Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What were your biggest mistakes when visitong France? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-were-your-biggest-mistakes-when-visitong-france-709559/)

Photobear May 31st, 2007 05:21 PM

What were your biggest mistakes when visitong France?

What did you dislike?

Did you run out of money?

Did you not like it?

Did you not plan enough?

Did you over plan?

Did you pick the wrong place to stay or the wrong method of transportation?

Tell me all your shameful secrets, I promise I won't tell anyone...

LOL :)

Photobear May 31st, 2007 05:22 PM

Like I did mispelling VISITING in the title of this thread...

grandmere May 31st, 2007 05:24 PM

And also misspelling misspelling.

StuDudley May 31st, 2007 05:26 PM

>>What did you dislike?<<

Leaving....

We return first thing tomorrow.

Stu Dudley

Photobear May 31st, 2007 05:29 PM

It's just not my day. :P

RonZ May 31st, 2007 05:36 PM

Hah--Stu took the words right out of my mouth.

Jess215 May 31st, 2007 05:41 PM

By the time I first visited France, I learned to avoid certain mistakes, but on other trips, they had been: continuing with my "agenda" no matter how tired (or hot or cold or hungry) I was, rather than stoppping for a lengthy break at a cafe, a park, or whatever.
Another was seeing too much through the camera lens, rather than just LOOKING at things. A lesser mistake was not having a couple of cell phones so my companion and I could do different things, yet check in, keep in touch, etc. without getting "lost."

cigalechanta May 31st, 2007 05:46 PM

Not enough $$$$$$$$$
and leaving :)

jjkbrook May 31st, 2007 06:20 PM

I didnt realize how very BIG the country was, much larger than Italy, where I have a lot of travel experience, and as a result we were over-ambitious in the number of destinations we could cover and spent too much of our time on the road. (Paris Burgundy Loire and a taste of Normandy in 10 days - since we had spent a fair amount of time in Paris before, we did day trips to Chartres and Reims while in Paris)

nbujic May 31st, 2007 06:32 PM

should have bought that pair of shoes...

robjame May 31st, 2007 06:43 PM

Not buying that souvenir for ourselves at the first of the trip. You know the one - the one we were sure we would see later on in the trip at a better price.
...and spending too much time (and money) buying stuff for friends and family

brando May 31st, 2007 07:14 PM

Not spending an extra day would be number one, number two was not taking the invation of the english sweety who invited me back to her hostel,while we were drinking in a canadian bar(the moose????) She was a hottie.

I long to go back to paris, the markets, the cafes, the art, and the people watching. Maybe again once my boys are old. I hope.

Savior Jun 1st, 2007 11:00 AM

Didn't plan enough free time. Time to just explore.

Also didn't write down what souviners I had promised to bring back, and ended up forgetting to get them.

Don't take your wife and daugther into Louis Vuiton. $1000 down the drain.

caroltis Jun 1st, 2007 11:04 AM

I didn't purchase enough from the village market days because I didn't want to "lug" it around for the rest of the trip. Wish I had made the purchases and shipped them back home...now I'm home and longing for so many of the things I passed up. To me the market days were the nicest surprise of the Provence portion of our visit.

SuzieCII Jun 1st, 2007 11:21 AM

I dislike that I don't speak the language well enough. I can make myself known, but their responses "plus vite"...
Yes I always ran out of money.
I love France, the Parisians and the other French.
I don't plan much anytime. I do believe in serendipity.
I did pick a wrong place to stay. It was merely wrong for me, someone else (younger) probably would adore it.
My shameful secret? It took me 4 visits to even try the Metro. We don't have those things where I live...I was an idiot! (That's right! I'll call myself one before someone else does! I walked and I cabbed it.)

As a photographer sort, if you go, and get up before dawn, wow...what artsy black and whites you can get with the web cobbles, the reflections in puddles...plus, to me, its a great time to see Paris.

suec1 Jun 1st, 2007 11:26 AM

Not taking a picture ID with me for my daytrip using a PREM ticket but luckily the conductor just told me "next time".

jbass Jun 1st, 2007 11:27 AM

Disliked (none of these were deal breakers):
Went with my SO, who doesn't like to shop. b(
Some of the shops I researched, were gone. b(
Didn't get to Versailles. b(
Didn't realize finding the rental car return at CDG would be difficult-but foruntately lucked out. b(
I LOVE PARIS !!! [-o<

katya_NY Jun 1st, 2007 11:30 AM

Spending too much time in Paris and not enough in the beautiful countryside...

%%-

jrecm Jun 1st, 2007 11:33 AM

Not renting our Paris Perfect apartment for 2 weeks instead of only one and not spending more time in the chateau countryside.

tripgirl Jun 1st, 2007 11:35 AM

Always dislike leaving

Never ran out of money: what do you think DH's are for??

Always love it

Overplanner to the max

This is the single most important thing to us, so we always stay where we want

The only thing I still regret to this day, each time we visit France, we've been about 10 times, is I never spend enough time learning more of the language,; my polite words are down pat, but nothing really more. I do however try and speak Italian while in Italy and have concentrated on that language a whole lot more!

See you are going to France.. have a ball!