Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what would you avoid in a brief 3 day visit to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-would-you-avoid-in-a-brief-3-day-visit-to-paris-928645/)

otto2 Mar 22nd, 2012 02:17 AM

what would you avoid in a brief 3 day visit to Paris

Have 3 days in Paris. Everyone speaks of the things to see... but what should one avoid?

Dr_DoGood Mar 22nd, 2012 03:02 AM

Montmartre - the only thing going for it is the view to the south over the city, which, with the Sacre Coeur bascilica behind you, remains unsullied by that hideous confection.

And don't get me started on the pestilential 'artists' who infest the streets up there banging out near xerographic copies of the same old dull watercolours that display all the artistic integrity of a dog-turd on the pavement. Excerable truly just about sums it up.

Dr D.

Ackislander Mar 22nd, 2012 03:15 AM

I certainly would spend the least possible amount of time below ground -- Metro if necessary or for the experience, but no sewers, no catacombs, and save the Conciergerie for a much later visit, if ever.

In another post, I said that on a brief visit I would skip the Rue Cler of Rick Steves fame, the Centre Pompidou (Beauborg), and the Pantheon. I'll stand b these, agree with the poster above on Montmarte (mostly) and remain perfectly happy if anyone chooses to disagree.

jamikins Mar 22nd, 2012 03:30 AM

I would avoid a dinner cruise (highly recommend a night cruise on the Seine with Les Vedettes de Pont Neuf - book online for cheaper tickets) as dinner cruises tend to have mediocre food.

I'd also skip the Moulin Rouge and Champs d'Elysee (just a large street with high end shops and tonnes of tourists)

Gretchen Mar 22nd, 2012 04:14 AM

This turned out to be a much more constructive and interesting thread than I envisioned!! And I agree largely with all of the above suggestions. If you don't go to rue Cler, I would go to some street market or even another market street like rue Mouffetard. I think they are quite unique---do we have anything comparable in a US city?

FrenchMystiqueTours Mar 22nd, 2012 05:02 AM

I would avoid the gold ring scam, the pickpockets, the petition people and the string bracelet guys. If you see them, avoid kerouac and FMT too.

tarquin Mar 22nd, 2012 05:13 AM

Dr Dogood, your words about the "artists" describe how I feel about the pests who clog the Piazza Navona in Rome.

cornelius01 Mar 22nd, 2012 05:33 AM

I would not waste time at the Louvre either....too big and takes too long. nice small one to visit would be L'Orangerie if you like Monet or Rodin or even Rodin gardens nice to see. A nite river cruise on the Seine. Walk around Isle STE Louis and have lunch there with a visit to Notre Dame also and a day time ride on the Batobus for an overall view of the city. Know lots of people think this is a waste of time but we always do this for a slower paced kind of thing.

mamcalice Mar 22nd, 2012 07:10 AM

You've gotten some good suggestions on things to leave out if you have only 3 days. The Louvre, however, is not something to avoid. It is easy to visit for an hour or so and see a few of its most wonderful treasures. After 8 trips to Paris, we never miss an opportunity to see the Winged Victory. Choose a section and focus on only that section. The Louvre is overwhelming to be susre but still worth a short visit. It's been years since we saw the Mona Lisa - the gallery is always jammed.

There is a recent thread on this forum asking for the top 3 things to see and do in Paris. It has some very nice and helpful suggestions.

tejana Mar 22nd, 2012 07:21 AM

I'm not sure I agree with skipping the Louvre altogether, but you can be in and out in 20 minutes if you just want to check the "big three" (Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory) off of your list. I'm more of a d'Orsay fan, but if I'd never been to Paris before I'd probably make the effort to drop in (don't use the pyramid entrance and have a museum pass handy and you will avoid the lines).

StCirq Mar 22nd, 2012 07:28 AM

The Champs Elysées. The Moulin Rouge and the Place du Tertre. Angelina. Chartier. Châtelet métro stop. The odious Greek and other cheap restaurants in the Latin Quarter (in fact, I skip the Latin Quarter almost entirely except for a visit to Gibert-Jeune). The Batobus.

PatrickLondon Mar 22nd, 2012 07:36 AM

An interesting and stimulating question. Personally, I was put off for years by having to do the forced tourist march around the more grandiose and pompous sights. All that tramping up and down identical Haussmann boulevards wears you down. I agree with many of the suggestions above: as a general principle, I'd look at where the crowds are and then see what's round the other side of them, so to speak.

shutdown Mar 22nd, 2012 07:51 AM

Yes, I am agree to not skip the Louvre, although it was big museum along another smaller in Paris, it's very interesting to visit.

I would suggest to avoid Montmartre and Bastille area

Rastaguytoday Mar 22nd, 2012 10:20 AM

If you decide to go to versailles, I would suggest you go before the buildings open. The last couple of times I was there, I would just walk the grounds before the pay sites open for the day. More effective and efficient.

Barbara_Barquin Mar 22nd, 2012 11:15 AM

Hi sorry to barge in ;o) Visiting during June , Eiffel Tower visit, any tips,should I buy the tickets on line , how about guided tour? Is the restaurant on the first floor le 58 tour eiffel a must?? Please and Thank you.

Gretchen Mar 22nd, 2012 11:23 AM

Why not start your own thread with the questions? More productive and to your point.

cornelius01 Mar 22nd, 2012 11:46 AM

All in all avoid running around like a crazy person for 3 days trying to cram in all the things people recommend....just take the time to enjoy Paris so that you don't need a vacation when you get home in order to rest up.

Ackislander Mar 22nd, 2012 12:07 PM

Going up in the Eiffel Tower is another thing I wouldn't do if I only had three days.