Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what you like least about traveling to Europe

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:51 PM
The critic

What, if anything, do you like least about traveling to Europe?

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:57 PM
StCirq

What I like least is the same old waiting for baggage at CDG, followed by same old wait for taxi, followed by same old ride to Gare d'Austerlitz, followed by same old 5-hour trip to the Dordogne. But hey, at the end of all that, I'm in a car and headed to St-Cirq and no one on the planet could be happier than I! So, bottom line - worst thing is the interim travel - best thing is the smile on our face when you reach your destination.

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Prue

The time it takes to get there from Australia - and then the cost of everything once we do, thanks to our rapidly disappearing dollar!

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Art

Da plane, da plane

Mar 14th, 2001, 07:27 PM
xxx

FLYING THERE
CIGARETTE SMOKE IN RESTAURANTS

Mar 14th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Patrick

Sorry, I've been racking my brain and I seriously can't think of a thing, unless it't the fact that I always have to come home.

Mar 14th, 2001, 08:11 PM
liz

Jet lag, nasty flight attendants, delayed flights and the gestapo at the frankfurt airport. Maybe I should take the boat next time eh?

Mar 14th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Capo

I like -- and second -- Patrick's answer. What I like least is returning home after trips that are always too short.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:01 PM
kalena

Like Prue, the length of the trip.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Louise

the weak South African Rand. too many smokers. not being able to stay longer. inability to bring the snow back with me.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:39 PM
AC

The looooong plane trip home!

Mar 14th, 2001, 10:50 PM
gar

to liz,
have You ever been in a history lesson. hardly. otherwise You wont use the word gestapo for the emigration officers. and have You traveld a lot with open eyes. shure not. for going to the States (as a foreigner), to China, Russia, Poland, Thailand, Singapur... will give You a heartattack by facing the policemen. So dont do .Gar

Mar 14th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Melissa

Eh, Kalena, you on this board now too?

I can't take that long plane ride from Hawaii. It's bearable if the crew is nice and nearby passengers are fine, though.

Mar 15th, 2001, 01:48 AM
wendy

Absolutely the uncomfortable plane ride...but it isn't enough to keep me grounded!

I've always like the phrase 'Life is a journey, not a destination' ... but I can't seem to apply that to traveling on a plane!

Mar 15th, 2001, 06:38 AM
elvira

It takes too long to get there - stop already with the cloning thing and get that transporter beam operational!!

Delayed or cancelled flights - see transporter beam suggestion above

Abritrary decisions made by airline personnel - YOUR 21" carryon is too big to take on board, but that life-sized teddy bear isn't (after all, a cute little girl is carrying it, and she'd cry)

Dopey tourists - standing, with a map spread out between the two of them, at the top of the up escalator; calling to each other across the church nave; taking up three seats, one for baggage, in a crowded train or bus; wanting to get off the beaten track, but flummoxed when no one speaks English.

Mar 15th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Julie

Knowing that I have to go home and that things in New Orleans will still be the way they were when I left them.

Why can't New Orleans magically turn into Europe on my trip home???

Mar 15th, 2001, 07:32 AM
michele

I'm with Elvira; quit trying to clone everything and get a transporter beam. The flight, especially from the West coast. It's one of the very few times I miss the East.

Not wild about all that cigarette smoke, but I do get used to it. I have NEVER mastered European showers. My technique is worthy of an I LOVE LUCY episode.

Mar 15th, 2001, 07:36 AM
s.fowler

As someone facing an 8 hr flight at the end of today and THEN CDG I respectful request: "Beam me over Scottie!"

Mar 15th, 2001, 07:57 AM
dana

Have a great trip s.fowler! I am 6 days behind you!!!

Mar 15th, 2001, 08:05 AM
shannon

I don't like the anxiety I feel when I intially walk off the plane in a non-native English speaking country. I feel so ashamed and ignorant that I have not learned their language, yet they all know mine. Makes me realize the importance of trying to get kids to be taught foreign language in grammar school.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO