Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What will taxi from JFK to Newark airport cost for 4?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving into JFK on our flight to Athens and departing from Newark (can't complain...flying free on ff miles). The Airporter shuttle costs $24 per person (so about $100 for 4). How does that cost compare to simply taking a taxi cab instead?

According to this:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connmainewr.htm

...it is $75ish + tolls + $15 surcharge. Any idea on what the toll cost would be?

Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:36 AM

The taxi will most like take the Belt Parkway (no toll), over the Verrazano Bridge ($9), across Staten Island to the Goethels Bridge ($6) to Newark Airport. There is also a smaller toll on the turnpike. Traffic on the Belt Parkway can be horrendous during parts of the day, not just rush hour and the meter will be running while you sit not moving, although if you are lucky it will sometimes move right along. In good traffic figure a minimum of 45 minutes for the trip. It can easily take much longer and usually does.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM

A NYC taxi from JFK to Newark will carry a surcharge of maybe $15 plus all return tolls on top of the meter and the tolls to get there. Also, not sure about the rules, but there are not a lot of cabs that will take 4 people. You might contact a car service to get a quote on their flat rate for this transfer, but $100 for 4 does not sound bad to me.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM

The other thing is, would a cab be able to hold all the luggage for 4?

I think you're better off with the shuttle option.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

We (family of 4) take cabs to and from the airport all the time and they always take 4, I don't thing they are aloowed not to. They aren't allowed to take 5, but 4 is no problem. 1 of you will have to sit in the front seat with the driver but other than that it's fine.

As for luggage, we never had a problem. When we take a big trip we usually carry 1 large suitcase, 1 large duffel type bag, 2 smaller suitcases plus some small carry ons (which we hold in our laps). The luggage always fits in the trunk.

What day and time will this be. If it's during rush our, it may take a couple of hours. 45 minutes would be no traffic at all in.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

This will be a Thursday. We arrive at JFK at 2pm and need to be to Newark for a 7:30pm flight. We have a good amount of time but would prefer to get there as soon as possible in case we get in bad traffic, misplace luggage, etc. That is why I am intersted in the taxi since the shuttle has to stop at a lot of other areas to pick up passengers at JFK before heading to Newark.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I second Coco's suggestion of maybe using a car service. It looks like you can get a minivan for $85 + tolls from Carmel Limo. www.carmellimo.com
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM

NYC cabs are required to take 4 passengers - they have no choice - one sits in front with the drier and the seat may be untidy. The issue is the luggage. Sometimes cabs have stuff in their trunks but even if it doesn;t a lot of luggage might not fit (will not likely hold 4 large suitcases plus 4 carryons).

So - if you have reasonable luggage take a cab. With more take the shuttle - cost will be similar.

If you get a van from a car service it will be a little more by the time you add tips and tolls.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM

As long as you get out of the airport before 3, you should be OK. It will be longer than 45 minutes, probably more like 1 1/4 hours but you'll get to Newark well before 5:30.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the JFK monorail (AirTrain)? I know it's finally up and running, but don't know anyone who's taken it.

My suggestion would be to take AirTrain plus LIRR at least to Penn Station in Manhattan; you could then take NJ Transit plus another AirTrain to Newark Liberty, or a cab from Penn to the airport. I suggest this because inevitably in this city, road traffic is what will get you down. The Belt Parkway especially can be really bad.

The MTA website says JFK AirTrain $5 per person, plus $12pp for LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station. That at least would get you to the west side of Manhattan, where you could hop on another train or catch a cheaper cab... The website also says AirTrain is 15 min to Jamaica (24 hrs a day) and 35 min on LIRR to Penn.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/airtrain.htm

If you were then to train it to Newark, you would take NJ Transit to Newark Airport Train Station (note this is different from the main Newark station), and another AirTrain to your terminal. There are quite frequent LIRR and NJ Transit trains for those two legs, and AirTrain supposedly runs every 3-7 minutes.

Of course, this would all be a total pain with lots of luggage. But it may end up saving you time...

Here's some more links:
http://www.panynj.gov/
- Click on AirTrain Newark for info
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/
- Click on Long Island Railroad under Schedules

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo
- Page for Airport Connection info
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM

P.S. If you do end up taking a yellow cab, do *not* let them take you the Belt Parkway to the Verrazzano Bridge. A good cabbie will know the local roads (i.e., North Conduit to Atlantic Avenue), which although there are stoplights, usually move much faster than the Belt. Plus, the Belt is just that - it loops all the way around the edge of Brooklyn and adds a lot of distance/money to your trip!

One benefit of taking a car service rather than a yellow cab is that they are paid a set rate (instead of meter) and thus are more likely to take the fastest route so they can pick up the next fare. Plus, the cars are roomier and the trunks larger!

Carmel as mentioned by another poster is fine, as is Tel-Aviv 212-777-7777 or 800-222-9888 x9888.

Good luck!