Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would be your ideal tourist destination in Europe this time around?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious to find out where you guys are heading out next. Say in the coming months (early next year) when weather aren't that kind, where would be the idealic place to leisure in Europe?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:13 AM

The Dolomites - Val Gardena or Val Badia ... preferably with snow

Rome. Or Venice ...

Or Naama Bay.

Steve

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I'm planning trips to two very different spots: Denmark and Madrid. Denmark would be just after Christmas; I'd have to really bundle up. Madrid wouldn't be till next spring. I'm still itching to take that road trip through Southern France, but old friends in the aforementioned spots have priority.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Our 2008 trips are Portugal and Romania; like Katie, two completely different trips!

You mention winter but we are going to Portugal in May and Romania in September. We're unfortunately staying in cold Canada for winter!!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM

I'm visiting Denmark in a few months. While there, I hope to head to Sweden for a day trip as well.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM

My sis and I are going to London/Paris/Florence/Rome this November. And according to various weather sites, November is the wettest month in Italy. So we're looking forward to that.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I, the Great and Powerful Thingorjus, am travelling to Berlin this Christmas. In July, 2008, my husband and I are planning on Milan and Lake Como.

I would really love to visit Australia, but absolutely dread the thought of the total flying hours from JFK--something like 36 hours!!!!!!

Thingorjus
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM

October 2007...

Croatia (Dalmatian coast), Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro

January 2008...

skiing in Borovets, Bulgaria
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I was in Switzerland at this time last year and it was perfection. Fortunately, we have two good trips coming up:

Oct '07: Seville
Nov '07: Buenos Aires

For colder weather, I think cities are your best bet, especially Paris or Rome.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Budapest in late September.

Crete and Hydra in October.

Nice in late December.

Possibly USA in March.

Too many places, too little time.....

To the Great and Powerful Thingorjus (gosh you sound like a hoot) - Australia is a fantastic place, you must go!! If you have the time and money, you could stopover on the west coast, then stop in Hawaii then it's not that far to Sydney. If I can fly many time from Australia to the USA, you can too. Don't be a wimp
Kay
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM

We are heading to Munich, Salzburg and Prague at the end of October 2007. The next trip is already booked for Rome, Positano,Naples and Florence for our 30th wedding anniversary in May 2008. Unfortunately, nothing planned for this winter but plenty of planning to do for the upcoming trips to keep us busy and excited.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Our next two longer trips will be:

2-3 weeks in Saxony (Dresden, Meissen, Gorlitz, countryside), with stops in Siegen and Brussels on the drive back to the UK. We've been trying to do this trip for over a year, it's now our top travel priority.

A week on the Isle of Skye plus a couple of days getting there and back (stops not determined yet). We haven't picked exact dates yet, but we know we need to avoid bird nesting season and also the height of the midge season. We're going to rent a self-catering place, sightsee as the mood takes us, but mostly walk, enjoy the scenery and let the spaniel frolic on the beach.

1-2 weeks in Baden-Wurttemberg, stopping at Baden-Baden and Heidelberg to see family, a couple of days in Freiburg and probably a couple of days in Brussels on the way home.

We usually need to put in a few days in Brussels on the return to the UK to get our cocker to our Belgian vet because of pet passport requirements (must have vet check between 24 and 48 hours before return to the UK). Plus we like to hit the local Colruyt to stock up on basic supplies that are cheaper there than in the UK. And pick up a few things we can't get in the UK (Extra cereal, Silomat cough medicine, mundane stuff like that).
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Saturday: Bern for a conference

Dolomites: preferably without snow
I'm going there for hiking and not skiing!

Next May: Edinburgh. Would any Fodorites like to meet with us?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Am in the process of deciding between Portugal or Paris/Dordogne for next early June - for me, my husband, and my 13 y.o. stepson.

Leaning toward Portugal since we have been to paris three times ...
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM

We're going to Hong Kong and then Australia in the fall. ThinG, you're only 2 hours or so further east than me - you can do it! We do the Oz trip all the time to visit my in-laws and I hate, hate, hate flying (but like my in-laws). I'm pullin' for you, but just in case, I go with what I know. Qantas and Xanax baabbyyyy..

Next actual Europe trip? I don't know. Everytime I think of a next trip I want to do lately, it's not in Europe. But after the trip after next to Vietnam, we're going to have a baby along. So we discussed easier trips to start off. Maybe Amsterdam. Or Stockholm & the Baltics. Ooooo, better yet - Istanbul (is that easier or harder than say, Madrid?).

Obviously, I don't have a good answer except that John should go to Oz.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I'm leaving mid-Oct for a month in Europe: Budapest - Vienna - Graz - Kufstein - Innsbruck - Venice. I have all the hotel reservations and am now researching restaurants. It's my first trip to Venice and I can't wait.

This is partly a test trip to see if my broken ankle has recovered enough for me to plan for Central Asia next year.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM

We're definitely going to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest in June, and the only other plans I have are a Mexican Riviera cruise for our March anniversary and try for a week in Amsterdam or Barcelona this November, (if we can get a good deal).
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi all,
We are going to the Mosel, Rhine, Romantic Road to Berchtesgaden area last week Oct. and first week of Nov. Can't wait! Hopefully we'll get to go back to the Dolomites in the next year or two.

Paul
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM

"I would really love to visit Australia, but absolutely dread the thought of the total flying hours from JFK--something like 36 hours!!!!!! '
MM,
it is about 14 hours from LA (or SF ) to Sydney. It is not as bad as it sounds ( take a sleeping pill!)
Sydney is fantastic!!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Thingorjus - come to Australia, especially Tasmania, I would love to read your trip report from here! It is a very long flight but worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -