Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What you forgot to take out of your suitcase that made it through security (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-you-forgot-to-take-out-of-your-suitcase-that-made-it-through-security-653888/)

JandaO Oct 19th, 2006 02:46 PM

What you forgot to take out of your suitcase that made it through security

I had no idea I had a lighter in my carry-on. They even went through part of my bag in Amsterdam. I was surprised to see it when I unpacked. !!

sandi_travelnut Oct 19th, 2006 02:52 PM

A very long, sharp nail file in the bottom of my purse.

kcitalia_10 Oct 19th, 2006 03:14 PM

Several yrs. ago, I had my pepper spray taken away (had totally forgotten it was in there), but later realized the little swiss army knife I had also forgotten about went through fine both ways!

Marko Oct 19th, 2006 03:36 PM

My wife passed her long knitted jacket thru 6 lots of security....it is held together with a 5 inch stainless steel pin , with a jewelled handle !

sundowner Oct 19th, 2006 04:18 PM

Earlier this year I travelled with a small paring knife from pampered chef. I forgot it was in my purse and was quite shocked when I discovered it. I did get rid of it before I flew home.

evvlabs Oct 19th, 2006 04:28 PM

Recently -- before the quart size bag allowance -- sample size toothpaste and lotion.

LoveItaly Oct 19th, 2006 04:30 PM

JandaO, I flew two or three trips with a pair of small folding scissors and on the last flight home Security discovered them and confiscated them. And yes, I forgot they were in my carryon. But made me wonder how come it took so long for Security to find them.

ndf321 Oct 19th, 2006 04:41 PM

Less than two months after 9/11, I flew with my husband who had recently used his carryon bag for a car trip to a construction trade show. A small Leatherman tool that was a give-away from one of the vendors made it through three legs of our journey before it was discovered. We didn't know it was tucked away in one of the pockets of the bag, and we were both embarrassed, but also appalled that it had not been discovered sooner.

skatedancer Oct 19th, 2006 04:44 PM

Traveling to a wedding last year, I carried the present that I had purchased quite a while before. Just as I got to security, I remembered that the present, a platter for cheese, had two matching knives with it! They unwrapped the ribbons on the box, and at first told me I couldn't take it on, but then someone else came over and said it would be alright! I was actually sort of disappointed that they let me through (from the standpoint that they really should hold firm on security!)
this took place in the US

sanschag Oct 19th, 2006 04:58 PM

A few years back (2004) I was moving back home from Germany to the US. One of my "bags" was a box. I brought along a box cutter which I was going to toss and tape in case they asked me to open it, which they didn't. After checking in and before security, I couldn't find the box cutter and figured I had simply forgotten it. (It was a hectic morning.) After getting back to my in-laws house, I reach in my jacket pocket, and what do I find but the box cutter. This had gone through security at both Frankfurt and Munich. Needless to say, I now take with a grain of salt all the comments I've heard about how much better European airport security is.

Nikki Oct 19th, 2006 05:07 PM

The knife my husband bought to cut a hard sausage in Sweden. Went through security in Copenhagen and again in Iceland.

mebanese Oct 19th, 2006 06:00 PM

A miniature gladiator with a pencil sized (and quite sharp) sword that was my son's favorite souvenir. I had wrapped it up at the beginning of our trip so it wouldn't get broken. It passed through Heathrow security, but they caught it in Dulles. Thankfully, the security guy had mercy and walked me back to check the offending bag.

NeoPatrick Oct 19th, 2006 07:48 PM

My very sharp knife with about a 7 or 8 inch blade that I carry for bread and cheese. I really thought it was in my checked luggage, but it was in an outside pocket of my carry on. The funny thing is that in Paris they ran my carry on through the machine and actually asked me if I had a knife in there. I innocently said no, so they let me go without looking inside. When I got home and unpacked there it was.

But the plastic scissors that won't cut thread in a freebie sewing kit -- those they took -- at another location.

Daneille Oct 19th, 2006 08:17 PM

A corkscrew through Sydney Airport that I forgot was in my carryon. Airport security picked it up on the return journey through Melbourne Airport.

I'm finding this post a tad scary actually.

NorCal_Jo Oct 19th, 2006 08:36 PM

A combo corkscrew pocket knife (with a 3inch blade) that I bought in Tuscany for cutting sausage on picnics and forgot to remove from my carryon bag. Went through Rome security with no problem and found it while I was waiting in line for security in London. I voluntarily gave it up since I figured London security would be tighter. Turned out I was right as they then confiscated a corkscrew (no knife) that my husband also forgot he had in his carryon.

artlover Oct 19th, 2006 09:52 PM

I didn't do this (really, really, I swear I didn't) but a friend at the last minute grabbed a bag she hadn't used in years and when she arrived and unpacked discovered she has a 1/2 lid n it! I'm not kidding, and I'm not telling which friend it was! :D

Dukey Oct 20th, 2006 12:06 AM

I'll always remember this when I am told, especially during the next 2.5 weeks, "how safe" we are thanks to....

Marko Oct 20th, 2006 12:17 AM

artlover what is a 1/2 lid ?

laclaire Oct 20th, 2006 12:18 AM

I spent my summers at camp in Minnesota and my main activities were sailing, riflery and climbing. Well, one year I one this big deal riflery award and had the plaque with me in my carry on, which then went on to the flight with me, and when I got home and was unpacking realized that yes, it was decorated with 5 completely real bullets, stuck on with glue. I thought my mother was going to have a fit!

Ackislander Oct 20th, 2006 12:54 AM

Cell phone made it through in my jacket pocket (accidentally) at Boston Logan on the way to LaGuardia. Never even tripped the thing you walk through.