Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WHAT wear in the Italian summer (urban area)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Ieda

Does anyone know what we must wear in the Italian summer? Any tips? <BR> <BR>Thx, <BR>Ieda/Brazil <BR> <BR>

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Nora

Top!

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:58 PM
elvira

Nora is correct: you must wear a top. <BR> <BR>Seriously: if you are in the cities like Rome or Florence, lightweight (silk, cotton, linen) pants, skirts and short-sleeved tops will be comfortable and allow you to visit churches and eat in nice restaurants without having to tote around extra clothes or return to your hotel. <BR> <BR>If you are in the countryside or seaside, shorts and t-shirts are appropriate; again, be sure the shorts are knee-length and the tops cover you so you can visit churches, abbeys, etc. without having to carry extra clothes or return to your hotel to change. <BR> <BR>I'm not a fan of sandals in the city, simply because it's too dirty and too many people find my toes good targets from tromping, so I have two pair of closed walking shoes; at the seashore, I'd bring a pair of sandals. <BR> <BR>

Old May 18th, 2001, 02:06 PM
kam

I have a (rather old now) black and white polka dot tank dress that has a short sleeved jacket that goes over it for cooler weather, A/C, or church visits. My husband is getting really sick of seeing it, but it's perfect. For dressier evenings, add a black linen blazer or (haven't tried this yet) a white shawl. Shoes--black clunky slingbacks with the shock absorber soles.

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Kathy

Hi. <BR>Elvira & Kam are both correct. Do not wear shorts in the city & do not wear tank tops or if possible, sleeveless tops in the same locale. <BR> <BR>I am a big fan of the skirt or dress in summer without hosiery. I do wear sandals, but the toes are closed on them. This should help keep you cool & comfortable, but modestly dressed to the point that you do not attract the wrong kind of attention & you will be able to visit any duomo or chiesa. <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>Kathy

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Betsy

LOL, Elvira! When are you going to Italy? Taking any Loons? I saw your earlier post.

Old May 19th, 2001, 06:00 AM
irene

Kathy -- Is your comment about no sleeveless tops just because of the possibility of visiting churches?