Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What would you wear to dinner at Taillevent? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-would-you-wear-to-dinner-at-taillevent-286001/)

rileypenny Jan 17th, 2008 09:09 AM

What would you wear to dinner at Taillevent?

Going to Paris next week and splurging for a birthday/anniversary dinner at Taillevent. Bittersweet given recent event, but have always wanted to dine there. Was planning to wear a skirt and nice sweater. Someone told me today that I needed to really dress up. Any advice? I do know that my husband will need a jacket and tie.

Jake1 Jan 17th, 2008 09:24 AM

As I remember, a jacket is required and a tie preferred. But it has been a while ago.

kerouac Jan 17th, 2008 09:34 AM

I would wear my normal clothes from the office. But that's just me.

shellio Jan 17th, 2008 10:54 AM

It's been many years since I was there, and clothing trends have become more casual, but if ever there was a need for the "little black dress" this is one of those occasions. Dinner is dressier than lunch, when a business outfit would be fine.

nytraveler Jan 17th, 2008 04:59 PM

A skirt and sweater can be ordinary or tres chic - if the latter fine with perhaps some nice gold jewelry and stunning pumps. Otherwise I would do the little black dress.

StCirq Jan 17th, 2008 05:15 PM

Pearls, heels, and bright red lipstick.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 17th, 2008 06:04 PM

Wear is Thin when we need him?

marginal_margiela Jan 17th, 2008 07:16 PM

No fear, sweetie darling, I am here. Skirt and sweater? For dinner? Are you as daft as a Miss Havisham?

Taillevent is not afternoon tea with the Marchioness of Tavistock. You DO need to make an effort. You can't just show up in Wellies and an old jumper.

Get yourself a good cocktail dress and some Louboutin pumps. I pray that you have at least some good jewellery--Ilias Lalounis or Cartier perhaps?

And please don't wear a tiara and your Aunt Judy's old mink. Everyone will think you are from Ohio.

If you don't have anything resembling a good store in the horrid town you live in, stop by Colette or Galleries Lafayette for some shopping before you go to dinner.

Love you, hate your shoes,
Thingorjus

ira Jan 18th, 2008 04:39 AM

Hi R,

Ignore Kerouac, listen to Thin.

Bring a tie for hubby.

Enjoy your dinner.

((I))

Jake1 Jan 18th, 2008 06:48 AM

Went to their website:
"Dress Code: A jacket is requested and a tie is most welcome." I interpret that as definitely wear a jacket, and a tie would be nice though not required.

I'm not usually a tie person, but I wore a tie and felt comfortable doing so.

rileypenny Jan 18th, 2008 06:52 AM

What a riot. Is Thingorjus available for wardrobe consulting? I know just the shoes..I'm off to Neiman's!

marginal_margiela Jan 18th, 2008 11:16 AM

Needless Markup? Good girl! I have taught you so well in the short time you have been here.

Balenciaga, sweetie darling.

Thingorjus

marya_ Jan 18th, 2008 12:32 PM

Thingorjus,

How to dress for lunch at Taillevent or like caliber restaurant then? (We leave this weekend.)

We are two women from Boston in need of fashion coaching. You see the problem...

marginal_margiela Jan 18th, 2008 04:42 PM

I would wear a suit to lunch at Taillevent if I were you, marya, either with skirt or pants; Chanel sling-backs; Verdura brooch.

Thingorjus