Family Vacation in Paris

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Vacation in Paris

Planning a family vacation this summer to Paris -- have a 6 yr old and 8 yr old. Would appreciate suggestions including things to do, plus nice places to stay.
Not looking for cost savings -- would like a nice, but not stuffy place. Thank you.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM

To do:

The science museum in La Villette. It has sections organized by age groups.

The tethered balloon ride in the Parc Citroën.

Renting a toy sailboat on a breezy day either in the Tuileries or the Luxembourg gardens.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM

We are also going to be in Paris in June with our two boys (7 and 9 yrs) as well as 5 yr old daughter! Does anyone know if the science museum is really worth the trip if only in Paris for a few days? Thanks -- Veebee
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Would you want a room large enough so everyone stays in the same one, or 2 seperate rooms that connect? Do you have a budget in mind for your hotel costs?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM

The museum has a pre-school section, basically a scientific hands-on indoor playground.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Here's a trip report of a family of 4 in Paris. They rented an apartment.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34937928
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I wouldn't judge visiting a science museum of major importance in any city in the world unless it was the top such museum that existed, if I were only there a few days. You can visit science museums in lots of cities, including where you live probably, so I would spend the time doing things more unique to Paris. Also, it is far out and so will take up time going to/from. If you have a kid who is bonkers about science museums, maybe.

The parks, riding a boat on the Seine, Eiffel Tower, seasonal fair/rides in the Tuileries, etc., would be more things I'd spend time doing in Paris. Kids probably would enjoy just a train ride and taking the metro -- take a trip on the line that goes aboveground over the river, which has a view of the Eiffel Tower, kids like that. You might take a trip on that over the river and then go to the lovely park just before the Marmottan museum in the 16th arrondisement. There are lots of kids playing in that area (which has some playground equipment) and there are pony rides, also (actually, I think that guy over there has donkeys, not ponies, but I forget).

On the way to or from, you could stop in the Naval Museum right at Trocadero plaza (which has an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower), which is not crowded and cheaper than other museums. That has some neat boats on display and other things relating to the navy/sea, of course, so although not a science museum, might serve some similar purpose for kids. It's a small museum, also. I think it has one of Napoleon's boats there which was kind of impressive.

Other than that, I would suggest the Arts et Metier museum over in the 3rd arrondisement which is easy to get to, and has a lot of really neat mechanical and science stuff on display (like the pendulum de Foucault, and I think they have an old airplane in the stairwell), so I think that would be of enough interest for a kid who liked science, and easier to go to. They have special visits and activities for kids in there, as a lot of children go there, although they may be in French. But they have periodic time periods when they demonstrate things.
http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I took my kids to Paris a couple of years ago. Favorite things:

1. The playground and trampolines at the Tuilleries.

2. Crepes.

3. Climbing all towers and monuments - Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, Arch de Triomphe, Eiffel, etc.

4. Ice cream and other street food.

5. The playground at the Luxembourg Gardens.

6. Disneyland Paris.

They also liked the Picasso Museum...it's not too big, and it's fun to look at a painting, guess what it is, then read the descripton. I let the kids bring gameboys....that bought me some time at churches where they didn't have a high interest level.

We rented a flat...that worked out a lot better than a hotel room for us. One person can be getting ready in the morning while the others have breakfast. Plus, it can be comforting for kids to have a familiar breakfast-like cereal and milk-and then be more adventurious for other meals.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:19 AM

IF you want some space and your budget is not restricted, much - the apartment in the Hotel Relais du Louvre (top floor, with an elevator) ... along with the full services of the staff just might be the ticket. Its in the 1eme, across the street from the church (no doubt, I'm going to murder the spelling here, but here goes) St. Germaine des Auxerois which served the Louvre.
I always can recommend that little hotel.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM

We took our 9 year-old son to Paris last June and he loved it. His absolute favorite were the trampolines in the Tuileries Gardens. They are cleverly arranged with benches for the parents to sit on. This was perfect when we were tired at the end of the day and he still had energy to burn. The trampolines are tucked away at the end of Gardens nearest the Place de la Concorde, just northeast a bit from the fountain.

Another favorite was taking the Batobus down the Seine. You can get 1, 2 or 5 day passes that allow you to get off and on the boats. They take you to the major sites: Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, etc.

Renting a toy sailboat in the Luxembourg Gardens was also a hit. Another chance for the parents to rest!

A hint on going up the Eiffel Tower: Don't bother with going all the way to the top. The views are not that different from what you'll see from the second level. To go to the top you have to get off at the 2nd level and wait in line -- again! -- and take a second elevator up.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow-these are wonderful suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input. I would definately consider renting an apartment if I couldn't find the right hotel. Not really concerned about budget -- want nice, but not over-the-top. Any favorite sites on how to find these?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Again, are you looking for 1 large bedroom with 3 beds or 2 seperate but connecting rooms?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM

www.vrbo.com will get you started looking at apts. vrbo (vacation rental by owner) is a service to apt. and condo owners worldwide to advertise their rentals.

Type "Paris apartment" into "Search this forum" above to get many many threads on experiences renting and specific apts in Paris.

I've always found that no matter where we vacation we prefer condos, apartments or house rentals over hotels. We can each go to bed whenever we want while others stay up and not disturb the sleepers. We can all enjoy breakfast whenever and have whatever we each chose from the grocery. We keep a deck of cards (usually Uno) on the table so that after dinner we can play as a family, talk about the day and make plans for the next day.

In Paris my son and I enjoyed staying in a courtyard apartment where there were many residents going about their daily lives rather than staying in a hotel with other tourists. We glimpsed mothers and toddlers kissing fathers goodbye in the mornings, saw women returning home from the market on their bikes, watched children on their school playground across the street, and heard daily saxophone and piano practice through open windows. Those snippets of life are memories as rich as seeing the Mona Lisa or Notre Dame...

Whether you chose an apt or a hotel you might chose a location close to one of the large parks (Tuilleries or Luxembourg) for easy access daily outings.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM

with little ones ... is why I suggested the suite (apartment) in the hotel.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM

We rented our apartment from
parisholidayapts.com. The flats are all owned by one guy, who is Canadian; communication with him is very easy. The location of our flat was okay-not fantastic, but he has a new property, the Pont Neuf Duplex, which appears to be in ideal location.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

To Sandy_travelnut...sorry, I'm looking for two seperate, adjoining rooms. I'd like to be able to put my kids to sleep and still stay up with my wife...maybe sitting on a balcony?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM

I found the guidebook "Take the Kids Paris" to be helpful. It has a section on places to stay that are family friendly.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM

We used to stay with our two young ones (now grown) often at the Hotel Duquesne-Eiffel in "chambres communicantes" (adjoining rooms sharing a common hallway and sometimes sharing one bath, but sometimes with two). Sometimes we had a balcony overlooking the Tour Eiffel. Might check it out.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM

things to do: don't forget Paris Plage end of July to end of August. Beach on the Seine. Sounds kitsch till I tried it. Nice to have a great gelato, sitting on a beach chair, in sand, on the Seine, and watching Paris go by.

If your French is good, I also suggest colocation.fr - if you go in August, when many Parisians are out of the city, you may be able to find someone who wants to rent out their whole flat. I did it. It was great!