Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's a good gift to bring someone in Germany from USA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-a-good-gift-to-bring-someone-in-germany-from-usa-1084632/)

ordubismom Jan 25th, 2016 11:19 AM

What's a good gift to bring someone in Germany from USA?

My husband and I are going to Germany where we met to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We're going to stay with an old friend for a few days when we first arrive. Of course we will take her out to eat several times and such, but we really want to bring her some things from here that might be harder to find there. Something she would enjoy. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? We live in Florida...so I thought of orange marmalade, but not sure what else would be good. Thanks for your help.

sandralist Jan 25th, 2016 11:25 AM

Depends on who they are but Caribbean curry spices might work, or good rum.

sparkchaser Jan 25th, 2016 11:27 AM

They sell orange marmalade in Germany -- it's quite good too. Peanut butter is also readily available.

American craft beer is damn near impossible to find there, so if your friend enjoys beer then perhaps some of that. Unless you know their tastes, do not get any of the crazy varieties (I used to host beer tastings with my German colleagues and universally they did not care for the more "non-standard" styles). Perhaps just American microbrew versions of German classics like pils, hefeweizen, and Rauchbier.

Also, some small distillery made rum might work as well.

sparkchaser Jan 25th, 2016 11:28 AM

Ah, BBQ sauce! That was an oft requested thing for me to come back with.

sandralist Jan 25th, 2016 12:24 PM

I don't know how different Florida orange marmelade is from German marmelade, but are there Key lime products available to you that are more easily transportable than pie? Key lime has such a distinctive taste.

Whatever you choose, it needs to be something "small batch" or artisinal, because Germany imports a great many foods and if your friends live in a very remote part of the German countryside, they probably have access to a lot of products from America.

Christina Jan 25th, 2016 12:59 PM

that's not too bad an idea, fairly inoffensive and edible and most people may use something like that on toast, etc. Of course it isn't remotely difficult to find in Europe, they are especially fond of it in the UK and Scotland, after all. They even import one French brand to the US (Bonne Maman). They do grow oranges in some places in Europe (Corsica and southern Spain), but all around the Mediterranean.

But I still think it's a fairly good gift from Florida, but wouldn't worry about finding something people in Germany can't get. My German friends/relatives put in orders for stuff they want that is specific to them (certain kinds of moisturizers or brands not available there or much more expensive, for example, it wouldn't work for someone you didn't know). It is the thought that counts, and I think that is a lot better gift than some other kind of junk people propose to bring as a gift, such as junk food, or something people are forced to "do" something with (hang, display, dust, etc.).

traveller1959 Jan 25th, 2016 12:59 PM

I am German and I received a lot of gifts from American friends which I usually appreciated very much. And when we travelled to the U.S. we usually brought some souvenirs for our friends and ourselves. Sometimes, we even ordered let things ship to our place.

However, in the meantime, we can get a lot of American products easily here, like

- maple syrup,
- BBQ sauce,
- craft beer.

But there are a few things that always work:

- Artisanal staff from your region (things which you can buy in a visitor center of a National Park or another tourist attraction), e.g. a patchwork thing.

- Something which is very typical for your region, maybe a key lime pie package (key limes are not known and not available here).

- A T-shirt with a motif from your region, e.g a university.

- Maybe a piece of artwork. You have this Art-Deco-district in Miami, maybe something in Art-Deco-style.

Select something of good taste (not kitschy).

BigRuss Jan 25th, 2016 02:09 PM

<<Whatever you choose, it needs to be something "small batch" or artisinal, because Germany imports a great many foods and if your friends live in a very remote part of the German countryside, they probably have access to a lot of products from America.>>

D'you mean "unless your friends live in a very remote part . . . "?

If the friends do like beer - there are ton(ne)s of craft brews from the US and one brewery in Georgia that makes good stuff distributes in Florida: Sweetwater brewery. (I am NOT receiving anything in exchange for the mention . . . but if Sweetwater wants to distribute in Texas, I'd be happy to help . . .).

travelgourmet Jan 25th, 2016 02:11 PM

A good bottle of wine is always a good choice. Or bourbon if they like spirits - there are a lot of labels that are not available in Europe, even at the best-stocked retailers. If you don't have a favorite, something like EH Taylor Single Barrel is a good gift.

ordubismom Jan 25th, 2016 02:18 PM

Actually these are all really good ideas. I can definitely bring some key lime specialties. And our friend does love beer. We will be enjoying beer together for sure, and a local craft beer might be fun to share as well. Knowing her personality I think that's a great idea. What about local fudge? Would that be a problem bringing into the country?What she really wants is a good man, but my hubby is already taken so we have to find second best. ��

ordubismom Jan 25th, 2016 02:22 PM

A couple people mentioned rum or bourbon. Are they not easily found there?

travelgourmet Jan 25th, 2016 03:00 PM

<I>A couple people mentioned rum or bourbon. Are they not easily found there?</I>

I can primarily speak to bourbon and it is yes and no. You can get bourbon, but the selection drops off quickly after you get past the big names. If you get something from a smaller label, or labeled "small batch" or "single barrel" or which has an age statement, there is a good chance they don't have ready access.

As for rum... Everybody and his brother is making rum these days, so it should be easy to find a local bottle.

flpab Jan 25th, 2016 04:54 PM

We buy Havana Rum in Germany but a good Kentucky bourbon would be nice.

sandralist Jan 25th, 2016 10:13 PM

Big Russ> Yes, typed too fast

sparkchaser Jan 25th, 2016 10:21 PM

<i>However, in the meantime, we can get a lot of American products easily here, like

- maple syrup,
- BBQ sauce,
- craft beer.</i>

Maybe it was because I was living in the wrong part of Germany but the only "American" BBQ sauce I ever saw at Rewe, Edeka, or Lidl was Jack Daniels, Bull's Eye and some other odd brands with even more odd flavors. I never recall seeing any of the KC brands, Sweet Baby Rays, Bone Suckin' Sauce, etc.

I also never saw any American craft beers Dogfish Head, Stone, Great LAkes, Alaskan, Sweetwater, Brooklyn, Boulevard, Lagunitas , etc. Again, this may have been because I was living in Bavaria.

Maple syrup is indeed easily available in Germany. Pancake mix isn't.

kleeblatt Jan 25th, 2016 11:22 PM

A big box of baking soda... the stuff costs a hand and a leg here.

sparkchaser Jan 25th, 2016 11:27 PM

<i>A big box of baking soda... the stuff costs a hand and a leg here.</i>

So true.

WeisserTee Jan 26th, 2016 12:25 AM

So true about the baking soda! An odd gift but one we'd appreciate here in Switzerland too.

Re maple syrup, yes you can get it easily in Germany, but it's not American maple syrup. It's Canadian, as the Quebec "maple syrup cartel" controls 75% of the world's market. http://qz.com/498630/america-this-is...-syrup-cartel/

We prefer Vermont maple syrup, which is almost impossible to find in Europe. That said, however, it's hardly what one associates with Florida. I like the key lime idea, along with the craft beer and artisan bbq sauce or special bourbon or rum. Yes, you can get SOME craft beers in Germany, but what we've seen/tried were hardly the best examples and, having bought a few, we think they were sitting around in the shop for too long.

Too bad the OP can't bring along some of those amazing lemons you can get in Florida, with skins so thin and and a taste so un-bitter, you can almost (but not quite) eat them like oranges. My parents had a few lemon trees in their yard, as did all their friends when they lived in Florida, and their lemons were fab. Made for wonderful lemonade or lemon-based cocktails.

wendy17 Jan 26th, 2016 05:00 AM

Go to your local Whole Foods. They always have a selection of reusable shopping bags with city names and cool graphics on them. That can go flat in your suitcase and will be used for sure. Also, you can find retro kitchen towels with maps of the USA or Florida, etc on them. Very cute and again, easy to pack.

Mainhattengirl Jan 27th, 2016 05:14 AM

I buy large boxes of baking soda at my local Asian store in Frankfurt. I think it cost 1.35 € a month ago. Have always got it there and it is not expensive.

Would be sad if someone brought me wine, rum, beer, etc. as I would end up having to give it away. Make sure your friends like to drink before bringing them booze as a gift.

Fudge or the key lime goodies are the best suggestions here.