what type of car do we hire?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of 10 of us (3 mothers and 7 kids) are going to be staying at an agriturismo farm in Umbria between August 5 and 12 this year. We plan to hire a car/cars in Orvieto so that we can drive around the area and visit Assissi, hilltowns, etc. Do you think we are better off hiring one large people mover van or two small 5 seater cars? Some have told us it's difficult to manouvre and park the peoplemover in small villages and two cars is better. On the other hand, more fun to be in one vehicle? Any thoughts? Is navigation tricky? Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:08 AM
ira

Hi Z,

I'm not sure that 7 kids in one van is "fun".

I'd go with two cars.
2 adults in one car, one navigates.

Much easier to get around in small villages and country roads.

Probably cheaper, too.

Get diesels if you can. Fuel is about 20% cheaper.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM

I'd definitely go with the two vehicles because of the added flexibilty. You may not always all want to do the same things. There can easily be the sort of conflicts which benefit from a bit of a break from each other. And those who want to go back to base earlier can while those enjoying the planned outing can stay longer Etc
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:46 AM

We are a group of nine - three families each with one fifteen year olds (we met at pre-natal classes) renting a villa near Lucca in October. Echoing the other posters, we are renting three small cars as parking is difficult in the towns and also we will have a lot of independence and flexibility.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for replies. Given all three of you go with the 'smaller cars' rather than 'group wagon' idea, I think I'll go with your advice. Happy holidays!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Five person cars in europe are not small (small cars hold only 4 people) they're still farily large. But - a much better choice than some sort of giant van-like thing - both for maneurverability and flexibility in choices. (You won;t want to be joined at the hip the whole time.)

In any case practice up on both your shiftring and your parallel parking in small places before the trip.