Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What type of gift to bring to German relatives?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Paula

I have not been to Germany for 30 years. I will be going in June to visit relatives there. Can any one give me any gift ideas to take to them? Do they have the same brands of candy that we have? What do we have here in the U.S. that they may not have? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Bob Brown

I have two comments on taking candy to Germany. One, I have seen plenty of Snickers bars in Europe. Two, taking chocolate to Germany would be in same league as taking beer. <BR>I suggest something from your area that is distinctive and unique and is either in the consumable area or the artistic area. <BR>The gift cannot be too large, of course, or you will have trouble carrying it. <BR>I live in Athens, Ga., and a local glass artist, who uses the name Bezundis, makes some beautiful artistic glassware. <BR>If there are some youngsters in the family, find out what they like in the way of whatever that racket is that comes out of their boom boxes and take them a CD or two. They are relatively cheaper over here than there. <BR>Or, if you live in the Soutwest, perhaps some real Navajo jewelry. <BR>A few years ago American college sweatshirts were the rage, even to the extent that they were being counterfeited. (Like a green and white sweat that says University of Michigan. <BR>[Oh Horror] Or how about a yellow and navy blue shirt with a bulldog head that reads University of Georgia? [Double horror.]) If those are still in, you might bundle up a University of whatever shirt and take it along. <BR>I am sure others will have more ideas than I.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:08 PM
John

Paula: <BR> <BR>My wife likes to pick up a flowering plant. Europeans love the outdoors and nature. A plant will be a nice rememerence <BR> <BR>JOHN

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Trudi

One rule....never ever bring food when you have been invited to someone's home for dinner. That is considered the ultimate insult. Not even desert!!! Flowers are always appropriate. As the earlier replies have suggested...a gift that reflects the area you come from. <BR>Many germans travel to the southwest so there obviously is an attraction. Something from there is always appreciated. Some small american gift for a child in the family always is a hit. Look for something unusual. A few cans of "silly string" will make a child's day.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Linda

What I have taken are electronic organizers. You can get them in all price ranges and they are much more expensive over there. Also, something that represents your area of the country. I used to say peanut butter but I saw some in a small grocery in Krakow so they have that now.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Leilani

I wouldn't take anything too heavy. I once hand-carried a bottle of California wine to a friend of a friend in London, only to have him say, "What - you don't think we have wine here?" And I had lugged that sucker all the way across a continent and an ocean! I felt like beaning him with the bottle... Locally made hostess gifts that have worked for me: fancy dishtowels, rolled up and tied with ribbon like diplomas; vacuum-packed sundried tomatoes; "bath tea"- bath salts that look like oversized teabags; stickers and sticker albums for children; San Francisco and UC-Berkeley T-shirts. I'm sure your relatives will appreciate anything you bring them. Visiting European friends have even brought me flowers and imported jams from our own town, and it was still a treat.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:16 PM
teka

Although I wouldn't suggest fancy candy, the kids in Europe love some the the varieties that the kids here like. Like Pop Rocks, Airheads, Nerds, those real sour candy, the ring candy.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Scooter

A friend of mine that travels to Europe a lot recommended that I take some of the new state quarters, a $2 bill or something unique to my area.