Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What's a day in Paris worth? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-a-day-in-paris-worth-383788/)

mdtravel Dec 21st, 2003 01:49 PM

What's a day in Paris worth?

I have to return from a trip on Day Y. Airfare going to Paris on Day X is 580.00. Airfare going to Paris one day before Day X is 400.00. X is a Thursday, I'd get in Friday morning. I like the idea of getting there on the weekend to get a feel for the nightlife.

So I'm torn. If we take one less day in Paris and fly on less desirable aircraft (767 vs. A330) I save around 360.00. My hotel is free (on points).

It makes me wonder what price I could put on an extra day in Paris...our first trip to Paris.

Patrick Dec 21st, 2003 01:56 PM

Boy am I confused. X is a Thursday and if you go to Paris on that day (arriving Friday) it would cost $580. But if you go "one day before X" or in other words on Wednesday (arriving Thursday) the fare is $400. I don't get the question. Go a day early and save $180. The hotel is free so why wouldn't you add an extra day? What am I missing here?

And if the first paragraph is right, I sure don't get the second paragraph.

mdtravel Dec 21st, 2003 02:00 PM

Yep...confused is about where you should be since I mispoke. I'll restate and eliminate the X/Y. Comes down to nine or eight days in Paris.

I have to return from a trip on a Sunday. Airfare going to Paris on Thursday of the week prior is 580.00. Airfare going to Paris on Frkday of the same week is 400.00. I like the idea of getting there on the weekend to get a feel for the nightlife.

So I'm torn. If we take one less day in Paris and fly on less desirable aircraft (767 vs. A330) I save around 360.00. My hotel is free (on points).

It makes me wonder what price I could put on an extra day in Paris...our first trip to Paris.

adrienne Dec 21st, 2003 02:06 PM

Hi mdtravel,

If your entire 8 days will be spent in Paris (or environs) then my vote is to stay for 8 days and save the money for the next trip (or buy yourself something special to celebrate your first Paris trip). Eight days is more than many people give a major city their first time and it's plenty of time to experience Paris and see many, many things and still have some time to relax in cafes, etc.

Bon voyage!

Patrick Dec 21st, 2003 02:18 PM

Ah yes, I agree. I get it now. You save $360 by losing one day in Paris, not gaining a day. On the other hand since your hotel is free, you're in a sense losing that by arriving a day later. I'd probably be the cheapskate and go a day later to save the money, however.

Flyboy Dec 21st, 2003 02:18 PM

I see it exactly the same way as adrienne. Have a great trip!

wren Dec 21st, 2003 02:32 PM

I think we all agree...save the money for a souvenir...or for your next trip!!!

Christina Dec 22nd, 2003 09:50 AM

I definitely would save $360 instead of one extra day in Paris, that's too expensive for one day for me. I agree with Adrienne's logic. Also, it's the aircraft you prefer less, also. Sheesh -- you could pay for an entire RT air fare to Paris in the winter for that price.

bardo Dec 22nd, 2003 12:01 PM

Do Paris and eight days and spend the $360 on the meal of your life.

Keith Dec 22nd, 2003 12:10 PM

Also voting for a day less. The points being used to pay for the room can also be used on another room, another time.

Keith

PBT Dec 22nd, 2003 02:13 PM

Ditto. 8 days, cash in hand. I'll take B767 over A330 any time though.