Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What was most surreal to you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-was-most-surreal-to-you-311684/)

shelly_m Feb 26th, 2008 05:02 AM

What was most surreal to you?

When thinking about my upcoming trip to Rome, I am most excited about visiting the Pantheon. Ever since I first took Humanities in high school (a veeery long time ago), I have been wanting to see it in person.

I think it will be one of those "I can't even comprehend that I'm actually standing in front of the real thing" moments. You know...kind of like the first time you stood in front of the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, or Radio City Music Hall. It's surreal to be at those places when you have been looking at photos of them for your entire life.

What iconic place first made you feel this way?

Robespierre Feb 26th, 2008 05:10 AM

Notre Dame de Paris.

I had got off PanAm flight into Orly early on the rainy morning, made my way by bus and Métro to my digs, and immediately got on the first train to St-Michel stop.

Up the escalator, turn around, <i>et voil&agrave;</i> - the magnificent edifice I had known intimately from Hugo, countless movies, travel guides and coffee-table books for all my life.

And there I was.
And there it was.

Jake1 Feb 26th, 2008 05:11 AM

Arriving in Venice by water taxi from the airport. It was just a smudge on the horizon at first. Slowly it got bigger and more distinct--then the boat operator cut the engine back and we slide into the middle of this most unique of cities from the open lagoon. Magic.

Grcxx3 Feb 26th, 2008 05:13 AM

My first view of the pyramids.

ekscrunchy Feb 26th, 2008 05:22 AM

The Taj at full moon.

MissPrism Feb 26th, 2008 05:22 AM

Coming round a corner and seeing St. Marks with an oil-tanker parked behind it.
Going to the Uffizi and seeing &quot;The birth of Venus&quot; and &quot;Primavera&quot;.
I'd seen them in umpteen reproductions, but this was the real thing

amyb Feb 26th, 2008 05:26 AM

Shelly, the Pantheon did it for me in Rome. It was completely surreal and I remain mesmerized by it even still...

David in Florence, looking up from underneath the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. I can think back to all of these and it feels like a dream.

Nikki Feb 26th, 2008 05:27 AM

First, I don't know. But more recently, the cave paintings at Font de Gaume in the Dordogne.

And can I pick one more? The temple of the oracle at Delphi.

highflyer Feb 26th, 2008 05:29 AM

Stonehenge when I was 10 years old.

I'd not seen any pictures before I went and I was amazed by it. You could walk amongst the stones and touch them in those days. We were there just before dusk and that's the time I like to be there when I've revisited.

shelly_m Feb 26th, 2008 05:38 AM

My first time was the Eiffel Tower.

We were staying in the 1st, and could see it from the right bank of the Seine. We had only just arrived in Paris after an exhausting, two-days-in-Newark, still-in-our-same-clothes, weather-related-last-minute-change from going to Ireland.

Anyway...we walked all the way from the Louvre to the ET that night, in the rain, but it was worth every second. Absolutely beautiful!

quokka Feb 26th, 2008 05:38 AM

Sydney. Circular Quay, the Opera House and the bridge.

ms_go Feb 26th, 2008 05:41 AM

Red Square and the Kremlin in Moscow.

jaimeGL Feb 26th, 2008 05:49 AM

Have to say The White House. Always saw it on the BBC News growing up and now I live in DC suburb!

gomiki Feb 26th, 2008 06:44 AM

The Eiffel Tower viewed from Trocadero. It was Valentine's Day evening. It was a record temp (maybe 75!!!!). Coming up from the Metro, walking over the plaza and looking out to the Tower was magical. And romantic with the fountains and lights.

This post just made me go to www.paris-live.com !!! Thanks!

txtree Feb 26th, 2008 07:10 AM

Definitely the Parthenon. I was so overwhelmed to be on the Acropolis that I tripped and stubbed my toe. I was horrified to be bleeding on the ancient white marble - fortunately a kind soul gave me a bandage!

ira Feb 26th, 2008 07:37 AM

The first time I stepped out of the San Lucia train station onto the Grand Canal.

My first visit to Paris.

Pech Merle.

The David.

((I))

Statia Feb 26th, 2008 07:47 AM

My first cruise down the Grand Canal in Venice, along with renewing wedding vows with my husband on a gonodola the same trip. Very surreal.

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2008 07:53 AM

The Berlin Wall

luv2cthings Feb 26th, 2008 07:56 AM

The first in my lifetime would probably be the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. It was certainly iconic to me as an 8-year old.

The first in Europe would be in London, simply due to timing as London was my first European destination: Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

Others that made a big impact:

Notre Dame de Paris
Eiffel Tower
Acropolis of Athens
Brandenburg Gate
Piazza San Marco, Venice
St. Peter’s Square and Basilica
The Forum in Rome
Turning a corner and seeing the Trevi Fountain.

copper675 Feb 26th, 2008 07:59 AM

The Colosseum- my friend and I were coming up from the metro and staring at a map looking for the way to the Colosseum, and I looked up and there is was. Right in front of me. Wow.

Also in Rome- entering St. Peter's Basilica. So majestic, so ornate. And they don't build them like that anymore. Another breathtaking moment for me.