What type of clothes for restaurants?

May 30th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

What type of clothes for restaurants?

We're trying to pack lightly (in a couple of backpacks) and we're wondering if we want to go to a moderately priced dinner (not too fancy) what will we be expected to wear? For my husband, khakis, carpenter pants? For me, skirt? What's the most casual we can get away with? Thanks for all of the help on this forum, by the way, incredibly useful!
May 30th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

By the way, we'll be in Rome, Sorrento, Florence, Venice, etc... Sorry, forgot that part.
May 30th, 2003, 06:49 AM
LJ

As backpackers, we find that dining in decent places in Rome and Florence an even going to the Opera is best accomplished in black or navy.Lokks more elelgant, doesn't show wrinkles I take one of those Indian cotton skirts that is meant to be wrinkled and my husband swears by Tilley pants.
May 30th, 2003, 06:51 AM

in reality, all people living in europe and specifically Italy are not all dressing in the latest fashions. they are regular people who dress according to the society in which they live in. i would imagine that if you are concerned about this issue that you are a person who goes out to dinner while at home and have knowledge of what is acceptable. i'd say wear whatever you'd wear when you go to similar restaurants at home.
May 30th, 2003, 11:14 AM

you can see this is a difficult topic.
You would be fine in most places in a cotton skirt or dark slacks, with a tee shirt (non logo) or light sweater.
Your husband would be fine in khakis or dark pants and a polo shirt. Jacket and tie are required only at the very top, expensive, formal restaurants.

I'd skip the sneakers for dinner, if you are bringing any alternate shoes.
If not, you won't be ejected.