Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would a 13-year-old boy like to do in London and outskirts with 6 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Jamila

I'll be in London 11/23-11/30. I want my 13 year old brother to enjoy the trip to the max. I would like to take him to the Harry Potter sites, but don't know if I can do it all in a relaxed matter over 6 days? What are the absolute musts for this kid who gets bored easily? Open top bus tour. London Dungeon. Is Warwick Castle the best one for a kid? We would like to use London as our hub and go out during the days.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
deflower

get him a hooker and a pack of lucky strikes

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Dawn

I think there is a ton of information available here from previous posts -- have you tried a search yet?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Season

Kids at 13 have different interests, and I know how hard it is at that age with the "bored easily" thing (they're ALL like that!). First, it will probably be way too cold for the open top bus tour, but if not, that's fun. If he still likes kid toys, there's Hamley's Toy Store (6 stories of toys -- he can't get bored!). Kids that age also seem to like the Beefeater tour of the Tower of London (good castle site!), certainly Camden Loch if the kid has hit the appearance is everything stage. There's usually a good theatre performance that will not bore him, although if you were going later, near Christmas, you could take him to see a pantomime (I'm talking the xmas fracture fairy tale variety, not the Marcel Marceau kind). If the weather is decent (wait 5 minutes) a row on the Serpentine (yeah, it will be cold) could be fun.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Jen

Definitely do a search on this board -- I have more than once written up the activities I did with my 13 yo son and 15 yo daughter in July/August 2001. <BR><BR>The Tower of London is a must, and Warwick castle is a good idea, but the London Dungeon is not -- PLEASE take a look at their web site before you put this on your itinerary.<BR><BR>Many of the sites used in FILMING the HP movies are too far out of London for your convenience, but you can still get to Oxford, the site of several fmilm scenes. Film/story sites right in London include the Zoo and King's Cross. <BR><BR>Did you know that there's no wall between gates 9 and 10 at King's Cross -- JKR was thinking of Euston Station when she wrote that part! And purists who've analyzed the story don't believe that the Dursleys' ill-fated zoo trip was to the London Zoo, not only for strategic reasons but because when Hagrid takes Harry to London, he say she's never been before. Ah, the life of the Harry-obsessed! (We put together our own Potter tour in the summer of 2001.)

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jamila

Jen - Thanks for your insight on the HP tour. Could you email me or list on this board the details of your own HP tour? How many days did you do it in? Where did you stay?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Jen

We stayed in the UK for 3 weeks -- 2 weeks in London and 1 week driving about the countryside. This was a combination HP tour for me and son, and Elizabeth I tour for my Elizabethan-fan daughter. Each of them visited the sites that were of interest to the other -- i do not believe in catering to bored children.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:58 PM
xx

spend it with a 13 yr. old girl.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:41 PM
orgy7

What would a 13-year-old boy like to do in London and outskirts with 6 days?<BR><BR><BR>-watch TV<BR>-Play gameboy<BR>-stair at womens breasts <BR>-play with his himself.. <BR><BR>Yep, what all 13 year old boys like too do.. <BR><BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Singapore

I have 2 brothers ( 14 and 12) who have been with me in London a few times. They have enjoyedBR>1- Trocadero (playing at the arcades)<BR>2- London dungeon<BR>3- London eye<BR>4- Rock circus <BR>5- walking in leicster square<BR>6- covent garden<BR>7- Natural history museum<BR>8- legoland

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Ruth

I wouldn't suggest Legoland myself - more for the under 10's. Duxford Air Museum might be worth a trip (it's near Cambridge - I think there's a bus from Cambridge train station). http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/index.htm

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Laura

At that age I enjoyed the British Museum (all those mummies) and Winsor Castle (tons of armor, swords and associated cool things).

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:44 PM
nancy

Warwick Castle would be fun for a 13 year old - it was fun for me! Definitely the Tower tour and perhaps Madame Tusaud's Wax Museum along with the Planetarium there. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after seeing all the main sites in London. Even if the open top bus tours are cold, it's a great way to see London and you can hop on/off. If you can get on early and sit way up front (in front of the wind shield) I'd go for it.