Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-would-you-do-90155/)

coldfeet Oct 16th, 2000 11:45 AM

What would you do?

Departing Nov. 18 for Paris. Current plans call for driving trip, up to Brugge, then down along Normandie coast, then over to Loire valley, back to Paris, then home on 28th. <BR> <BR>Wife is beginning to think it will be to cold and hinting that maybe we should go south to Nice, etc. I prefer original plans but will ask for opinions. I know that going south will be more difficult if driving, but we can get train pass I guess. Also have concerns with south due to its closeness to the Middle East and all that crap going on there. Not to be racist, but the concentration of Algerians in south seems to indicate that terrorist activities could have higher probability...but that is a minor concern. More concerned with timing. <BR>Comments welcome. Thanks

Christina Oct 16th, 2000 01:51 PM

Personally, I think a driving tour of northern France and Belgium sounds pretty grim in November. There will still be something to see in Brugge, I suppose, and the interiors of chateaux, but I wouldn't think the Loire valley will look like anything to write home about in November, and it rains a lot, also. I think it really depends on your goals, if it is to view the countryside, I don't think that is very good in November anywhere in Europe, but it would be worse up north. Nice isn't going to be tropical, either, probably about ten degrees warmer than the north (ie, about 60F rather than 50F in daytime), but the odds of a dry day are greater down south in November. As for the Algerians, I don't quite get your connection, although I admit it is hard for me to keep up with all world political events as much as I would like. There are tons of Algerians in Paris, for example; it is true there are more Algerians in the south like around Marseille, etc., and there have certainly been events tied to Algerian terrorist problems (relating to the terrible civil unrest in Algeria in the last decade, and perhaps immigrant complaints of treatment in France), but as far as I know, there is no connection whatsoever between Algerians in France and the Mideast conflict between Israel and Palestine. In fact, if you are equating all those of Islamic faith and think Algerians will be rioting because of the Palestinians (is that what you're saying?), there should be less problems than other countries as France has been a supporter of a Palestinian homeland and independent nation, I'm pretty sure, and as far as I know, they still support that position. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

John Oct 16th, 2000 02:08 PM

Coldfeet, the driving will likely be easier, the weather warmer, and the days longer in the south. You can save time and exasperation (driving in Paris) by training it to Provence (maybe Avignon) and renting a car there. <BR> <BR>With no personal offense intended whatsoever, though, I think missing out on the South of France because some North Africans live in that region is ridiculous. I'll take your ethnic/racial profiling disclaimer as given. Like most of modern Europe, France is a multi-ethnic society and not given to harboring terrorists or others looking to whack tourists over mid-east conflicts. You'll be safe and warm(er).

elvira Oct 16th, 2000 04:12 PM

Normandy will be no fun in November; it's cold and windy, and since I assume you're going to visit the Landing sites, you will be pretty miserable (especially if the distaff side has reservations about being cold). I suggest you go to Paris for a few days, take the TGV to the south of France, and pick up your car there for driving around. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't worry about terrorism or unrest; there have been some protests and marches, but then the Basques aren't Middle Eastern, are they... <BR>

Al Godon Oct 16th, 2000 04:31 PM

I would stay at home and attend a few good football games. Even paying scalper prices, it would be a lot cheaper.

Angela Oct 17th, 2000 12:27 AM

Coldfeet...hmm I do get your point <BR>But also don't forget that Syria was ruled by France in the early part of the last century. <BR>Could you go to the UK ...... oh no just remembered it was UK and the Balfour declaration that started this whole thing. Also concentrations of British seem to have the same effect as concentrations of Algerians (ie terrorist attacks that you mentioned in your posting)...hmm but you would be safe from Algerians at least. <BR>Poor you...hard decision to make! I would go with Al, you would be safer at the football (as long as a crowd of English footballs "supporters" don't turn up of course) <BR> <BR>

Joel Oct 17th, 2000 01:30 AM

We lived in central France for a number of years. France is a good place to LEAVE in November unless you're into winter sports. Even the Mediterranean coast gets blustery at times and is not at all summery. No way I would follow your itinerary. Go to Val d'Isere and ski