 AM

This is a very good use for a human travel agent. Ask the company to buy the ticket through a travel agent. If business class is approved, you have the ticket in hand.<BR><BR>If you go back to that travel agent and say, I would like to cancel this ticket and apply the proceeds to two coach tickets - - well, maybe it is a little white lie - - but I just don't have a problem with it.<BR><BR>Of course, if the traveling employee/husband has an expectation from the employer to arrive rested and ready to do business, then he better be prepared to meet that expectation.<BR><BR>And I have been in the shoes of employer - - but never the employee, in a circumstance like this. But then again, I never paid business class for any of my employees.<BR>

nina Mar 29th, 2002 07:12 AM

Leslie, that's a good suggestion, I'll look into it. I don't see it as committing fraud, especially when his "boss" is also going, and will be taking his wife as well. If they want to sacrifice comfort to bring us, I think that's their business. We'll go a few days early (at our expense of course,) so everyone will get plenty of rest.

Leslie Mar 29th, 2002 09:40 AM

My suggestion is not committing fraud. Businesses allow this creative accounting quite frequently. Frequently they let their executives fly in business class, but the executive wants to bring a significant other along. Obviously the company shouldn't pay for the significant other, but since the price of the airline ticket is budgeted, it sometimes covers the cost of two coach tickets, therefore allowing the significant other to fly basically for free.

Kathy Mar 29th, 2002 09:52 AM

We used Finnair out of JFK and got a good fare.

Rex Mar 29th, 2002 10:47 AM

Finnair IS an interesting alternative to central Europe. Their flights from Prague or Budapest arrive in Helsinki too late to make the last trans-atlantic flight of the day, so they put you up in a hotel with meal vouchers as part of your ticket cost. Like a free extra day to your trip. When else are you going to get to see Finland?<BR>