What Travel Tribe Do You Belong To?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's Globe and Mail has an interesting piece on travel types. Which one are you?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...vel/TopStories
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM

That was hilarious, laverendrye! But I was not able to access the quiz on p. T5. Fortunately, I spotted my type right away. I am most definitely the CULTURA VULTURA with definitely a lot of the plan-a-holic sprinkled in (but I don't freak out if things don't go as planned) and an element or deux of SHOESTRINGUS THRIFTIUS (I do street food). BUT I do splurge every once in a while on my trips.

What are you?
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Good article, but I don't fit into any of those categories.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Indeed I did read it. It's very girly though. What about those distinct male travel-stereotypes:

1. The planner/ manager: Studies road maps for months; calculates travel times, measures tire pressure, calculates gas mileage, records all expenditures after converting prices to $$

2. The libertine: It's Europe so anything goes -- sunburned skirt-chaser, mid-day drunk, strolls down the seaside-village street in wife-beater, "banana hammock" and trainers....

3. The expert: glass-aloft appraiser of wine colour and bouquet, market cheese-sniffer, instant linguist...
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM

ted, you forgot the activities manager: family all lined up prompt at 8.45, for a full route march, combined with ascent of anything that can be climbed, dip in anything that can be swam in (provided it's not war, perish the thought), enthusiastic (on his part) ball games, etc., etc. Characteristic cry (to red-faced panting wife and children) 'Don't you feel better for that?'

BTW, what is a wife-beater as an article of clothing (I think I can guess what you mean by a banana-hammock, even though I suspect it's more often used for a small gherkin)?
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM

A wife-beater is one of those sleeveless ribbed undershirts.
http://www.cheapestees.com/amapmenta...OVMTC=standard
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Hmmm....I probably match the habitat of a Cultura Vultura, the markings of both a Adventurous Ooutdoorsus and a Shoestringus Thriftius, and the behavior of a Shoestringus Thriftius. My Overheard would be that of Adventurous Ooutdoorsus - "It's only another 14 hours to the top."

Hey Beatchick, a friendly tip...the next time you want to paste a long URL into these boards, try pasting it into the form at www.tinyurl.com and it will give you a tiny url for you to post! That way the URL won't widen the page.
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Oooh, sunny16, I didn't know one could DO that - thanks so much for the head's up - I will certainly do that next time!
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I'm definitely CULTURA VULTURA and a plan-a-holic (which explains my presence on these boards). Thanks for sharing, lavendar! - h.
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I can;t really find us there. We're sort of cultura vulturas - with a tiny touch of scenestera fashionistas - but there' still a lot missing - mostly the casuale wandering cafe sitting parts.

Also we are scenery lookers - and mild walkers (no climbing, light hiking you can do in regular walking shoes - no more than an hour or so).
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM

LOL, Which Tribe?
I agree with Kayb, we don't fit into any of these catagories yet, we sort of fit into a few of them..although I don't think we have yet attained that exalted status if Thriftius..I just am not that comfortable with eating food off the street and no matter how hard I try, our trips never turn out Cheap!
tedgale &amp; Patrick, I <u>do</u>like your additions LOL
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM
yk

I'm definitely a &quot;plan-a-holic.&quot;
I think I should be on Paxil to counter some of my obsessive-complusiveness.
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM

yk,
Maybe they will invent a Travel-Paxil
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:26 AM

You never had a cr&ecirc;pe from a cr&ecirc;pe vendor? That's street food.

The beauty of traveling thrifitly is the ability to splurge on a few things such as having tea at the Ritz, dining on an 85&euro; lunch at a great restaurant, possessing more money with which to shop. It's a great way to go!