Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What was your BEST experience in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-was-your-best-experience-in-rome-636746/)

TaffyA Aug 4th, 2006 08:20 PM

What was your BEST experience in Rome?

We will spend 5 days in Rome in late September, and don't want to spend all (or perhaps any...?) of our time in museums or at the Vatican. I'd love to hear your recommendations for most interesting / enjoyable things you did there.

LoveItaly Aug 4th, 2006 08:28 PM

My question would be what caused you to chose to go to Rome Taffy? What interests you two about Rome? What is interesting and enjoyable to me does not sound like it would be interesting and enjoyable to you probably.

julia_t Aug 5th, 2006 05:30 AM

You don't have to go to Rome and spend any time in museums if that isn't what interests you. But you must have some interest in history if you are even considering going to Rome in the first place.

There are an infinite number of fabulous churches to visit, not to mention all the historic ruins.

There is plenty you can do in Rome as well, how about a bicycle tour with

www.enjoyrome.com

You can walk along the Appian Way, see the catacombs, go shopping, go to the opera, a football match, do a daytrip to one of the Castelli Romani towns (wine tasting in Frascati for example), or just sit and eat, drink, watch people and take the time to relax.

Above all, enjoy Rome and don't feel you have spend the time in a maelstrom of sightseeing - after all, it's YOUR holiday.

TexasTiger Aug 5th, 2006 08:38 AM

Take a cab or driver to Giancolo and Girabaldi monument in Trastevere for view over Rome. Have a drink on top of Hotel Eden for another good view. Walk the streets between Trevi and Navona for outside restaurants and feel for old city. I am sure others will have favorite spots-these are a few of mine. You will love Rome!!

Dukey Aug 5th, 2006 08:45 AM

Take a walk in the park near the zoo and the Borghese Gallery; visit the Spanish Steps; wander around in Trastevere; view the Trevi Fountain. I disagree that you need to have any interest in history to enjoy the beauty of the city.

cheribob Aug 6th, 2006 09:31 PM

I went to a restaurant & there were 3 opera singers who serenaded the diners. It might have been schmaltzy & touristy but I really enjoyed it. The singers were very good. I'll have to look up the name of the restaurant.

I was also very happy because other members of our group tried to get opera tickets (impossible at short notice) but I was able to brag that I had heard opera in Rome!

annw Aug 6th, 2006 09:35 PM

Wandering through the Pantheon; wandering through ancient Rome (Forum, Colisseum, etc.)--on Sunday they close the road leading to that part of the city, and lots of people walk it; it was wonderful!

One of my favorite memories of Rome is dining outside under the trees in a restaurant we had trouble finding but was listed in Fodors. So, dining al Fresco in our last evening in Rome was really memorable.

LoveItaly Aug 6th, 2006 09:51 PM

Taffy, I love sitting at outdoor cafes in the piazzas. I love walking away from the normal places that all the tourist go to and just walk through neighborhoods where the residents live.
That is a nice break from historical sites, churches, museums etc.

francophile03 Aug 6th, 2006 09:58 PM

Honestly it was just walking around by the touristy parts like the Spanish Steps, Via del Corso, and sitting in the piazzas eating gelato. Piazza Navona was our favorite.

Pegontheroad Aug 6th, 2006 10:27 PM

I found the Vatican museum, St. Peter's and the Pantheon to be stunning, and my first sight of the coliseum was unforgettable. But a small thing that really impressed on me the antiquity of the city was seeing "SPQR" on the manhole covers. SPQR (unless I'm mistaken, which is always distinctly possible ) means "the senate and the people of Rome," and was the insignia written on the banners carried by the Roman legions.

Flor Aug 7th, 2006 05:34 AM

Pegontheroad - when I lived in Rome they used to joke that SPQR meant in reality "Sonno Pazzi Questi Romani" or "These Romans are mad"!!!! ;o)

sgerhar1 Aug 7th, 2006 05:53 AM

My favorite thing was just wandering around, peaking in back alleys and courtyards, and coming across an unexpected piaza with a lovely fountain. Also having a glass of wine on Campo di Fiore and people watching.

missypie Aug 7th, 2006 08:17 AM

I have fond memories of the first day, where we saw the inside of the Pantheon, then got our first gelato and sat on some steps and gazed at the Pantheon while we ate the gelato.

tcreath Aug 7th, 2006 08:48 AM

I absolutely love Rome. I don't know if I have a "best" experience. I simply love being there. I love ducking in and out of churches, sitting in cafes with my husband, people watching in one of the many piazzas. Rome is a lovely city, but taking time out to actually enjoy it is vital. If you rush around from one big site to another you will miss out of the best part of Rome; the city itself.

Tracy

GianniFL Aug 7th, 2006 09:21 AM

I have had some most memorable chats with various Romans. For example, in June, I met an elderly Roman gent on the 110 tour bus who told me it was much cheaper to see "my Roma" on the bus than in his car, as he had received three tickets during his Christmas car tour. "It cost me 210 euro", he said "to see my Roma". He went on to point out many things and sights, some of which I didn't know; and he said everything in that beautiful Roman accented English that I just love to hear. What a day!!!

TaffyA Aug 16th, 2006 09:03 PM

Thank you all for your insights! I have been to Rome, about 20 years ago now, and while I enjoyed the sights, really my fondest memory is of drinking big wonderful caffe lattes at an outdoor cafe. I will follow many of your suggestions on this trip. And would be glad to hear more!

gard Aug 16th, 2006 09:14 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome last summer. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there :d Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

LuvToRoam Aug 17th, 2006 05:31 AM

Rome is so beautiful (too bad so much graffiti) it is difficult to pick a best. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Dino & Tony's. Truly it was the way Italians like to eat, slowly, course by course. We did not place an order (there were 6 of us), they told us they would take care of it and the food and drink never stopped. I remember my mother-in-law (born in Italy) lamenting how fast Americans ate, "oh, in Italy we no do..." Meals were a special time as was the food, something that is still the same in much of Italy. Shirley

brando Aug 17th, 2006 06:06 AM

In all honestly a young lady named Maria

brando Aug 17th, 2006 06:15 AM

My second best experience was walking down a small side street in rome and looking up and seeing the collesium at the end of street. Incredible. How people with hand tools could creat such a feat.