Reload this Page >

What Type of Luggage to Choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Tami

I'm traveling to Italy next month and would like some feedback from "well-worn" travellers. Is it best to get hard-side luggage? Has anyone had problems with soft-side luggage getting ripped open, etc. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the help in advance!!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:22 PM
John

You may want to do a search on this sight, there are some very good insights into luggage and luggage recommendations. <BR> <BR>I personally have not had and problem using softside luggage in Italy, Europe or the Pacific Rim. <BR> <BR>I typically have two bags, both expandable; but I reservce the expandable space for bringing those great finds back. <BR> <BR>I use 21" rollerboards.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Michele

Hi Tami! <BR>I know many people think it is silly to spend more than you normally would on something that has the potential to get destroyed, but I think it is worth the cost to have good luggage if you travel frequently. If not, don't bother with the expense. I have Tumi and LOVE it. It has been around the world many times, to Asia and Europe. And it has stood up to those vicious luggage carousels without a problem. It has amazing capacity abilities and the sturdiest wheels I have ever seen on a roller suitcase. I can even pile on other stuff and wheel it without a problem. I determined the money I had spent repairing other suitcases was getting ridiculous, so that is why I invested in the Tumi (and my husband was tired of me complaining about wheels jamming, ripping, etc!)

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:13 PM
mark

Thanks for the recommendation regarding Tumi - I've been wavering because it is pretty expensive (similiar Coach full leather pieces cost just a little bit more). I bought a Tumi mini courier / messenger type bag last year to use while sight seeing - it was great. Made me sight see lightly. My friend insisted on lugging around a back pack crammed with stuff he never once pulled out.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Tami

Michele: Is your Tumi soft-side? If so, have you had any problems with rips, tears, etc.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Michele

Tami: <BR>I have 4 pieces and they are all soft-sided....I don't think Tumi makes any of their products hard sided. My husband has had a duffle and garment bag for ten years with no problems at all and I have the big 28 inch roller and the smaller 21 inch roller which I have had for 2 years. Again, no problems and this is even after they have been tossed by taxi drivers, airline employees, etc. They have also been in the pouring rain (I live in London!) and my clothes have never been soaked! <BR> <BR>Even if you don't get Tumi, I have reservations about hard-sided luggage...I can't tell you how many times I have been standing there waiting for my luggage and have seen a hard-sided suitcase go by open with the clothes hanging out....