What wine to drink in Rome.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Laura

What wine to drink in Rome.

Hello all. Would like some advice from you wine gurus on a good red in Rome. I like a cabernet sauvignon with a bite to it. Thanks.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
huh

Then go to France.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Santa Chiara

Ask Dean. And give a few euro to the woman shaking a cup at you, clutching her last bottle of Colli Orentali's Tocai Friulano. That would be me.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Rex

Tocai? I don't think so.

Teroldego Rotaliano - - and the higher priced ones, naturally are generally worth paying that premium to drink.

Of course, you CAN get a Bordeaux, even in Italy, if you really wish. Or an Austrian - - like a Zweigelt blaufrankisch.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
up

bottoms up

Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
peter

you can order whatever turn yoou on in rome for red wine. the wines of that areaa are mostly the frascati white wines. the vineyards start on the eastern edge or rome and go all ovet to frascati and morino(castelli romani) there is a fampoous wine festival in morino every oct when the harvest is completed and the wine flows from the towm plaza statue. try the local white you may be surprised

Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:45 PM
oh

I think peter had too much of the grape before he started typing !

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Tom

More suggestions?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Sue

Ask the waiter for a recommendation. He or she will be so flattered and they usually pick something good. You really can't go wrong in Rome - everything tastes fantastic.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:34 PM
T. Orzel

Do not order France wine in Italy. Try a Barbera, Barolo or Barberesco. Chianti is always a safe choice. You will be surprised to know how good Italian wines are.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:45 PM
The Tuscan Estates

A lot of good beginner/foundation info at www.ruffino.com

Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:29 AM
Santa Chiara

I am surprised, Rex. I thought you read every single item ever posted, cross-referenced them and stored them on Zips. The Tocai allusion was to another thread Dean started about the wines of Italy. I replied in kind after tasting one of his recommendations.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:17 AM
dean

Rex... Tocai Friulano, the dry wine related to (and far superior to IMO) and not the Tocai of Hungarian descent. In fact, last I heard, in several years the Italians will have to stop using the name Tocai because of the confusion it causes. I believe they are planning to use the word Furlan.

Secondly, for Laura, there are many cabernets available from Italy. And you mention a "bit of a bite" to it which means you probably like wines a bit on the tannic side. The best Italian cabernets come from Toscana or the Veneto. The Toscana varieties will usually be "super tuscans" or Vino da Tavola. Sassacaia is a fabulously expensive cabernet from Bolgheri which is a towwn on th ecoast of Toscana. If you mention that you want someting similar to that wine it will give the waiter an idea of what you are looking for. Tignanello from Antinori is a chianti with cabernet as the blending grape. Brunello di MOntalcino will probablt appeal to a cabernet drinker. From Piemonte, I would recomend Barbaresco over Barolo as being typicall more similar in style. This is a very sweeping generalization about these two fairly similar wines. Unless you are made of money I would stay away from producers like Gaja, Giacosa and look for lesser know examples.

There are many other examples of cabernet being grown in Italy so go to a good wine shop and ask. Try VOlpeti in Testacchio for both incredible cheeses and a very good wine selection. Try wine bars such as Cul de Sac. There was a thread on wine bars recently

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Patrick

Laura, I too like a big cabernet and like a little bite to it. My best luck with unknown wines from a list throughout Italy has been to pick a "Nobile de Montepulciano". Note that it is a Nobile not a Rosso. Invariably I have been very happy with them.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:18 AM
Rex

<<I am surprised, Rex. I thought you read every single item ever posted>>

Hardly. I think that I never read two-thirds of the threads here.

<<cross-referenced them and stored them on Zips.>>

No storage required. I once tried to make a file of URLs of thread on which I had replied - - it was easy enough to do with the "new format" of last spring. But improved searching functionality has made all that unnecessary.

Mostly, I remember stuff I see here, especially if I ever posted on it.

I suppose this was supposed to be a dig. Any particular reason why?

And thanks Dean for the clarification about Hungarian Tocai and Furlan/Tocai. I am always glad to learn something like this. Hope they do well with that name change. Too evocative of "Tokay", as in Mogen-David!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Santa Chiara

Sigh.

<<Message: Tocai? I don't think so.>>

And this isn't a "dig?"

Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:57 AM
Rex

I am very, very sorry. I can see how a "tome" might be read into it. But I meant just the literal words.

as in "Does Tocai have a bite to it?" I don't think that it does".

It was not meant as a put-down. Please accept my apology.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Now

Now, now children. Stop digging. It'll get all infected.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Laura

Thank you all very much. What I meant in my post was that I like a cabernet sauvignon, so was hoping for Italian wines of like taste. I think I gleaned some of that info from your various responses, in particular thanks to Dean. Salut everyone!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:17 PM
One last time

up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO