Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would you do w2 weeks in London over Christmas???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 03:18 PM
MarkJ

My wife and I will be in London Dec. 17 - 30th. We are busy making plans and itineraries but I thought I'd ask all you Fodorites "What would you do"? I'm sure you'll provide me with many additional ideas and we'll have to start planning all over again. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>MJ

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 01:20 PM
toom

If you don't mind darkness, cold and wet weather. I would like to suggest to include Scotland in your trip. From london King Cross, it will take you 4 1/2 hours to Edinburgh, or 5 hours to Glasgow 1999 uk city of architecture and design. Then you can explore the high lands.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 01:51 PM
Lori

Mark, <BR>I guess it all depends on what you like - are you into musuems, theater, castles, history in a big way, cathedrals, shopping ????? <BR> <BR>We spent a week in London at Christmas a few years back and it was quite chilly (if you come from a colder area this may not be a problem) and a bit on the rainy side, but be prepared. It was still dark fairly late in the a.m. or so it seemed to us (like 8 o'clock, when we were eating breakfast) and it was really quite dark by 4 p.m. so that does restrict your options somewhat. You don't say if you have been there before but I would definately plan on activities that can be done indoors! In other words a boat ride on the Thames would not be high on my list as the weather would probably not make it enjoyable. That Christmas we were there we took in several shows which was great, we love the theater anyway. The British Museum is a great place and huge as well and certainly worth several visits. The Wallace Collection is another favorite of mine, as well as the National Gallery, The London Museum, and the Victoria & Albert, Westminster Abbey, etc. etc. etc. Actually almost everything is a favorite of mine. <BR> <BR>Of course there is always shopping, Oxford & Bond Street stores and Harrods too, as well as scads of other stores. <BR> <BR>Kensington Palace is worth a visit as is Windsor Castle. My personal favorite is Hampton Court and it's about a 30 min. train ride from Waterloo station. Unfortunately I do not think the gardens would be very exciting in the winter tho,but they are sure lovely int he spring! Warwick Castle is a nice day trip (about 1 1/2 hrs) as well, but again because it gets dark early you want to get started on day trips early in the day. You can also take the Eurostar over to Paris for the day or stay overnight or more - it's not cheap, but it's a fun experience. <BR> <BR>If you are going to spend 2 weeks in London you won't run out of things to do, we've been many times and still haven't, but you will have time for some day trips if you are so inclined. I'd suggest Bath/Salisbury or Canterbury. <BR> <BR>I'm sure you will get tons of ideas, just go with whatever you enjoy the most. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 05:56 AM
lori

Mark, <BR>I just remembered I forgot to mention that the Underground in London does not run on Christmas Day and has limited service on Boxing Day (Dec. 26) as well. It may shut down earlier than normal on Christmas Eve too I think. Likewise London is pretty well shut down on these days so unless you are visiting family or friends you may want to make specific arrangements for eating dinner Christmas Day at your hotel or someplace that has a holiday dinner arrangement. I honestly do not recall much of anything being open, but of course hotels with lots of guests do have to have dining facilities. We spent Christmas Day taking a long walk all over Regent's Park and then another equally long walk across what seemed like (at the time) half of London! It was actually fun tho, while everything was closed we felt like we had it "all to ourselves". I don't remember exactly what we did on Boxing Day but I know I bought a new umbrella that day so a few places must have been open. <BR> <BR>We also enjoyed spending a day up in Hampstead and then walking around Hampstead Heath and visiting Kenwood House. There were virtually no tourists about and it was delightful. It's just a few underground stops and then we took a bus but it made for a fun day "out of London" without actually going out of London. <BR> <BR>Happy Planning!!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:43 AM
tiny tim

I have spent Christmas in London and have to admit that I just don't like that city in winter, and I don't know why. (Although I suspect the rotten weather and utter uselessness of the subway system enter into it.) All the individual elements are great, esp. the museums. I say do them all: National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate (now in two locations), the various houses, the Tower, and my new favorite, the Design Museum on the South Bank. It's gorgeous and there are great restaurants in the area (the one at the museum, Pont de la Tour, etc.). The best part is the area where a famous person gets to create an exhibition of the products which, in their opinion, are best designed. I was there for some landscape gardener (the Brit idea of a famous person being different from here in the States). I fear I'm not making this sound appealing, but it really is. <BR> <BR>I would also recommend trying to see a show or two and looking into what/who is playing at the Royal Albert Hall. Just being in the building is a treat (you'll feel like you're in a jewel box). <BR> <BR>I would second the recommendation to see Bath and add that you should also get to at least one, and preferably both, of the two University towns, Cambridge and Oxford. Cambridge is more beautiful, but Oxford may have the upper hand in terms of indoor things to do and more comfortable weather in winter (the bitterly cold wind in Cambridge has to be experienced to be believed...). But if you only do one trip, I'd vote for Bath. At any time of year it's beautiful and has tons to do, and at Christmastime in England, it's the place to be. <BR> <BR>Finally, when I was there my family had Christmas dinner at the Basil St. Hotel, in Knightsbridge. This was back before London cuisine became hip, and the food left a lot to be desired, but the atmosphere was terrific and every table got Christmas crackers (the kind that go pop!, not the kind you eat), which made it very festive. I don't know if many regular restaurants are open that night, but guess that most hotel restaurants are and that they would all do traditional dinner with crackers and plum pudding and generally make you feel like you're in A Christmas Carol (but without poverty or ghosts). I would recommend looking into it.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Vickie

My favorite museum is the Imperial War Museum (Lambeth tube). So much to see, and such a variety, that you'll want to come back another day. Actual tanks, planes, photos, etc. of various battles - livened up with letters from soldiers, items they used on a day-to-day basis. Also, many exhibits about life on the home front - typical household items, clothing, taped remembrances; a "virtual" recreation of the blitz, complete w/smoke, bombs, air-raid wardens. Also, some kind of flight simulator. Current exhibition is "Britain: From the Bomb to the Beatles". It's a great place! Not what you'd expect from the name. <BR> <BR>Also, walking tours...in June, I particularly liked the Clerkenwell trip - an area of London I had bypassed in all my other trips, but there were some gems there! The Hampstead Heath walking tour is nice too - gives a good sense of the landscape, mixture of houses/heath and shops.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 03:53 AM
Tom Fortin

My wife and I are also spending Christmas and the Millenium in London. We lived in London from 1985 - 1988 and get back as often as we can. There are lots of good ideas already presented. I will add one or two that I didn't see in any of the posts. <BR> <BR>We enjoy the Barbican Center in the "City". It features the London Symphony, the Royal Shakespeare Company Theater, Films and exhibits. You may book performances ahead on their web site. Also there is a nice buffet restaurant that overlooks the pond and fountains and remains of the Roman Wall. A great place to spend a rainey afternoon. The Museum of London is close by. <BR> <BR>Also there is a good breakfast or lunch in the basement restaurant of the Royal Academy on Picadilly. The featured exhibit is usually less crowded in the morning. <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy our favorite city! <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR>TF

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 02:23 PM
Linda

I'd take a train up to York for a day or two. It's a beautiful city with lots of history and York Minster is fabulous. In London, don't miss the British Museum and the Globe Theatre (if it's open then). Theatre, Theatre, and more Theatre. Enjoy!

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 10:41 PM
Nigel Doran

All of the ideas above sound good, but I especially recommend going out of town for a few days. <BR>York in the winter, and at Christmas especially, would be worth a visit, as would Edinburgh. If you want to get there easily, prebook a train ticket to get cheaper (considerably so) fares. www.thetrainline.co.uk (or perhaps just www.trainline.co.uk is the place to look for fares, but remember that most Apex fares won't allow you to break your journey on the way back. (ie. you could only stop in York on the way back from E'burgh if you had one of the walk on fares). If you waited till you came to U K to get the tickets you could still get lucky, but remember the holiday period is likely to be very busy so booking ahead would be best. An Apex fare from London to York would be about £35 and to E'burgh about £50, but you can sometimes get even cheaper deals (I got one once to E'burgh for £30 return!)

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 11:51 PM
Ben Haines

You may like to buy at your arrival airport the events magazine “Time Out”. Under music, “classical” you’ll find notes on weekday concerts at one of Christmas concertos, carols, or both, with mulled wine and mince pies. The atmosphere is good, and the churches are seventeenth century and beautiful. <BR> <BR>Under “theatre” you’ll find notes on pantomimes. If you’re ready to re-enter childhood these are great fun. Bubble Theatre Company are good, and play at the Jeanetta Cochcrane theatre this year. Or you could try a suburb, such as Wimbledon or Deptford. <BR> <BR>Until 22 December many London pubs offer lunch. I’m in Romania now, but in London I have notes on disc of pub lunches that I like. If you’d like a copy please e-mail me in late October. If you do, could you add a note of the interests, jobs, ands tastes of each of you: I may have specific recommendations. <BR> <BR>If you buy a “Saver” or “Supersaver” return ticket to Edinmburgh you can stop in York on thwe way south. <BR> <BR>I agree that London is pretty dead from 24 December to 2 January. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, in Cluj Napoca <BR>